IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

my windshield just decided to crack today - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-13, 02:09 PM
f22s2k
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my windshield just decided to crack today - HELP

a few days ago i heard what sounded like a rock hitting my windshield. i inspected the windshield after parking but didnt notice any damage or cracks. today as i was washing my car and lifting the wipers to wipe down the water, i noticed a small rock chip a little below the wiper sitting area. it didnt look that bad so i thought nothing of it and finished washing and as i was cleaning the interior, i noticed a huge gash looking crack forming from the area of the crack in front of my eyes. it starts from the bottom of the windshield itself all the way to about mid-height of the glass. i believe the california heat caused it to cause the crack to spread wider.

my insurance wants $1000 deductible to have it covered, dealer wants $1500 for replacement including tax and labor, and local shops are asking about $375-400 for an OEM glass but without the lexus logo. i don't remember what brand it was but he told me its the same glass that manufacturers for lexus but the only difference is its not branded with the lexus logo.

can any of you guys suggest the best option for this unfortunate event?
Old 04-12-13, 02:11 PM
f22s2k
Driver School Candidate

also, everyone is asking if it has the rain sensors or the windshield is heated. i told them rain sensor yes and heated no. correct me if i am wrong.
Old 04-12-13, 02:26 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Had the same thing happen to me a few years ago on the 08 ISF. Rock hit in the middle of the windshield, crack spread over the next couple of days, had to get it replaced.

Tried to go through insurance to get a genuine Lexus windshield, but they wouldn't do it. I believe the cost was around $1500 total as well. Went 3rd party for $300 installed. It has the cutout for the rain sensor, so fitment wasn't an issue. If I remember correctly, I think the brand was "Pilkington."

I could tell that there was no "rain repellent" properties like the OEM windshield, so I just applied Aquapel. But otherwise, sound insulation and clarity seem identical to OEM, I had no issues with it.

I believe the installer makes a big difference. The way they clean up and apply the sealant is important for noise.

A few months later, another rock hit the replacement windshield. Had it repaired instead since it didn't crack. No reason to spend $1500+ for an OEM windshield when rocks chips are inevitable.
Old 04-12-13, 02:39 PM
f22s2k
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by itsmike177
Had the same thing happen to me a few years ago on the 08 ISF. Rock hit in the middle of the windshield, crack spread over the next couple of days, had to get it replaced.

Tried to go through insurance to get a genuine Lexus windshield, but they wouldn't do it. I believe the cost was around $1500 total as well. Went 3rd party for $300 installed. It has the cutout for the rain sensor, so fitment wasn't an issue. If I remember correctly, I think the brand was "Pilkington."

I could tell that there was no "rain repellent" properties like the OEM windshield, so I just applied Aquapel. But otherwise, sound insulation and clarity seem identical to OEM, I had no issues with it.

I believe the installer makes a big difference. The way they clean up and apply the sealant is important for noise.

A few months later, another rock hit the replacement windshield. Had it repaired instead since it didn't crack. No reason to spend $1500+ for an OEM windshield when rocks chips are inevitable.
Yea, I just called a local reputable shop and they quoted me $243 for the Pilkington brand including tax, labor, and mobile service to my house. I guess that's the best option at this moment. I'm hoping this never happens again. First time ever having windshield cracks on all of my cars. Maybe it's because I drive so fast and the rocks flying at me have stronger impact upon contact
Old 04-12-13, 03:06 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Club Lexus price for the OEM windshield from Sewell Lexus is $693.62. The OEM glass has some unique features, but at the end of the day, it's up to you. Install will include the glass and some other parts that get destroyed removing the old glass, but as said above, the installation is the key part. If the installer doesn't do good work, it won't matter how good the glass is.
Old 04-12-13, 03:17 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks, just remembered, that the 2 black "side panels" along with the plastic clips underneath will be destroyed. The panels cover both sides of the windshield for aero, noise, dirt reduction most likely.
The installer had no choice but to break the clips to remove the windshield, and was going to "glue" them back on, but the clips in the Panel themselves were broken too.

I had to purchase them from Sewell along with 10 plastic "clips" for them. Pretty pricey too, I think it was over $100 shipped for both panels and clips.

Update: found the invoice for the panels/molding:

$37.16 per molding, Right/Left
$3.90 each plastic molding clip, I ordered 12 of them just in case. You will need 10.

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Club Lexus price for the OEM windshield from Sewell Lexus is $693.62. The OEM glass has some unique features, but at the end of the day, it's up to you. Install will include the glass and some other parts that get destroyed removing the old glass, but as said above, the installation is the key part. If the installer doesn't do good work, it won't matter how good the glass is.

Last edited by itsmike177; 04-12-13 at 03:25 PM.
Old 04-12-13, 03:29 PM
RCM83
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man I've been thinking about just getting mine replaced because it has tiny rock chips galore but not for $1500!! Ouch.
Old 04-12-13, 03:41 PM
f22s2k
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by itsmike177
Thanks, just remembered, that the 2 black "side panels" along with the plastic clips underneath will be destroyed. The panels cover both sides of the windshield for aero, noise, dirt reduction most likely.
The installer had no choice but to break the clips to remove the windshield, and was going to "glue" them back on, but the clips in the Panel themselves were broken too.

I had to purchase them from Sewell along with 10 plastic "clips" for them. Pretty pricey too, I think it was over $100 shipped for both panels and clips.

Update: found the invoice for the panels/molding:

$37.16 per molding, Right/Left
$3.90 each plastic molding clip, I ordered 12 of them just in case. You will need 10.
I asked my installer guy regarding this and he told me since my car is only 7 months old and considering the molding and clips are relatively new it will be an easy removal and replacement of those particular parts. He offers lifetime guarantee and warranty on his work so I'm guessing if he breaks any of those parts he will be responsible on replacing it.
Old 04-12-13, 03:43 PM
f22s2k
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
BTW, the Pilkington glass is OEM and the only difference between the Lexus one and that is the branded logo. It was just what I was told by all the shops I called. Maybe it was a selling point but for everyone to tell me the exact same thing makes me wonder if it is actually true.
Old 04-12-13, 04:05 PM
RCM83
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's probably true and honestly I have heard the aftermarket glass is more resistant pitting as well. Only thing it might affect is resale value a bit since some people want all OEM. I doubt its any different structurally as Pilkington makes great glass.
Old 04-12-13, 04:22 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Send Borje.Orthagen@se.nsg.com and email. He's the Pilkington rep for automotive glass in Japan. If anyone knows, he does.
Old 04-12-13, 05:54 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

FWIW - I had the windshield replaced in my last Lexus by the dealer's glass shop but to satisfy my insurance company they installed Plinkinton "OEM' glass and it was terrible. Install was good but the glass was a much lighter tint, didn't block as much sound, didn't repel water like the original and the rain sensing wipers didn't work as well as before. Price difference was substantial and the car was a lease but be warned - it won't be the same. It was the first time I couldn't get my insurance to pay for "logo" glass.

Dave Mac
Old 04-12-13, 05:56 PM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by f22s2k
a few days ago i heard what sounded like a rock hitting my windshield. i inspected the windshield after parking but didnt notice any damage or cracks. today as i was washing my car and lifting the wipers to wipe down the water, i noticed a small rock chip a little below the wiper sitting area. it didnt look that bad so i thought nothing of it and finished washing and as i was cleaning the interior, i noticed a huge gash looking crack forming from the area of the crack in front of my eyes. it starts from the bottom of the windshield itself all the way to about mid-height of the glass. i believe the california heat caused it to cause the crack to spread wider.

my insurance wants $1000 deductible to have it covered, dealer wants $1500 for replacement including tax and labor, and local shops are asking about $375-400 for an OEM glass but without the lexus logo. i don't remember what brand it was but he told me its the same glass that manufacturers for lexus but the only difference is its not branded with the lexus logo.

can any of you guys suggest the best option for this unfortunate event?

Having had several hundred customer windshields replaced by this point, I will say that the. Installer is the biggest source of potential contention here. If the installer has been doing this for some time
And is good the glass quality is the least of your concerns. Just make sure you have an experienced and competent installer and you should be fine. For what it's worth in the Pittsburgh area we have had a ****load of problems with safelite auto glass. A LOT of leaks which is the normal issue with auto glass installs. Hope this helps.
Old 04-12-13, 06:45 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Safelite repair Safelite replace.... commercial is stuck in my head
Old 04-12-13, 08:31 PM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Default Safelite

Originally Posted by Just F Me
Safelite repair Safelite replace.... commercial is stuck in my head
Lol..the funny thing is I have never seen the same installer come into our shop twice it is ALWAYS a different guy. That's says something about a company if they can't keep an employe.

Quick Reply: my windshield just decided to crack today - HELP