IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

BMW 335i vs ISF

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-13, 10:35 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by blitz_714
u going to take it everytime no problem here, now if u run the M3 mods or any other with similar rival to the F, then u need header, and reduce weight on the car, change out suspension, lighter wheels, install header, gut out your trunk=spare tires tools, all the accessories that u dont need in daily driving and 1/4 of gas tank. Your i deal is the F weight about 3500lbs=for daily driver but for track now u can take out all the seats , I/E/H , 1/4 gas tank and LET'S ROLL
Blitz_714 is exactly right...make sure you take all that crap out when you drag race your 335 fanbuddy. I do have to say though, since you got some time until april, look at getting either the Sikky or PPE headers. I don't remember which Blitz_714 has, but when he let me drive his car...it's a VERY noticeable power increase. I think the I/H/E is suppose to add like 40-60whp
Old 03-15-13, 10:59 AM
tgui
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a header.

Race on a track.

Subtract a second each time one of your cars goes into the shop.

In my 3 years of ownership I have NEVER been in the shop.
Old 03-15-13, 11:21 AM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

Tell him to race you multiple times.
At the end of the day, the winner of you two will be his fuel pump.
Old 03-15-13, 11:53 AM
M3EATR
Rookie

I actually did look into getting headers, but 1300 for headers plus another 800 for install seems a bit high right now. Sikky claims 50whp gain from headers, would have been nice but money is tight right now. For me beating him isnt a priority, im 30 years old, married and I have a life lol... Whevever that day comes, ill empty my trunk, get a 1/4 tank and meet him at the track... if he wins, great, if not i walk away a double winner, with performance and reliability!
Old 03-15-13, 12:11 PM
RCM83
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, I've got a few friends in the BMW fanboy club as well, one with an M3 and one with a 335IS. The M3 is definitely faster than I am now since he's putting down 400 to the wheels and the 335IS is putting down about 375 I think. I'm not really sure if he's faster or not because we never really "raced" just had spirited drives to C&C together but we basically all stayed right with each other (before the M3 was modded). It would be a pretty close race I imagine but you should be able to get him.
Old 03-15-13, 12:14 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

I had a "tuned" 335i that ran 12.89 at the track (can't remember the mph, but it was under 110). My ISF bone stock feels faster, but I've never tracked it. The ISF is a nicer car all the way around in my opinion. I don't know a lot about the COBB tune, but if it is similar to the JB4, then he's not slow. Still, with your mods, I think you'll be faster.

Related story: I had a 335xi that was going the same route that I was going home just the other week and he kept lining up next to me at the stop lights. The first time he took off like we were racing while I just took off normally and I was surprised at how fast he was. The 2nd light I took off a little more aggressively, but not a full launch and not flooring it, and again he went right by me. When I came to the 3rd light I was debating whether or not I should launch on his a$$ but luckily he took a turn and we never got the chance to try. Just as well, because I definitely don't need to be stoplight racing and reckless driving. I'd like to think I would have just let him go, but I was kinda irritated.
Old 03-15-13, 12:36 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

You shouldn't have a time pulling off consistent wins if you drive your car correctly. I would also look to race some M3s as there parked lol
Old 03-15-13, 04:03 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Cobb Stage 1 would probably be similar to a 335is or 1Mseries in power. From a standstill, both cars will be even until 50-60mph and the ISF will slowly pull ahead. Not much but still pulling slightly.

From a 60mph roll, if he would to floor it even 1 second before you, the ISF will have a difficult time matching the speed and passing by which both would be exceeding 110mph or run into traffic.

ISF is slightly faster than lightly tuned 335's. Moderately/heavily tuned 335's, the ISF has no chance at any "safe" speed.
Old 03-15-13, 06:14 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

The 335is with JB4 and a larger front mount can run mid 12s at +114mph. That would make for a very close race with an ISF with exhaust and cat deletes.
Old 03-15-13, 07:08 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Capn
Hate to say it, but that is typical of "that" type of BMW owner. The ones that ruin it for all the rest of them (us).
Yeah. On my daily commute I see 335i's a lot and they have almost all universally been ******. And I've given this more than a year to conclude. Lots of racer flybys (even in construction and school zones) and speeding up to cut me off when there was no need and the other lane had no traffic.

Ironically the M3's like to gun it from stoplights but are 10x more polite under all other conditions.
Old 03-15-13, 09:43 PM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lysis250
Don't worry about the 335i that's competition for the is350 not the isF. You should be able to take home without a problem what so ever.
335's can be rolling around with 400-500whp. I promise you there are many that can beat IS-Fs.

I traded my 335 for my IS-F, and know quite a bit about the 335. If he is only running a stock, off the shelf Cobb map stage 1, you should beat him pretty easy.
Old 03-15-13, 09:50 PM
djhydro
Driver

Ur friend wishes he had an IS-F.. Don't fall weak with what he says.

How old are u guys again?
Old 03-15-13, 10:03 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

that is kind of a tough one because a modded 335i does get fast. ive rode shotgun in a modded one and i can say that was the least laggiest turbo car ive ever rode in. but i would think from a roll the F should be able to pull him.

now from a stop i dont think the F should be behind at all. its hard to match V8 torque down low
Old 03-16-13, 05:30 AM
Mikifiki
Driver School Candidate

I also had a 335i before my ISF. Anyone that tells you this race will be cake for you knows little about the 335i and hasn't driven one. Its going to be a really close race. That car makes immediate torque. Stock it makes full torque under 1500. We dont get it till 3800. Stock for stock it feels faster off the line. For sure if you go, go from a roll and shift down into the powerband first. He could still beat you depending on how many horses his mods are adding. I honestly wouldnt race him. Its a lose lose for you. If you win you were suppose to because you paid more, if you lose you'll never hear the end of it. Our car is a nicer car and I would just sit on that perch and not come down. The risk reward for this race is not in your favor.
Old 03-16-13, 06:22 AM
Boma
Lead Lap

Yeah modded 335i's are no joke. Even modded 1 series can pack a punch with the right mods. So unless you absolutely know the capabilities of his car then I would just take the high road and him be a hater. Be happy that you have the more reliable car and you will be the last one laughing.

Quick Reply: BMW 335i vs ISF