IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

BMW 335i vs ISF

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-13, 06:32 AM
staman
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Capn
Hate to say it, but that is typical of "that" type of BMW owner. The ones that ruin it for all the rest of them (us). And yes, I am BMW guy as well.

BMW's are great. They certainly are a drivers car. And yes, you can tune the crap out of them. I've owned a lot of them but the Lexus is a fabulous car with outstanding technology. I have a few of those BMW friends that talked a little dung when I got mine. Then I took them for a ride in it and it opened their eyes.

I buy my cars for me. Not anyone else. We're all different, it's what makes the world go round.

and with that, beat the hell outta him at the drag strip! lol Good luck.
Thats why I got these plates. Seeing guys in M3/M5's trying to take me out makes me laugh. I toy with them. There's nothing they can do about it and they get soooo bent out of shape.
Name:  335295_10151221695141117_1079548705_o_zps0bd663e2.jpg
Views: 911
Size:  45.0 KB
Old 03-16-13, 11:01 AM
tgui
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

335 owners tend to be a different less mature breed. The M owners I've met have all been great. Thumbs up from M3s and M5s! Conversations to boot.

Actually, all M's and CTSVs Ive met have been great. C63 and 335 owners were all dicks.
Old 03-16-13, 01:47 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^LOL that license plate is amazing and justifiable....staman don't you have the alpha 9 package?
Old 03-16-13, 06:33 PM
AMGWNAB
Rookie

I have an N54 335. With the mods you mentioned, you should be able to take him. I doubt you obliterate him, but you should win. Avoid a roll race if it's good and cool though, because the turbos will shine a little more in those conditions. You probably shouldn't worry unless he installs some downpipes & exhaust. That would allow him to turn up the Cobb, and then it'd be a whole different car.

Let us know how it goes, it should make for some fun runs.

-Will
Old 03-16-13, 10:26 PM
staman
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
^LOL that license plate is amazing and justifiable....staman don't you have the alpha 9 package?
No, Switzer P800 and stage 3 transmission build from dodson motorsport
Old 03-17-13, 06:24 AM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

I dont know what year your ISF is but if its a 2010+ with the LSD,, YOU WILL EAT HIM ALIVE!! Lol,, I had an 08 Isf without the lsd and ran it at the track against my buddys 08 335 with a jb4 chip and intake and we were neck to neck,, I had a K&N intake on my IsF and that was it... Since your buddy only has a stage 1,, I really doubt you will even need to fear him.. BE A MAN!! Take him down at the track.. Lol
Old 03-17-13, 06:35 AM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

BTW,, I ran a 13 flat at the track @ 109mph,, kinda dissapointed at the time,, couldnt justify spending $50k+ on a car that only ran 13s, and to make it worst,, the car was na,, so it would have been near impossible to really make any huge gains without costing an arm and a leg.. I ended up getting rid of the car and boy do I regret it,, thinking back,, My IsF was a beautiful car,, reliable,, gas efficient,, turned heads everywhere,, and very well balanced,, but oh wells,, what can you do,, it is what it is.. I really like the new IsF with the Lsd,, cant believe that its calling for a 12.4 quarter mile from the factory,, thats very very fast,, I would love to get the IsF back,, but cant afford one at the moment,, they are near $70k nowadays.. So I found a hopefully cheaper alternative,, I just recently put a deposit down on a 13 Audi S4,, giving it a shot,, fingers crossed,, hopefully theres no horror story in that car.. lol
Old 03-17-13, 06:49 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-Fly168
I really like the new IsF with the Lsd,, cant believe that its calling for a 12.4 quarter mile from the factory,, thats very very fast,
Well, for what it is worth, I'm pretty sure nobody has ever managed a 12.4 quartermile in a stock ISF of any model year. But yeah, you did get rid of a great car, 13.0 or not!
Old 03-17-13, 07:26 AM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

12.4 was hit with a couple of stock IS-F. Just needed good weather and some good 60' times. The car is probably a 12.6 car when driven correctly under "normal" weather. The difference between 13.0 and 12.6 is short vs. deep staging and hitting the gears right at redline and making sure you do a decent burnout. With street tires, 1.9 60' is about all you can get. For drag racing, having the right car is important but so is knowing your car. If you look at dragtimes, you'll notice that the first time I went with my car, I was also just hitting 13.2 at 110. I dropped it a whole 8/10 second later on just by experimenting with launch, staging, and when to shift and changing rims down to 18" (but still just street tires) and going on better weather.

Last edited by ToothDoc; 03-17-13 at 07:46 AM.
Old 03-17-13, 08:16 AM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

Drag strips and their location also have a huge affect on your times... The altitude of the track and air density of the individual day, along with how hot it is plays into it. I know most local tracks will not prep the strip much at all for just normal street legal nights because they dont care, just want entry fee money. I know people that can try their hardest at a strip close to me and cant come within like 3/10 or 4/10s of their times at a track farther away that is alway prepped better and better altitude.
Old 03-17-13, 08:42 AM
vbb

I'll admit that I am not a regular on dragtimes, but I wonder where people were cutting 12.4s bone stock? That seems absurdly quick (not that I'm complaining, mind you). I know that MIR is frequently regarded as one of the fastest tracks on the East Coast (I've run there a few times with other cars)... I wonder if it was there.

This also begs the question of why we haven't seen more ISFs in the 11s without nitrous? You gotta figure with headers and exhaust, and drag radials, that'd be worth at LEAST .5 off, and maybe more like .6 or .7. I'd love to see some NA ISFs going 11.8 or better.
Old 03-17-13, 08:55 AM
BS ISF
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Toothdoc knows. With just i/e and dr i went 12.3's and I'm 6'3" 250. Da was not great but good. And toothdoc was consistant 11.95-11.99 every time so n/a isf are still pretty damn quick for 3800lbs!
Old 03-17-13, 10:17 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Cobb Stage 1 map with a BOV and no dyno tune? That BOV may cause him to run rich, I'd be very interested to see his dyno sheets, his AFR's might be a little off...........

I personally don't really care for people who talk too much $h1T without backing it up, if I were you just ignore him. If you beat him, hopefully that will shut him up.

When his engine seizes and the warranty is up, and he's having to sell his car and get another one, your 'F' will be still on the road for a long time to come.
Old 03-18-13, 07:41 AM
vbb

No, only an idiot wouldn't be worried about reliability to some extent. I don't care if you're driving around a $5K beater or you have millions in disposable income, dealing with a car breaking down on you when you don't expect it is a pain. Reliability has to be part of the equation... and it is up to each of us to decide how much of that we want to give up for performance. If reliability was not a factor at all, I'd probably have an M3 rather than an ISF right now, but I simply did not trust that the M3 would be as trouble free as the ISF. I seriously considered an M3 too (as many of us probably did if we're being honest).
Old 03-18-13, 08:26 AM
kolyan
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

oh...wow, looks like i have an account here as well

I came from 335i to S2000 though. But I have to agree with post above. Reliability is important, its a pain to always have to deal with dealerships.

I had e46 M3 and e92 335i and both had problems (both were great cars too), wasnt enough to annoy me but i can see the negative here.

Quick Reply: BMW 335i vs ISF