Worst GPS system ever!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-13, 02:06 PM
djeuch
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
Originally Posted by Reaper21
Can you explain how this hooks up? I went to the link you provided but it did not expand much on how the unit is connected to the car.
you have to access the harnesses at the back of the head unit. comes with all instructions on how to take it off
It's really not that bad. My install took me about 40 minutes. The hardest part is the removal of the air vents at the top, but even the instructions say the same thing (that this is the hardest part of the install).

You end up removing a lot of pieces, but as long as you take your time and use a blunt tool (I used a 2"x2" plastic kitchen scraper for most of the trim removals), there's really no trace of anything having been done.
Old 02-18-13, 02:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by djeuch
It's really not that bad. My install took me about 40 minutes. The hardest part is the removal of the air vents at the top, but even the instructions say the same thing (that this is the hardest part of the install).

You end up removing a lot of pieces, but as long as you take your time and use a blunt tool (I used a 2"x2" plastic kitchen scraper for most of the trim removals), there's really no trace of anything having been done.
yes, same here, 30-40 mins max. probably 1/3 of the time dealing with that upper air vent. whoever designed it should be fired
Old 02-19-13, 06:36 AM
pep71
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by anxiouz
There are 2 while-car-is-in-motion lockdowns...

(1) "nav" which includes browsing mp3 folders, entering nav destinations, accessing the phonebook, placing calls

(2) "dvd" which will allow video

The "browse folders" basically means browse music.

Without a nav bypass your can't browse an iPod using the nav screen once the car is moving. The folder/file buttons get disabled. If you burn a disc with mp3's on it now, once your moving all you can do is click Next Track/Previous Track. You can't touch the screen to switch folders. Same concept/interaction applies to an iPod.

I've got the BeatSonic nav+dvd bypass in addition to an iPod integration kit. I haven't looked back. Some ipod kits include the nav bypass, some don't. The ML+ is the grand-daddy though...I'm pretty sure it does it all.
Which ipod integration do you have?

I want to be able to unlock both nav+dvd and also have the flexibility to browse either an ipod or a usb....Dont want to pay for ML+ since it does not unlock nav....
Old 02-19-13, 10:10 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by pep71

I want to be able to unlock both nav+dvd and also have the flexibility to browse either an ipod or a usb....Dont want to pay for ML+ since it does not unlock nav....
i don't know about other companies, but no vaistech ipod integration override the navigation and dvd as far as i know. i say you still need override of some kind on the nav and dvd. if you just want regular ipod audio (no fancy graphics), just get the vaistech sl3i as well. it works very well and the override will allow you to access all folders inside the ipod as well when car is moving.

if you want usb as well, then you need at least the vml.

this is for 08-09 isf
Old 02-19-13, 10:28 AM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pep71

I currently have the Vaistech SL2VI ipod kit but before getting it I already had the BeatSonic nav/dvd override. I mostly listened to mp3 discs or live concert DVDs and needed the override so that I didn't need to pull over just to hit Play from the dvd menu or easily switch music folders.

To be honest, I would just plan on buying a nav override in addition to an iPod kit. I can't keep it straight which iPod kits include an override or not but a small number do. And those only bypass nav (since that's how you browse music) and likely don't bypass video for dvd playback.

To do USB on top of all bypasses...I'm not sure any single unit can do all of that.

The BeatSonic is one of the cheaper nav/dvd options (around $200 new, much less used so check the classifieds here) and the button to override is ugly but works just fine.

The Prestige Society unit looks way nicer but to me wasn't worth the extra $100 for identical functionality.

I don't want to steer this GPS complaint thread into another direction, so you're welcome to PM me if you'd like and we can discuss things further there (or via email).