IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Why Did You Buy Your IS F? (Info For New Owners & Future Owners)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-13, 10:15 AM
MouthOfWar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DansonISF

lol i dunno anyone having F in H-town beside u seen like people love truck or other car then iSF LOL heeh
Keep in touch then we could be the founders of the Houston chapter lol
Old 08-02-13, 10:38 AM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 77 Posts

I had my Integra GS-R that I invested a lot of time in money in, stolen right after my wife and I got married. We used my insurance money and got an Infiniti M35 Sport which my wife fell in love with. Which led me to driving her beater, 1999 Chevy Cavalier... drove that sucker for 3 years and kept saving up my pennies. It was time to splurge on myself so I wanted to find something that had some POWER, rear wheel drive, luxurious, 4 doors, and RELIABLE! I was eye balling the M3, C63, RS4 and the ISF. Basically, the ISF won over my decision since it was everything that I wanted, including it was in my price range and got the best gas mileage out of my options. Even though we drive sports cars, I still try to conserve on gas where I can since I commute M-F with this beast :P /end
Old 08-02-13, 01:25 PM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Basically I had a 2010 Evo X GSR (manual) that was slightly modded (330awhp). Anyone who's ever ridden in an evo or owned on knows that car is all power no luxury. After a few years of owning it I realized that the car wasn't as refined as I wanted it to be due. Plus I was commuting 50-100 miles a day for work (in LA traffic).

Decided I wanted a more quiet, luxurious car that still gave me the option of shifting whenever I wanted. I considered the M3 for a bit but the reliability wasnt there. The ISF met all my criteria (basically the same criteria as the other responses in this thread), with the two most important being that the car needed to be more powerful than my Evo, and reliable so that I wouldn't have to worry about headaches in the future. Therefore the F made the most sense. I love the car and have no regrets on the purchase, although I miss my Evo dearly (the F can't corner and handle as nimble as the Evo IMO, and I also miss driving a manual).

Eventually though, I do plan on buying a fun daily driver beater to get my manual urges out of the way. Most likely a Miata or something of that nature.
Old 08-02-13, 02:07 PM
laopadak
Rookie

Picked up my used 09' Black Obsidian F just last week, 20K miles. Was in the market for a luxury sport car and considered a 4-5yr old Audi S4, RS4, M3, M5, E63 and good lord, even the CTS-V....

Opted for the F mostly for reliability, quality, luxury and there's not too many luxury sport Japanese sedans available.

Played with Hondas, Evo's and even considered a newer STI. At the end of the day, I'm super happy with my decision and look forward to a long, loving relationship with my F.
Old 08-04-13, 08:55 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Speaking for 2011+ isfs:

As my tastes evolve, I am less susceptible to falling prey to marketing brand hype. The only auto heritage I buy into is the 911 because it is truly unique. The only other car I looked at was an M3 coupe. A few friends own them and they enjoy it, and I used to own an e46 new back a year or two shy of a decade.

-ISF looks better stock for stock. I'm a big visuals guy so lowering on perfectly fitting wheels is de facto standard. I find all oem wheel setups to sit too in-board, not wide enough, too narrow a tire, etc. M3 looks fantastic on 20" BBS LMS, but still needs body accouterments whereas the ISF needs nothing else. Nothing except maybe paint trim work to get rid of some of the chrome.

-M3 v8 gets all the industry accolades, but honestly, the yamaha touched LS block motor is torquier, silky!, and matched to a more real world realistic transmission. I love knowing f1 engineers worked on the isf project to make it what it is. The 2ur-gse was their baby and it shows in spades everytime you press the throttle. Reviewers state it is like a reg lexus under 4k rpm. I call ignorance. The 5 dot O scoots from the light and you can actually feel all its considered engineering quality at every rpm, each type of workload. It is a special motor with its titanium bits, hollowed out metals for weight savings, mirror shined surfaces, the list goes on. The only thing both motors lack is a true dry sump system, but this is arguably overkill on commuter chassis based cars designed for the daily grind.

-ironically, it is the four door sedan only model that offers you a cockpit like feel. I fit and feel much more connected in the isf than the german counterpart. You feel more upright with its perpendicular shapes and oddly placed cubby hole nav screen. I like the bread box console tunnel separating the driver position from everything else much like the 911. The A-pillar cuts ever so inward to almost feel like a rollcage which lends to the intimate feel.

Everything about the isf feels like a mad scientist project w motivation culled from a desire to rule the world. The F brands first effort to compete in a category where its primary competitors have had a 30+ year head start deserves recognition.

Well done team F.

Last edited by ROK; 08-04-13 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-04-13, 02:56 PM
powermungr
Rookie

Talking

My reasons were a bit more nostalgic and sentimental than others. In 98 when I bought my Celica GT, my only regret was not getting the color I really wanted (Silver). Then there was the starting instrument panel ceremony that was absent in my 2GS models.

So when it was time to buy the F the Silver was screaming “second chance” to me. I also remember hearing the engine for the first online and thinking what kind of witchcraft and internet trickery is this. I vowed to investigate further. I think of it now as a Siren’s song.

I decided back when I first heard rumors of the F - I would have this car. It was merely a question of timing which translated into patiently waiting a very long time for my ISF. First there was the housing bubble, then the credit crunch years, then the tsunami in Japan (slowed use imports) and then the years of the hysterically biased reviews and from nearly all reviewers. They were reading from the same script. Only MotorTrend (see the Ignition esp 33) and MotorWeek were fair (IMO). Carlos Lago said all that needed to be said about the F.

It’s what I wanted.
Old 08-04-13, 03:41 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but the 2012 felt diff than the pre '11 ISFs. May be just me.

Last edited by ROK; 08-04-13 at 03:55 PM.