IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Is This Normal? (Quality Issues)

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-13, 01:00 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

good news is that it can be buffed out out using a mini pad on a good orbital buffer.
Old 01-15-13, 01:28 PM
SeanGTS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Weird... my exhaust isnt like that (the mesh part or the peeling part) on my 2010.
Old 01-15-13, 10:44 PM
Defratos
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
I think I found your answer.... On the "Peeling & Hazing" on your 2013 IS-F

Looks to me like, whatever he is using to "CLEAN" you car in those areas is causing the issues...

Everything else looks normal..

~ Joe Z
Well the only thing I've had him use to clean my car is Meguiars --> http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotiv...car-wash-64oz/

This shouldn't have caused the problem, I've been using it on all my previous cars and my other cars I have at the moment with no issues to the other cars.

If he was using Fairy dish washer liquid or something then yes I would understand.

Originally Posted by stratman
Hi Defratos,

Just checked my 2012 and yes, both sides of the mesh are bent in. Probably to clear the bumper properly. Also if you look closely, you'll find that directly above the bent in mesh it also is not painted. The chipped paint, however, is not normal unless the tip got bent and it caused the paint to crack and finally start to peel. On my 2009 IS F I actually had stronger welds on the tips to ensure that they would not break off like some have had. I used flat black high temp. engine paint to touch up the inside of the tips. As for the hazing, mine looks similar. I didn't notice it until your post. Maybe so that glare doesn't obsure the readouts in that panel?
Yeah I checked the other side last night and sure enough it is also bent,

I think I'll be looking at getting the welds strengthened up as well for the future.

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
the dash, looks like he used degreaser which ate up the plastics.
Originally Posted by Joe Z
Bingo..... And whatever was sprayed on the Tips loosened the internal black paint...

These items are WAY TO NEW to have this type of rapid aging effect..

~ Joe Z
No one has touched the interior of my car in terms of cleaning it, so no one has used any sort of degreaser or any sort of cleaning up liquid on the interior, I haven't let anyone clean the inside of the car.

Originally Posted by SeanGTS
Weird... my exhaust isnt like that (the mesh part or the peeling part) on my 2010.
Very weird, maybe they've changed this on 2011 models on wards.

Thanks for the feedback guys, at least I know the exhaust metal mesh bend is ok.

As for the chips in the tips I will have the dealers look into that, as well as the interior AC display.

I really hope the AC display just has a plastic cover on top because I didn't have time to check today, I'll try tomorrow and see if I can see any protective plastic film on top.

Being a first time Lexus buyer I'm already shocked at how the "said" quality of Lexus isn't coming true for me at least. My 2008 G35 sedan didn't have this many problems even years after ownership.

Still love the car but these issues need to be sorted out by the dealer when I take it into service next time.

With the car only 1 month old!!!! these issues should not happen unless I have intentionally abused the car which I never do, and I'm actually very **** about who touches my car and what is done to it.
Old 01-15-13, 11:08 PM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
You are probably SOL on your exhaust thing, you could possibly remove it from your car and tell them it fell off.....but that would be dishonest.
but it would work!
Old 01-16-13, 02:01 AM
BULLIT
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it possible to replace that plastic piece where its hazed around the clock or does the whole section need to be replaced? I noticed the clear section around the shifter also gets easily scratched if not cared for correctly.
Old 01-17-13, 05:16 AM
toky916
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BULLIT
Is it possible to replace that plastic piece where its hazed around the clock or does the whole section need to be replaced? I noticed the clear section around the shifter also gets easily scratched if not cared for correctly.
Yes I realized that also wish I put some film on the clear plastic near shifter
Old 01-17-13, 08:36 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

To the OP...

Addressing both issues at your dealership, will result in both parts being replaced via Factory Warranty...

Since they are simple minor cosmetic issues, I don't think its really a big deal at all.

Originally Posted by toky916
Yes I realized that also wish I put some film on the clear plastic near shifter
^^ Almost invisible.. There is a usually a clear film on it from the factory... Sometimes you just have to PEEL it off...

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 01-17-13 at 08:41 AM.
Old 01-17-13, 08:32 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let your cleaning guys' insurance company pay for the damages.
Old 01-17-13, 11:45 PM
Defratos
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

Thanks for the clarification Joe Z, I'll see what happens once it goes in for service
Old 01-18-13, 12:02 AM
toky916
Pole Position

Some cosmetics happen I had my new isf washed at Lexus was in a rush and forgot to tell them no wash.
Picked it up and rushed to work and got out a nice Scratch on the rear bumper!
I never brought it up since I left the dealer ship with out showing them they would try saying it was there.