IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Brake Fluid Flush ISF

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-12, 08:24 AM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts
Default Brake Fluid Flush ISF

Would anyone know how much brake fluid is needed to flush our brake system?
I am hoping to get an information your personal experience, no estimates please.
Old 12-31-12, 09:10 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

RBF600 Motul brake fluid. u will need 2 bottle of 50ml to flush and clean and do the job right Dot 4
Old 12-31-12, 09:39 AM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

Thank you, blitz
Old 03-06-16, 05:06 PM
iamevan
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bumping this thread to make sure that two bottles of 500 ml brake fluid is enough to flush and refill the system. Can anyone confirm?
Old 03-06-16, 09:17 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

^^^^I bled my brakes last month. I used a bit over half a 1000ml bottle. You may want to think about Earl's Solo bleeders. They made the job much easier.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-for-is-f.html

Lou
Old 03-07-16, 07:11 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,848 Likes on 2,333 Posts

Originally Posted by iamevan
Bumping this thread to make sure that two bottles of 500 ml brake fluid is enough to flush and refill the system. Can anyone confirm?
More than enough even without Earl's bleeders.
Old 03-08-16, 04:38 PM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

2x 500ml bottles were enough for my brake job. My mechanic recommended three if I truly wanted a really thorough flush, but 2 was plenty in my case. You don't want to buy too much or else it goes to waste once the bottle is opened and left sitting (Unless you're going to track your car in the coming weeks and plan to bleed your brakes the fluid will start taking in water once opened).
Old 03-08-16, 05:21 PM
iamevan
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, guys. Do you think I could get by with just one 500 ml bottle? Seems like a waste of money to buy two if I'm going to use a little over one bottle -- using Motul 600. Maybe I should just flush until the entire 500 ml has traveled through the system. It might not be a thorough flush, but it should be good enough for a daily driver.

Not to mention, once the second bottle is open, I might as well throw it away since I won't be changing my brake fluid again for awhile.

Last edited by iamevan; 03-08-16 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-08-16, 05:47 PM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by iamevan
Thanks, guys. Do you think I could get by with just one 500 ml bottle? Seems like a waste of money to buy two if I'm going to use a little over one bottle -- using Motul 600. Maybe I should just flush until the entire 500 ml has traveled through the system. It might not be a thorough flush, but it should be good enough for a daily driver.

Not to mention, once the second bottle is open, I might as well throw it away since I won't be changing my brake fluid again for awhile.
Is your current fluid also Motul 600? If it is, when was the last change? Can you probably get away with using one bottle if you bleed the fluid and replace with some fresh fluid.

If it isn't Motul and a different brand, you'll probably need at least two bottles cause you want to make sure that the old fluid is completely gone and replaced with fresh new fluid. Probably not a good idea to mix two different fluid types.
Old 03-08-16, 05:53 PM
iamevan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kzlflash
Is your current fluid also Motul 600? If it is, when was the last change? Can you probably get away with using one bottle if you bleed the fluid and replace with some fresh fluid.

If it isn't Motul and a different brand, you'll probably need at least two bottles cause you want to make sure that the old fluid is completely gone and replaced with fresh new fluid. Probably not a good idea to mix two different fluid types.
Gotcha. I'll keep the two bottles for now and see how much I end up using.

The current fluid is not Motul 600; it's OEM. I'm assuming it was never changed -- the car just reached 30K miles recently.
Old 03-09-16, 10:36 AM
Tokenblkgy
Pole Position

Is motul the favored brake fluid for ISF's? I was going to swap mine out with Super ATE amber since I have like 5 cans of it in my garage. I have been using it for 20 years ( when it was blue) and love it..
Old 03-09-16, 10:48 AM
F Monster
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Tokenblkgy
Is motul the favored brake fluid for ISF's? I was going to swap mine out with Super ATE amber since I have like 5 cans of it in my garage. I have been using it for 20 years ( when it was blue) and love it..
I'e seen some people used Super ATE as well, but for the most part a lot of people use Motul which is overkill unless you track your car but it's like only a couple more bucks compared to regular brake fluid so why not? :P I also use Motul 600. Two bottles should be sufficient for a complete brake fluid flush.
Old 03-09-16, 10:52 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Tokenblkgy
That's a DOT 4 Brake Fluid so should work OK. Seems to be a budget fluid from the pricing I see. Personally I like a HiTemp Fluid and have Project Mu G-four in my F.

Lou
Old 03-09-16, 11:01 AM
Tokenblkgy
Pole Position

Lou
Its just been around for ever and works so I wouldn't call it " budget" Lol. Great price point for what you get!! I mean really who needs dot 4 in there DD if they aren't tracking it monthly?.
Old 03-09-16, 11:18 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^You took my comments wrong I didn't say cheap, I said budget, and it is budget priced. If you want to use it in your DD, there is no reason why you shouldn't. And, BTW the can is marked DOT 4. Sorry, if I offended you

Lou

Quick Reply: Brake Fluid Flush ISF