IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

B8 S4/S5 or ISF?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-12, 09:46 PM
daniel3ooo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B8 S4/S5 or ISF?

Been toying with the idea of trading the ISF to a 3.0t (v6 supercharged) audi s4. I really do enjoy the isf but the supercharged engine of the s4 is really intriguing. Did anyone compare the two when they were shopping? Just try to get an idea of what you all think. I've never driven an audi but they sure look nice and are quite mod friendly. Would love to get a 2013 s5 but that's prob out of my price range. Does a modded 3.0t hand with an isf, both in acceleration and handling?
Old 12-27-12, 10:01 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

I drove the new S4 6spd and drove an 08 IS-F when I was shopping.

The S4 is not an IS-F or M3 or AMG Competitor. The RS4/RS5 would be.

Yes, you can modify the S4 to make it as fast or faster than some of the IS-Fs or M3's, but then you throw reliability out the window. (its an Audi, it doesn't need your help with that.)

Also remember when looking at S4's make sure you get the package that has the limited slip differentials.
Old 12-27-12, 10:36 PM
Dv8tion388
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man you can't find your niche man. You just got back into an ISF!

Nothing Audi makes right now short of an R8 is worthwhile to a full Bolton F power wise.

~Dv8
Old 12-27-12, 11:58 PM
BULLIT
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I initially had a C63 and sold it for a RS5 which I kept for 4 months as I hated it as I just couldn't get comfortable in the seat. Just got an ISF and really like it. I think you will regret getting an Audi. If you want a change get a C63
Old 12-28-12, 12:57 AM
CCLSVTF
Driver

Cant comment on the RS5, but I have driven my buddy's RS4, and my other friends S5. Neither one compares to the ISF or my 08 M3. While the RS4 felt quick, it did not feel fast. My buddy's brand new S5 is nice but not for me. After having my M3, I hate the **** nav/radio/phone system. I really hate the one in the S5 cause there it is very confusing.... Dont get me wrong, the car is nice but does not hang with the ISF. My M3 and my current ISF blew my buddy away in his S5..... For some reason, the thing I love the most about the S5 is that when you hit the trunk release, the trunk opens all the way... LOL, dont know why but I like that....
Old 12-28-12, 03:20 AM
Boma
Lead Lap

I would have to agree with the others here, S4/5 are nice cars and are pretty quick off the line but stock vs stock the F would take them both down. Even without mods, with the S4 you have a supercharger that needs routine (expensive) maintenance, and if something in the engine bay gives out while out of warranty, be prepared to pay a hefty (expensive) bill. The S5 is heavier than the F by more than a hundred pounds, and is underpowered compared to other cars in the same price range. There's a reason why you don't see many comparisons between the S5 and the F...

With all things considered these cars are great in their own right but the F is definitely the better buy. For a different perspective, go on an Audi forum and ask the same exact thing!
Old 12-28-12, 03:42 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

I test drove a new B8 S4 before buying my ISF. The car is nice, but it is definitely no ISF. Acceleration was good and the car felt really solid and planted. Also, the nav display was very nice and the interior was well laid out. That said, the car was not as fast as the F, not as rare as the F, and didn't look as good as the F either. I also trust Lexus reliability way more. Yes you can "chip" the S4 and make it faster, but you also sacrifice the warranty and more reliability.

I have two good friends with S5s and I've driven both. That is a sexy looking car. With one friend, we switched keys and went for a spirited drive in each other's car. He commented afterwards that my car was without a doubt faster than his, and I couldn't catch up to him when he was driving my car. Still, if I didn't need 4 doors, I might consider an S5 even though it is slower. I like it way more than the S4.
Old 12-28-12, 04:34 AM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

Unless you are able to get the Rs5, don't even think about it.
Old 12-28-12, 07:31 AM
Wakemaker8
Driver

Originally Posted by Rossi
Unless you are able to get the Rs5, don't even think about it.
Even the RS5 didn't feel to have the low end pull of the IS-F. I drove one at the dealership the other day and while quick the interior was not as nice as the Lexus and the Audi paddles suck, might as well have put buttons instead of paddles.
Old 12-28-12, 07:47 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A buddy of mine test drove the new RS5 and said the throttle response was rather slow. Although at higher RPM's the car is a beast. Unless you want a used RS4, I wouldn't trade in the F.

OP you should ask this in the Audi forums (whatever they're called), and see what they would say.
Old 12-28-12, 07:59 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ they would be biased as many on here would be. Today's Audi isn't what it was in the past. Leased an S4 back in 06 and drove the **** out of it and never had any issues. Those I know with newer Audi's are not having issues.

Best thing is to go drive one. Sounds like from another post the ISF isn't doing it for you. Maybe a car with a manual trans?? Either way good luck in your search.
Old 12-28-12, 08:34 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Yeah every car forum is biased towards their own car. It all depends on what you want. If you want more performance, then you're not going to get it by switching to an S4/S5. If you want more modability (is that word) then yeah, the S4 is what you want. If you want maybe one of the sexiest cars on the road today (in my opinion) you might consider the S5.

Like so many others on this forum, I shopped around and test drove some of the IS-F's competitors and near-competitors in order to make my decision. The IS-F is simply the best all around car in the class when you factor in power, luxury, reliability, rarity, versatility, gas mileage, cost of maintenance and looks. That's why I went with it. I knew I could be faster for the same or less money, or that I could find another car that was more friendly to tune... but when you have a car that can pull hard from zero all the way up to 160mph+, how much more power do you really want?
Old 12-28-12, 08:35 AM
daniel3ooo
Pole Position

Thanks for all the replies. As dv8 mentioned I just bought this ISF a few months ago. I put a borla exhaust and bc coils and the car handles well and sounds great. I thought about it and don't think I would be happy trading the F for an s4. I really love the way the older body s5 looks but wish it had the s/c'ed motor. I'm surprised to hear the s5 weighs more than the F. I will stick with the F and maybe look at some headers to freshen things up!
Old 12-28-12, 08:40 AM
Diego@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ISF all the way. I personally think you should keep it.
Old 12-28-12, 09:02 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the Audi's look awesome. My neighbor just got a brand new black A5 and it's a beautiful car. I just can't get past the lack of power in them. I'll definitely be looking real hard at an R8 (V10) down the road though if I don't pull the trigger on another GT-R.

Quick Reply: B8 S4/S5 or ISF?