Search this Thread

Old 12-02-12, 04:47 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Back again.... Questions about ML sound/volume quality

My last post was here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...next-time.html

Just purchased a 2011 ISF with under 8k miles. About 2 months after trading in the 2008. So I am back.....

Anyway, I know I am not imagining it, but the 2011 ML is extremely "weak." In the 2008 with ML, the volume hardly needed to be cranked to 25. In the 2011, 25 is adequate, but not even close to the "volume and quality" of the 2008, especially the bass. Even with the bass equalizer set to the max in the 2011, you can still barely hear/feel it. How does one tell if the bass or other speakers are blown? I turned up the volume to 40 and did not hear any rattling like that of a blown speaker. Sound quality was clear, just not as loud and with hardly any bass.

Thanks for anyones input
Old 12-02-12, 04:51 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

use the sound settings where you can turn it up to the LF, LR, , RF, RR to try and distinguish which speaker is blown, this worked well when i worked on a friends M6.
Old 12-02-12, 05:06 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by itsmike177
My last post was here:

Just purchased a 2011 ISF with under 8k miles. About 2 months after trading in the 2008. So I am back.....

Anyway, I know I am not imagining it, but the 2011 ML is extremely "weak." In the 2008 with ML, the volume hardly needed to be cranked to 25. In the 2011, 25 is adequate, but not even close to the "volume and quality" of the 2008, especially the bass. Even with the bass equalizer set to the max in the 2011, you can still barely hear/feel it. How does one tell if the bass or other speakers are blown? I turned up the volume to 40 and did not hear any rattling like that of a blown speaker. Sound quality was clear, just not as loud and with hardly any bass.

Thanks for anyones input
My ML in the 2012 cranks. You have a system problem, and it may not be a speaker--sounds like the amp is shot.. It''s under warranty.
Old 12-02-12, 05:41 PM
LegendGT1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my 20I0 have the bass turned up all the way and the volume at 25 seems very low when I am driving, when stopped I agree its adequate.

I usually have the volume at 30 or more and this will have enough power to vibrate my rear view mirror slightly, at 40 it becomes loud but still clear, however you wont feel the bass like you would with an aftermarket sub and enclosure.
Old 12-02-12, 10:30 PM
supafreeza
Pole Position

My last post was here:

Thanks for anyones input
I bought my 2011 new and it exhibits the same scenario you laid out. I typically have my volume around 25-30 and bump it up to 40-45 with the windows rolled down. My bass level is set to one bar from the highest. Hope that gives you a little more info.
Old 12-03-12, 08:36 AM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you guys have the ASL turned on...?
Old 12-03-12, 10:07 AM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

i also had concerns/questions regarding this right after i got my 09'. my wife's previous 08 IS250 sound system was way louder than my ML. also, we'd put her bass up one notch past middle and it hit way harder and louder than mine cranked all the way. i brought my ride to one dealer and they couldn't find anything wrong w/ the stereo. amp working fine. i also heard no rattles or any signs of a blown sub or speakers. after i got my exhaust, i just learned to live w/ the 'weak' stereo.
Old 12-03-12, 02:31 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

I doubt your system is broken. Do what the other guy suggested, and use the fader to make sure all of your speakers are actually on. If one is blown, you'll either get no sound, or a nasty static-y buzzing sound and you'll know for sure something is wrong. A problem with your amp might be harder to diagnose, but if you're not getting any power through a certain channel, you should hear a weak set of speakers by isolating each set with the fader.

Chances are high you're just experiencing the fact that the ML system in this car is about the worst "premium" sound system on any car I've ever heard. It's clear... but it is WAY underpowered, especially on the bottom end. If I really want to crank it, I have to turn it up to 40+ when I have the windows down. I am seriously considering adding a separate amp and aftermarket sub... I just want something that looks stealthy so I might have to go custom.
Old 12-03-12, 02:38 PM
andysvette
Driver

Default Fm vs xm

My last post was here:

Thanks for anyones input
I have the same issue… I went from a 08 to 2011 with 4200 mile on the clock. On the drive home I noticed right away the difference going for FM to XM. On my 08 I hardly ever went past 40 now some days I have it maxed out, and it still is not as loud as my 08 was.
Old 12-03-12, 02:42 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks for everyone's input. I've concluded this is how it is for the 2011 ML system.

Went through the fader and all speakers have sound with no crackling/static, so none are blown. Somewhat of a letdown, but it is what it is....
Old 12-03-12, 09:22 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

what made music much more enjoyable is turning down the mids, leave the treble high and the bass a bit less than half mark.
Old 12-07-12, 01:45 AM
jadeboy
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF001
My ML in the 2012 cranks. You have a system problem, and it may not be a speaker--sounds like the amp is shot.. It''s under warranty.
I have 2012 ML, the sound is weak also. Could Lexus purposely lower the power because the subwoofer keeps blowing.
Old 12-07-12, 08:39 AM
Kingkrs
Pole Position

I too went from 08 to 2011. I bought mine new and it was one of the first things I noticed. My 08 stereo cranked pretty good compared to the 2011. I was beginning to think that the previous owner (of the 08) had aftermarket front speakers put in cause it sounded much better and more thump than my 11.

I also noticed that the ASL feature does not work too well on my 11. It worked fantastic on the 08 and would actually lower the volume when I would be at the stoplight or increase while I was on the highway. My 11 does not seem to do any of that. Yes I made sure that the feature is turned on. I have come to the realization that my ML is fine for listening to talk radio or for maybe having on some light background music on and nothing more. On those days like a Friday when the sun is shining, just got paid with a tank full of gas and I want the windows down and music up it is disappointing. ML is only (to me) decent when the windows are up keeping the sound in.
Old 12-08-12, 01:47 AM
toky916
Pole Position

Try a higher quality audio source I use spotify on my 2012 and it really good compared to my droid I was using hated it . Now apple w/ spotify at 320kbps and love it ...
Old 12-08-12, 05:19 AM
darkoozy
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Lousy bass response

I also believe the ML system in my 2012 ISF is junk.

I came from a 2009 IS350 which had a pretty nice stock non ML system with awesome sound and bass response.

I was so disappointed with the ML in the ISF, I started blasting emails to my Sewell dealer letting them know the sound was lousy. I am going to keep nagging on them until they somehow take the cost of replacing the subwoofer with something that actually sounds good.

I honesty cant believe the quality of the audio coming from this system, and have to turn up music to 40-ish just to get it perform somewhat better.

Do you guys know of an aftermarket sub that would be a drop in replacement? I am not looking to drop a box in the trunk, as I prefer to keep the car stock (as close as possible)

Quick Reply: Back again.... Questions about ML sound/volume quality