IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Borla Axle-back Exhaust - feedback thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-12, 11:35 AM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

BTW - The ISS forged system uses Magnaflow mufflers, so I assume this will remain on their new project.. Its also probably not a big deal for them to consider a no tip option which enables you to maintain the OE ovals.

Digger08
Old 11-28-12, 10:06 AM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by digger08
BTW - The ISS forged system uses Magnaflow mufflers, so I assume this will remain on their new project.. Its also probably not a big deal for them to consider a no tip option which enables you to maintain the OE ovals.

Digger08
Hey,, thank you for that. I love maganflow. I like the suggestion. I afraid it will require some extra engineering to line up with the stock tips. But you never know.
Old 02-23-13, 01:37 PM
Rossi
Racer

Getting ready to pull the trigger to get the Borla axle back.

BORLA Axle back feedback only, please.

Any more feedback from current owners? Anyone with "Wife approved Certificate" ? Lol
Old 02-23-13, 05:14 PM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a Borla cat back from a guy in California that he had on his car before returning it to stock for trade in. I assume he had to have car inspected but maybe not. Maybe he had connection for getting it smogged. U will prob be disappointed with the Borla axle back, I am sure u have checked out the YouTube videos of the axle back, might as well stick with stock and save ur money
Old 02-23-13, 05:46 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From the videos on FB, even w/ the borla axle back on, the car still sounds stock. No point in paying $700 for a pointless mod like that.

Last edited by VtotheJ; 02-23-13 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-23-13, 10:14 PM
Rossi
Racer

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
No point in paying $700 for a pointless mod like that.
I would like to give the car a little bit of V8 character.
Old 02-23-13, 11:05 PM
BULLIT
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rossi
Getting ready to pull the trigger to get the Borla axle back.

BORLA Axle back feedback only, please.

Any more feedback from current owners? Anyone with "Wife approved Certificate" ? Lol
I have my Borla axke back for sale at moment, unfortunately I'm on order side of the world from you:-)
It Definately has a deeper sound at start up and idle but not that much louder than stock when accelerating.. As far as drone goes I've come to the conclusion all aftermarket exhausts for ISF have some sort of drone around 2000rpm.
Old 02-24-13, 12:04 PM
tgui
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rossi
I would like to give the car a little bit of V8 character.
Exactly this. I have no intention of removing the secondary cats. When the time comes I'll slap on some headers and still pass emissions.
Old 02-24-13, 12:34 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Rossi why don't you do the secondary cat/muffler delete? I can tell you that really wakes up the V8 and you'll save some coin. If you don't want to tamper with the stock exhaust that's a diff story. You can get the stock parts welded back on if needed. Just giving you another option. Although since you are in CA their emissions are strict. Unless you know somebody that can pass you. I know that in NY they don't do visual checks, and the removal of the aforementioned parts do not throw a CEL since it doesn't touch the o2 sensors.

Also, if you plan to go with headers in the future you can get random tech cats, that way you will still have cats and will pass inspection.
Old 02-24-13, 02:52 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

I don't have one, but IMHO, any axle back that gets rid of the factory crush at the "Y" is an improvement in exhaust flow.

Lou
Old 02-24-13, 07:32 PM
Rossi
Racer

Yes Lou,
That is correct.
Better flow, lighter unit than stock, somewhat deeper sound.
These are some of the reasons I would like to get it.
Old 02-25-13, 10:19 AM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

My first mod on the ISF was the Borla axle-back. I simply can't recommend it.

It sounds great at startup, and from the outside it's really nice. But inside the car it just doesn't have that great of a sound. So what's the point if it doesn't sound good to the driver? Don't let the youtube videos fool you. It does sound good from outside the car, just not inside it (which is more difficult to video).

It essentially just adds volume to the stock sound. But it also adds some boomy-ness to the cabin, definitely more-so than any other ISF exhaust I've heard (save but the loud-as-hell ISS QES).

Overall my wife didn't mind the Borla though, so it did pass the wife test. But she's had to put up with some crazy Evo's over the years so cruising in the Lexus is a huge step up and likely a bigger approval factor than the exhaust.

The Borla cat-back on the other hand sounds way better and is barely more expensive ($1k vs $700). If you're considering headers in the future, I would suggest doing just a cat-back now. Best bang-for-buck plus it sounds way better than an axle-back.
Old 02-25-13, 12:33 PM
KOKISF
Lead Lap

can anyone tell me the dimension going in to the crushed y pipe and the diameter of the two exhaust tubes???

no one has performance gains on just the borla axle back?
Old 02-25-13, 01:40 PM
SVTRondogg
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mrd916
I bought a Borla cat back from a guy in California that he had on his car before returning it to stock for trade in. I assume he had to have car inspected but maybe not. Maybe he had connection for getting it smogged. U will prob be disappointed with the Borla axle back, I am sure u have checked out the YouTube videos of the axle back, might as well stick with stock and save ur money
The Borla kit should pass CA emissions no problem.
Old 02-25-13, 03:02 PM
Rossi
Racer

Originally Posted by SVTRondogg
The Borla kit should pass CA emissions no problem.
Are you indicating that the Borla cat-back will pass emissions or axle back.

Quick Reply: Borla Axle-back Exhaust - feedback thread