Need help with headlight conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-12, 01:53 PM
Mortis101
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need help with headlight conversion

Hi Guys-

I purchased a 2008 ISF last month and am new to the forum. So far I have loved it. I was reading about doing a 2012 headlight conversion on the site and thought it would be cool, but way too expensive. As luck would have it I found someone locally selling two stripped headlights for $200! They needed a lot of parts, but $150 later I had two working headlights.

I ordered all of the parts from Sewell and attempted the install last week. After reading through hundreds of posts I saw that there is basically two ways of hooking them up. I'd prefer for them to be at 100% brightness all of the time so I tried hooking them up to the IGN2 fuse like I saw in a few other threads on this forum.

Here's my problem- When I connected the headlights to the IGN2 fuse using a Bussmann Add-A-Curcuit Fuse Tap the driver side instantly came on and stayed on without turning the car on and the passenger side flashed very quickly for a second then doesn't come on at all.

Any ideas why this is happening? I have checked that I have the correct fuse at least 10 times. Also, wiring the lights to come on with the parking lights does work correctly.
Old 11-19-12, 01:57 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

U r in luck sign up for the list at vendor , Sewell will on sale for black friday as 1200$ 2012 Headlight LED

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...7lex12-10.html

Last edited by ISF4life; 11-19-12 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-19-12, 02:29 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

you have to ground the white wire. it doesn't work correctly as that guide said.
Old 11-19-12, 04:05 PM
Mortis101
Rookie

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
you have to ground the white wire. it doesn't work correctly as that guide said.
Wow, thanks for the info. After reading all 38 pages of the original thread at least 3 times I didn't know up from down.

Do I have to cut the white wire to ground it or can I just do a T-Tap and ground that to the car?
Old 11-19-12, 04:16 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

i cut the white wire and grounded it.
Old 11-19-12, 04:20 PM
kwik801
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had the same problem and ISFPOWER helped me out.. Make sure you are getting the IGN2 from the driverside fuse box and not the passenger side. Then cut and ground the white wire from both lights.. Sounds like your instant power is coming on because you are using the passenger side IGN2. Am I correct??
Old 11-19-12, 05:27 PM
Mortis101
Rookie

Originally Posted by kwik801
I had the same problem and ISFPOWER helped me out.. Make sure you are getting the IGN2 from the driverside fuse box and not the passenger side. Then cut and ground the white wire from both lights.. Sounds like your instant power is coming on because you are using the passenger side IGN2. Am I correct??
Yes, I was tapping into the passenger side IGN2. I didn't know there was a driver side as well. I really appreciate the help guys!

Just to make 100% sure, the ground wire is all white, it's not the white wire with the black stripe, right?
Old 11-20-12, 01:13 AM
kwik801
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So on the LED board where you connect the plug there should be 3 wires.. white, green and black.. I went ahead and grounded the all white wire on both lights to a ground.. then I took the green wire (100%) from both light and ran it into the driver side fuse box IGN2. I didn't splice into any of those wires.. I just cut them and ran it. Let me know if that helps.. or you can PM and I'll give you my number since you are in UT maybe I can help you out in person since I'm from SLC.
Old 11-21-12, 01:04 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I'm a bit behind here, but I noticed my 2011 led strips get dim when the low beams are on and are a nice white color when on alone. Is that what you guys are talking about modifying? Keeping the led strips white always? Can this only be done with a swap or is this something I can do to my stock 2011 lights? I just did the foglight mod to make my fogs come one without the headlights being on. Looks good running them with the led lights, but when I turn on all my lights, the led's seem yellow.

Subscribed!
Old 11-21-12, 05:36 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Ok, after doing A LOT of reading, I understand that you guys are running at 100% brightness all the time. My question is, can I do the same thing and run both green wires to the ig2 fuse and ground both white wires on my stock 2011 headlights? Don't want to start cutting and then it not work. I actually have the bubbling issue, sooo maybe I should get new lights before cutting wires. Just want some confirmation that this'll work, but I don't see why it wouldn't.
Old 11-21-12, 07:15 PM
Mortis101
Rookie

I'm sure you could, but I don't know if your wires are much different than on my 08.

I found out that you can either cut into the wires right next to the LED board and wire the green wire to the IG2 fuse and wire the white wire to a ground. If you wanted to wire from the harness it's still the green wire to the IG2, but the red wire is the ground instead of the white.
Old 11-21-12, 07:22 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Had my headlights out this weekend doing my fog light conversion and I remember the black, green, and white wires going to the circuit board. Can't quite recall the main harness though. I should have taken pics! Maybe give me something to do Friday, but I just went and relooked at my bubbles and they are getting really bad. So I might just wait and get new lights under warranty. Glad you posted over hear as that other thread was long and confusing. It seems like people did a lot of different things. I just want 100% brightness all the time so the LEDs match everything instead of getting yellow.
Old 11-21-12, 09:26 PM
Mortis101
Rookie

Originally Posted by PhiDeltBee
Had my headlights out this weekend doing my fog light conversion and I remember the black, green, and white wires going to the circuit board. Can't quite recall the main harness though. I should have taken pics! Maybe give me something to do Friday, but I just went and relooked at my bubbles and they are getting really bad. So I might just wait and get new lights under warranty. Glad you posted over hear as that other thread was long and confusing. It seems like people did a lot of different things. I just want 100% brightness all the time so the LEDs match everything instead of getting yellow.
You are correct, black = 50% bright, green= 100% bright and white=ground. Wire the green to your IG2 fuse on the DRIVERS side and ground the white wire and they will be 100% bright whenever you turn your car on and you can keep the stalk on auto.

I'm planning to take a few pics and start a new thread showing how easy it can be. That other thread is crazy and some of the information is misleading.
Old 11-22-12, 05:27 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mortis101
You are correct, black = 50% bright, green= 100% bright and white=ground. Wire the green to your IG2 fuse on the DRIVERS side and ground the white wire and they will be 100% bright whenever you turn your car on and you can keep the stalk on auto.

I'm planning to take a few pics and start a new thread showing how easy it can be. That other thread is crazy and some of the information is misleading.
Thanks Mortis! No better way of joining this forum than coming at us quick with a DIY'er! Welcome to Club Lexus. Sit back and stay awhile!