IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Battery suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-12, 01:11 PM
lx470man
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Battery suggestions

I have a 08' and although my car starts very strong still with no hesitation, seeing that it is going on 4 years I would like to change it out for the peace of mind. But I have no clue which one I should buy, I am looking a direct replacement, don't need a lighter battery, etc...

I was looking and what are peoples thought on Die Hard platinum? Its very expensive and is it worth it over the gold?

Also how about optima, I thought these were top notch, but I also heard some mixed reviews on them also, so I am not totally sure.

For those 2008 owners what battery did you replace it with? And how do you like it.

Thanks
Old 10-23-12, 08:47 PM
lx470man
Lead Lap

No recommendations? How about an odyssey battery? I looked on their website but it does not have the option of choosing a vehicle type to narrow down the model I need for the F. Does anyone know which one is a direct replacement?
Old 10-23-12, 08:51 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Diehard/kirkland/Everstart is made by the same company.. so Sears/Costco/Walmart have similar batteries.. I would go with the one with the best warranty, I want with Costco Kirkland batteries because it has a 3 year warranty I believe. If you have a sound system then you might want to opt with a better battery but for general use, my Kirkland battery has never failed me.
Old 10-23-12, 08:56 PM
Nate008
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced my 08 with Duralast gold a month ago because the stocker finally died. It was like $110 or so from autozone. Cranks alot faster and with ease, no complaints so far. If I had a full audio setup like I did in my STI I would have gone with Optima.
Old 10-23-12, 09:06 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

I've run Optima in my Supra for the last 12 years. Great battery if your car doesn't sit for long periods. The last one sulfated and I got a new one from Autozone free after 30 months of ownership. But this is because I might not drive the car for a month at a time and I'm not diligent about keeping a charger on it.

I put a Duralast Platinum in the wife's tC last year. It uses glass mat technology like the Optima, but doesn't have the fancy spiral cells. I might get something like it, or I might get something lighter for the F. I bought it in December of '08, and I noticed it's starting slower since the weather started getting cooler. That's about the only thing I miss with the F - no way to bump start it like an old school manual.
Old 10-23-12, 09:38 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had an Optima Yellow Top in my car for the past 2 years, and I've had Yellow Tops in every car I've owned previously (3 cars), I've never had any issues, and they do last longer. Stock battery, while drying my car after washing, would last maybe 30 mins with the music on, I can easily go an hour with the Yellow Top
Old 10-23-12, 11:10 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

+1 to what Just F Me said.

ive also had yellow top in the last three cars i've owned. crazy part, on my Z, ive had that car for about 7 years now, same battery and it sits for 1 month, 3, 6 , and 9 months at time before without even being started. it has always started, even in cold winters. pretty good if you ask me. im goin to go with the same deep cycle optima yellow top in the F as well.
Old 10-24-12, 06:28 AM
JKweezy
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I got a duralast gold too from autozone.

Whatever you do, do NOT get the brand that o'reilley's offers. They have a battery listed for the F but it's not compatible (or at least not in my case) with our tie down because it has added height on top of the battery. They were stumped as somehow they had me trying 3 different batteries of their house brand and i finally gave up and went to autozone across the street and it fit nicely.
Old 10-24-12, 09:46 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,291 Posts

There are lots of thrreads on batteries on this forum, but nobody ever talks about size. I see some battery maker recommendations are for size 24 and others for 35. I've done measurements, and it appears the group 24 is the proper replacement size. My '08 and my wife's '08 ES are nearing the time for a change after enduring four hot Arizona summers. Our Batteries are the same size, but the poles are reversed. I plan to buy a group 24 and a group 24F. Does any one have any comments on the proper Group number?

Lou
Old 10-24-12, 11:35 AM
lx470man
Lead Lap

I was looking at the autozone battery, and it has 2 choices whats the difference?
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...-8gcxbZ1z13xyg

One is listed for $110 and the other $120. But the more expensive battery has lower cold cranking amps? Is it not suppose to be the other way around?
Old 10-24-12, 12:30 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Originally Posted by lx470man
I was looking at the autozone battery, and it has 2 choices whats the difference?
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...-8gcxbZ1z13xyg

One is listed for $110 and the other $120. But the more expensive battery has lower cold cranking amps? Is it not suppose to be the other way around?
The difference is one is a size Group 25 and the other a Group 24. And, again, no one who has replaced batteries on these forums has discussed the size. They just discuss the retailer or battery brand.

Lou
Old 10-24-12, 12:37 PM
Nate008
Pole Position

I got the Group 24 size. The one that cost $110. I mainly got it because for some reason this one has higher cold cranking amps and it's cheaper lol.
Old 10-24-12, 03:32 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
There are lots of thrreads on batteries on this forum, but nobody ever talks about size. I see some battery maker recommendations are for size 24 and others for 35. I've done measurements, and it appears the group 24 is the proper replacement size. My '08 and my wife's '08 ES are nearing the time for a change after enduring four hot Arizona summers. Our Batteries are the same size, but the poles are reversed. I plan to buy a group 24 and a group 24F. Does any one have any comments on the proper Group number?

Lou
Lou,

The proper size for OEM Replacement is Group 24 , which ensures proper Terminal Placements for the Lexus IS / IS-F
(as you found)

Interstate Example:

Mine recently died in September (unexpectedly).. 64k miles

I went with Optima Red Top Size 25 (they don't offer a 24)

Battery Talk:

Dead OEM Panasonic = 41 lbs
Optima Red Top #25 = 34 lbs
Odyssey PC680 = 14.5 lbs

I planned on making a whole thread about this, but never did it....

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 10-24-12 at 03:35 PM.
Old 10-24-12, 03:41 PM
FD3SISF
Lead Lap

I would go with optima red or yellow top. I had the yellow top on both my Type R and RX7. Never hade any problems with it. I havent have a chance to change the battery on my F.
Old 10-24-12, 06:14 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

I had an Odyssey PC680 battery (primarily sold for snowmobiles) in my first Evo. It worked just fine, never any issues. My starter died within 3 years (and before the battery did). No evidence it was related but who knows.

With all of the tech in the ISF I'm planning on going DieHard. There's just too much stuff that uses juice compared to other cars I've owned. I've never had a DieHard fail on me, ever. In probably 20 years and 7-8 cars. It's not like shaving 10-20lbs will be that noticeable with such a heavy car. At least for daily drivers.

With my Evo I had other stuff lightened so the battery was just another avenue for that concept. In the ISF I wouldn't risk it. I was always nervous about starting my car up on Monday morning if I hadn't driven over the weekend. Even worse when I had to leave it parked at an airport.

Quick Reply: Battery suggestions