IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Stance Wheels SCFive input

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-12, 01:06 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both sets look almost the same. Ask yourself this question... are these wheels of similar or better quality than your OEM BBSs? If not, then is it really an upgrade, or are you actually paying to downgrade? IMO, if you are buying something aftermarket, then it should be better than the originals, right? I honestly don't think either of those wheels come close to the OEMs when it comes to quality. Just my 2 cents.

btw - Speaking of Volks, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe CE28s are the lightest 1-pc wheel they have. They are about 19lb for 19". JDM ftw.
Old 07-21-12, 03:31 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't think CE28s would look good on an IS F though...too bad. Just my opinion though. I want a set of Volk GT-S again... but i dunno...................
Old 07-21-12, 07:57 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
I'm not even gonna debate it. I like my 28 lb wheels. I have banged the heck out of them and no bends or nicks. Those super light wheels I tried all look like crap after a while.
I understand that no one wants 40 lb wheels but anything 30 and under.....I doubt anyone could tell a difference in a few lbs. Its just the power of suggestion.
Exactly, you will never notice it. If someone wants to make their car how they like, they can buy whatever wheels look good to them. Not everyone wants to spend $3500-$4000 on forged Volks plus tires. And you aren't seeing a pic of the wheel on the scale mounted and balanced with tires. Your just seeing a naked wheel. Tires are gonna make that set up close to 40lbs if not more. The ISF has plenty of power to push whatever wheel you want.
Old 07-22-12, 09:33 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CalitriSC
Exactly, you will never notice it. If someone wants to make their car how they like, they can buy whatever wheels look good to them. Not everyone wants to spend $3500-$4000 on forged Volks plus tires. And you aren't seeing a pic of the wheel on the scale mounted and balanced with tires. Your just seeing a naked wheel. Tires are gonna make that set up close to 40lbs if not more. The ISF has plenty of power to push whatever wheel you want.
Oh, I'm with you.
I'm sick of people trying to sound like they know what they are talking about babbling about weight of wheels. I'm older than most around here so I know it's just the flavor of the month but wheel dealers are playing on that lack of knowdledge and trying to charge more for the privelege of buying the lightest possible wheels.
Then, to disrespect the game completely, they turn around and buy the cheapest tires they can find. And no one says a thing. Just sickening.

The Stance wheel is a nice looking wheel. Anyone who likes it should buy it without concern for a bunch of internet parrots repeating some crap about wheel weight or quality just because its a cast wheel.
Old 07-22-12, 12:16 PM
Silver10
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most people here are just driving the car back and forth to work anyways.
I am doing exactly that with 20's and a 250 and could care less what the kid in the car next to me has to say. I like it and thats all that matters,When someone wants to buy me $4k wheels and make my payment then i will shut up.....!!! BTW i get exceptional cty/hwy mileage with my heavy wheels.
Old 07-22-12, 03:55 PM
DonTN
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand what you are saying about mostly daily driving around town, but I feel that I purchased a high end performance car that I want to keep it at the same performance or better. With a 1:6 or 1:7 unsprung weight ratio, it really adds up.

I guess at the end of the day, you have to ask your self performance or cosmetic.
Old 07-22-12, 09:10 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Originally Posted by DonTN
...I guess at the end of the day, you have to ask your self performance or cosmetic.
Exactly. For all the "it doesn't matter in day to day driving" proponents, why not drive a Civic if it doesn't matter? Better gas mileage, more socially responsible, and definitely less environmental impact over all, so really why not?

If you bought the car to slam it and add stance, sure, put whatever you like on it and your visual performance will be off the scale. If you bought the car because you can take it to a track weekend and not be completely embarrassed by Corvettes, then choose your wheels appropriately.

No difference? Really? Please...
Old 07-22-12, 09:22 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Exactly. For all the "it doesn't matter in day to day driving" proponents, why not drive a Civic if it doesn't matter? Better gas mileage, more socially responsible, and definitely less environmental impact over all, so really why not?

If you bought the car to slam it and add stance, sure, put whatever you like on it and your visual performance will be off the scale. If you bought the car because you can take it to a track weekend and not be completely embarrassed by Corvettes, then choose your wheels appropriately.

No difference? Really? Please...
Wow comparing to a Civic really? I could agree with the above post if we were talking about a Z06 or an R35 GTR which basically have one purpose. Which is to be fast and track the car. The IS-F is not a track car. Yes it has great performance and power. But its also a 4 door luxury car, its also used as a family car and many here also use it as a daily driver ect ect ect. I doubt people who are worried about getting the best possible gas milage are going to buy an IS-F in the first place. My milage has not been affected at all by either set of aftermarket wheels that I have already had. And most people keep their stock wheels in the garage. So it would take 10 minutes to put them back on to go have a track day on the weekend. Most people who go to track days ect are not driving on the street with the same tires they use at the track. That would be a waste of money with a soft tire compound. Its funny how people start being negative when someone likes a certain wheel and is thinking about buying a set. I guess everyone should just keep their car bone stock and all look exactly the same.
Old 07-22-12, 09:45 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

The IS-F is not a track car.
Yeah...ok.

The IS F was developed at the Fuji Motorsport Speedway...but it's not a track car?

It's a usable high performance car. You can use it on the track, you can use it to haul the groceries and your dirty ugly kids.

For the most part, majority of people on Club Lexus aren't taking their cars to the track.

I bet you that we don't have 50% of the people that own IS Fs that have ever taken the IS F to the track or to an autocross event. Running through the canyons don't count.

Many people are right...getting rid of unsprung weight will increase the performance of the car. However, I HIGHLY doubt most people here on Club Lexus have the driving skills to feel or even know the difference between having a set of lightweight wheels. I'm saying that I would know the difference between a 20lb wheel and a 24lb wheel on the IS F either...But i'm not sure because I've never tried.

In the end, it's your car, get what you want. If everyone has the same wheel, and you're ok with the same look, then so be it. If you don't wanna get flamed, don't post pics of it online. Doesn't matter if you put 22s on your IS F...it's your car. Live with your decisions.
Old 07-22-12, 09:50 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Wow comparing to a Civic really? I could agree with the above post if we were talking about a Z06 or an R35 GTR which basically have one purpose. Which is to be fast and track the car. The IS-F is not a track car. Yes it has great performance and power. But its also a 4 door luxury car, its also used as a family car and many here also use it as a daily driver ect ect ect. I doubt people who are worried about getting the best possible gas milage are going to buy an IS-F in the first place. My milage has not been affected at all by either set of aftermarket wheels that I have already had. And most people keep their stock wheels in the garage. So it would take 10 minutes to put them back on to go have a track day on the weekend. Most people who go to track days ect are not driving on the street with the same tires they use at the track. That would be a waste of money with a soft tire compound. Its funny how people start being negative when someone likes a certain wheel and is thinking about buying a set. I guess everyone should just keep their car bone stock and all look exactly the same.
Yeah, really comparing to a Civic. You won't notice the difference? Really? How about yes, I will definitely notice the difference in compliance and acceleration in low gears. Gas mileage? Are you serious? Of course you won't see a difference in gas mileage, and who cares anyway?

If you can't tell the difference, then why not get the Civic and be environmentally responsible since you honestly can't tell the difference between visual performance and mechanical performance?
Old 07-22-12, 11:37 PM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Bring on the popcorn, this thread is about to get interesting! F Yeah!

And to add more fuel to the fire, wheel weight does make a difference in performance ^ please reference above post about unsprung weight...

BTW whats with all this talk about a civic... ? I drive a bone stock civic to save me some gas and not to rack up the miles on the IS-F... Good comparison though IMO

Back to the topic of the thread, I havent seen Stance Wheels so popular on the Lexus community, but its becoming a hit on the Inifiniti G community. GL with your wheel choice, your ride is a representation of yourself, looks, style, performance... its all you bro! I say get them, who knows, you just may start a trend
Old 07-23-12, 12:04 AM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Yeah, really comparing to a Civic. You won't notice the difference? Really? How about yes, I will definitely notice the difference in compliance and acceleration in low gears. Gas mileage? Are you serious? Of course you won't see a difference in gas mileage, and who cares anyway?

If you can't tell the difference, then why not get the Civic and be environmentally responsible since you honestly can't tell the difference between visual performance and mechanical performance?
LOL! You are the one who brought up gas mileage and a Civic. Funny thats the first car that you can think of when we are talking about wheels for an IS-F. If you are offering to buy me one then go for it. I could sell it and use the money for other projects. And honestly you have no clue what you are talking about.
Old 07-23-12, 12:21 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

And honestly you have no clue what you are talking about.
Old 07-23-12, 12:29 AM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Just F Me
Yeah...ok.

The IS F was developed at the Fuji Motorsport Speedway...but it's not a track car?

It's a usable high performance car. You can use it on the track, you can use it to haul the groceries and your dirty ugly kids.

For the most part, majority of people on Club Lexus aren't taking their cars to the track.
Yes I know where it was designed and the history behind it. My point was its not sold from the dealership with the purpose of being a track car. That's like the people that say STi's are rally cars lol. It's a "rally inspired" car. It would fall apart if you actually took it on a rally course. And I agree with you on everything else. The F is a great performance and all around car.
Old 07-23-12, 01:16 AM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a tangible performance difference between a heavy wheel and a light wheel, even in daily driving. It does not take a race car driver or a track day to sense it. Just like you don't need to drag your car at the strip to feel the 5.0 V8 on tap.

With that said, whether one goes with a light wheel obviously depends on their needs. If you are willing to sacrifice some performance for a better looking and heavier 3-pc cast wheel, then by all means go for it. My point is that for any car, when you spend additional money for aftermarket parts, you may want to consider parts that are complementary and proportional to the quality of your vehicle, and also consider the quality of the part you are acquiring relative to the one you are replacing.

I understand that people want to look different, but there is an "upgrade" different, and a "downgrade" different. Style is subjective, and there are some cheap wheels that look 100x better than the stockies. However, quality is mostly objective, and can anyone really argue that the wheels that the OP considered are at the same level as Volk or BBS?

So the question is, is it worth it just to look different if it means you are upgrading in style, but downgrading in overall quality? A lot of people are ok with it, but I just wanted to pose this for the OP as something to consider.

Quick Reply: Stance Wheels SCFive input