IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS F Back to Back Comparison with GS350 F Sport: Test Drive at Stevens Creek Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-12, 11:40 AM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Lexus should release the GS250 in North America as well. BMW sells a lot of 5ers, but the bulk of them are 528i's. Audi will be releasing the A6 2.0T soon, and Merc already has a E300 below the E350. If Lexus wants to really compete in this segment they should offer more engine choices, both above and below the GS350.
Old 06-23-12, 01:47 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanGTS
So are you actually going to buy the ISF?
Yes! I'm planning on buying an IS F. Probably a '12 NGP.

Last edited by NewSpace; 06-23-12 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-23-12, 01:55 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Smile

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
Quad exhaust tips are still not connected to the muffler for the ISF.
Originally Posted by Lexura1414
Though, I am just not sure about the tailpipes connection.
Originally Posted by lowrideraz
Nope, they are not. They still use the diffuser with the muffler emptying into that and the gases then going to the tips. With the tips mounted rigidly to the bumper and the mufflers being a vibrating moving part, if Lexus did attach the muffler directly to the tips, it would rip the tip assembly to shreds. BTW, I know the LS also uses this approach and I have a feeling the new GS does as well. I have seen the new GS, but did not look underneath it. Other cars that use this approach are the Audi R8, Ferrari F430 Scuderia and California, and etc.
I stand corrected. Thanks for explaining about the quad exhaust. All I know is they look and sound darn good!
Old 06-23-12, 02:04 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DCoolBeans
You compared an Sporty V8 engine with a blah V6...........What did you think was gonna be the out come

The interior of the GS is great, front bumper looks pretty nice, but the rear is where they f'd up. I've seen a couple so far in the street from the rear, and every time I was like is that a Hyundai??
Originally Posted by ISF001
I owned a 2009 GS 350 before buying the F. Trust me when I say it's a great sedan but it's far from being an F. The 2013 GS 350 f-sport "feels" fast on it climb to 60 in 5.7 secs--the same time as the 2009. While it handles better, Lexus knows a true GS-F is needed to compete with the M5 (and for that matter to share the ground next to the IS-F).

I also believe seasoned F drivers have a tough time with this comparison. Again, two different animals for two quite different drivers.

I was told by Lexus today the GS-F is a 2014 car...we'll see then if it can "F"ly.
Originally Posted by Autobacs
Apples and oranges but nice work doing it.
Absolutely right: Apples and oranges. Take aways for me were:
(1) Lexus is doing a great job on its new vehicles
(2) The GS F Sport is a fantastic car
(3) Despite (1) and (2) above, I still walked out of the dealership craving the IS F
Old 06-23-12, 02:08 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexura1414
Very very nice comparison.

Do you work for a car a magazine?
Originally Posted by melbitoast
This looks like a knock-off / re-write story from the latest Car & Driver. I've read this story recently while on vacation in Carmel, but this author made some changes. I believe it was Car & Driver, but I certainly remember it was specifically written to compare the GS350 F Sport and the ISF and in a VERY similar tone.

Anyway, too long, stopped reading soon after realizing what I said above.
Thanks for the compliments. I'm really flattered. I don't work for a car magazine. And I didn't even know there was an article comparing the IS F and the GS F Sport. If anyone can find it please post the link! I wrote the original post because I was very enthusiastic about the cars. Hopefully that comes through in the writeup.

Last edited by NewSpace; 06-23-12 at 02:18 PM.
Old 06-23-12, 07:40 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Autobacs
Not really. The GS-F w/ a 3.5 is more of a marketing move. Think of it as a sedan w/ improved handling. It obviously is not going to turn heads w/ its power. It competes w/ the likes of the G37 or a 530/535/.
It has the same exact 3.5 V6 that the 3rd Gen GS had. I think it has like 10 more hp or something very minimal. It could have used a power bump with it being a whole new car.
Old 06-24-12, 06:48 PM
lexsane
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when I had my 3rd generation GS I was finding myself making excuses to drive my wife's volkswagen GTI..cause it was fun to drive...don't get me wrong GS is a great car..i even miss some of its features from time to time..
but now that I have my IS-F..i don't want to drive anything else. if you are a car enthusiast and its between 3rd or 4th generation GS and IS-F..its IS-F every time.

08 red IS-F--swift racing technology intake, hid fogs, calibre K-40 radar, tint, drl bulbs, 3m 1080 black carbon fiber wrap on roof, carbon fiber roof spoiler, lightly smoked out taillights, alumapro bp-10 subwoofer, jl jx-500 amplifier.
Old 06-24-12, 10:12 PM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

I wish Lexus would have named their mildly modified line a different name than F-Sport
as people are comparing F-Sport basically visual parts and simple mods to highly modified F vehicles .

To compare the IS F to any F-sport vehicle is truly apples to orange

and kind of like - why do it if not just for fun

like they say there is only one true F
and now we have the LFA

Hopefully they will build a GSF and have a a true F vehicle instead of a GS with a "pretty package" on it
Old 06-24-12, 11:31 PM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Loved the new interior design of the GS and the drive of the GS F Sport but I still ended up buying a 2012 ISF... Cant get enough of the power!
Old 06-25-12, 09:59 AM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 78 Posts

very nice write up and comparison. I was lucky enough to check out a gs350 f sport over the weekend and after sitting inside of it, I 100% agree with you. The interior, the lights, the gauges. space, color, etc all of it was amazing! Thanks for sharing!
Old 06-25-12, 08:00 PM
lexsane
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NYC ES3
I wish Lexus would have named their mildly modified line a different name than F-Sport
as people are comparing F-Sport basically visual parts and simple mods to highly modified F vehicles .

To compare the IS F to any F-sport vehicle is truly apples to orange

and kind of like - why do it if not just for fun

like they say there is only one true F
and now we have the LFA

Hopefully they will build a GSF and have a a true F vehicle instead of a GS with a "pretty package" on it
I agree..alot of people think this new gs-f sport is a real GS-F or it's just as fast as an IS-F..it's only got like 4 more horses that the 3rd generation GS. thats why I didn't buy one. You can get a 3 series with the M rims and they dont throw an M badge on it..same thing with a Mercedes..you can get AMG rims on a regular C class and they don't throw AMG decals all over it..I think Lexus got a little overzealous with the F badging on the GS.
Old 06-26-12, 12:15 AM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexsane
I agree..alot of people think this new gs-f sport is a real GS-F or it's just as fast as an IS-F..it's only got like 4 more horses that the 3rd generation GS. thats why I didn't buy one. You can get a 3 series with the M rims and they dont throw an M badge on it..same thing with a Mercedes..you can get AMG rims on a regular C class and they don't throw AMG decals all over it..I think Lexus got a little overzealous with the F badging on the GS.
I don't think that Lexus is being that overzealous with the F badging... I count 2 external badges for the F-Sport, one on each side. Doesn't seem excessive to me. Audi has the exact same badge location for their ubiquitous S-Line packages which don't add hp either. Sure there's no fender badging on the M-Sport and the C-Class AMG kit, but as you said they're on the wheels, as standard equipment. So if you're counting badges the M-Sport and C-AMG kit there's double the number compared to Lexus and Audi.

For comparison's sake, there are 3 external badges on my F (again, same as Audi), and 5 F badges inside, 7 if you have the original floor mats and 9 if you have one of the Neiman Marcus editions (2 on the headrest) with the original floor mats. How's THAT for overzealous?

And surely (no, not calling you Shirley, and if you don't get that joke then DAMN I'm old...), if you took a bunch of people who are not total car nuts and showed them a debadged BMW 328i with M-Sport package driving by and told them it's an M3... I think the majority of them would believe you. I remember when I was browsing the bimmerpost forums it was quite commonly reported by owners of 3er coupes with M-Sport kits that they were frequently mistaken for M3's, especially if they were debadged. It was even suggested by forum members to a guy who wanted the status of an M3 without spending too much cash to just get an M-Sport because (paraphrasing), "most regular folks won't tell the difference anyway without looking at the badge". So especially considering the newness of the line some confusion amongst the public should be understandable. And is not limited to just Lexus.

The only difference between Lexus and the Germans is that Lexus didn't come out with a true F model GS before the F-Sport. If they did, I think that would have alleviated a bit of the confusion by non-Lexus fans. Although despite that, that doesn't nullify the justification of the F-Sport in my opinion.
Old 06-26-12, 05:28 AM
BIGCARL78
Rookie

Not sure why lexus didn't put the same 5.0 litre engine in the GS
Old 06-26-12, 08:03 AM
lexsane
Pole Position

ok iceiridium ..I see your point. I agree they are going backwards..if a GS-F came out already there would be less confusion for the less car-savvy folks out there.
Hopefully they didn't drop the 5.0 liter in the upcoming GS-F because they are going to drop a 5.7 liter V8 badboy in there and hopefully I can afford to still buy one if it ever comes out
Old 06-26-12, 01:52 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,296 Posts

Originally Posted by IceIridium

And surely (no, not calling you Shirley, and if you don't get that joke then DAMN I'm old...)
AND DON'T CALL ME SHIRLEY

Lou