IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Anyone "run" with a new ECU-tuned Audi S4?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-12, 02:53 PM
quad
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My response was with regard to this statement:

"I think you need to realize in ANY race whether on the track or on the street, it's always the driver that determines the faster car!!!! "

It's true for "like" cars of comparable HP/TQ, but not true in ANY race...

That's all I was suggesting.

Quad
Old 06-12-12, 02:54 PM
quad
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jat0223
I thought the m3 had 414hp and less torque no?
Correct, the Lexus does NOT have the lowest HP numbers of the lot.

Quad
Old 06-13-12, 09:00 AM
mugenh22a4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Weapon F
Your GTO comparo is kind of unfair since it's a v8 with 550 (almost 50 more than a C63)
C63 comes 450hp or 480 with factory tune, so that would be 100hp more over stock C63 and 70hp with factory tune.

At 416hp it's got the lowest hp output of it's class. The M3, C63 and CTSV all have more power.
M3 is 414hp/290tq and ISF 416hp/374tq that makes M3 with the lowest hp/tq numbers in this class, but it still manages to be class leader in everything but 1/4 times.
Although the M3 has less torque at the crank, it can still manage to keep up because it can afford shorter gearing because of its higher 8,300 rpm redline. In other words, it's got greater torque multiplication through its shorter gearing. I haven't done the math, but I would imagine the torque at the wheels is similar to the IS-F's, despite the lower crank torque.
Old 06-13-12, 08:11 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Too much reading to realize that most of the comments are based on magazines, friends of friends, etc. How many of you guys have driven all these cars and can make an unbiased review?

M3 drives beautiful, it's as fast as an ISF as long as you keep shifting at redline, otherwise it feels like you dropped 4 cylinders somewhere on the road.

S4 (actually I've driven an S5) is a very nice car, slow and heavy but NICE.

C63: brutal, monster engine for a C-Class chassis. Other than the few cosmetic additions, it can pass as a C250.

CTS-V is in a different class, it should be compared to a 5-Series, E-Class, or GS series. Refined american muscle car, that means improved cheap interior (compared to all other cars on this thread) with a huge displacement engine.

ISF... I'm on my second one!
Old 06-14-12, 09:36 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by quad
Speaking about the new IS-F, when is it expected to see NA? Any word at all on it? I love the new design, and the front a lot more than the new "F" series that seem to be rolling out, but don't want to get the current version, if the new one will be world's different/better...

Quad
Lexus friends tell me 2014 and possibly 2015. Expect some more horsepower, design enhancements to the body, but it is unlikely that you will find drastic change to the heart of the car.

The recent independent 3rd party survey that I completed for Lexus on the F smacked of a high degree of caution in radically altering the car.

I'm sure that it will attract the typical Lexus F buyer seeking a balance of super-car like performance and a Lexus-branded cockpit with creature comforts...and a higher price tag.
Old 06-14-12, 11:40 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Juanca
Too much reading to realize that most of the comments are based on magazines, friends of friends, etc. How many of you guys have driven all these cars and can make an unbiased review?

M3 drives beautiful, it's as fast as an ISF as long as you keep shifting at redline, otherwise it feels like you dropped 4 cylinders somewhere on the road.

S4 (actually I've driven an S5) is a very nice car, slow and heavy but NICE.

C63: brutal, monster engine for a C-Class chassis. Other than the few cosmetic additions, it can pass as a C250.

CTS-V is in a different class, it should be compared to a 5-Series, E-Class, or GS series. Refined american muscle car, that means improved cheap interior (compared to all other cars on this thread) with a huge displacement engine.

ISF... I'm on my second one!

I've driven all of those plenty of times - if I had to grab the key to one car the most often, it would be the M3 - best balance IMO.

C63 is like a muscle car drag racer in disguise, awesome power, so-so looks and always thirsty for gas. I swore I filled that thing up like 5 times going to LA! haha
Old 04-03-13, 03:14 PM
xXLDXx
Driver School Candidate

Here is an update for anyone that interested.
In the video is the Revo technik chipped B8 S4 vs the newest RS4 (which I assume faster than the ISF ?)

Enjoy!!!
Old 04-03-13, 08:22 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by xXLDXx
Here is an update for anyone that interested.
In the video is the Revo technik chipped B8 S4 vs the newest RS4 (which I assume faster than the ISF ?)

Enjoy!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KfMY96v_Gc
The RS4 is slower than the F. See the videos below and cry:

Old 04-04-13, 07:39 PM
Sonicjlee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexura1414
The RS4 is slower than the F. See the videos below and cry:

IS F v RS4 - YouTube

Lexus ISF Vs Audi RS4 Truth Revealed.3gp - YouTube
A stock IS-F is faster than a stock B7 RS4 (drivers being equal) but the RS4 vs S4 video above featured a B8 RS4 which is not available in the US yet...that could be quicker than an IS-F.

Anyone run their IS-F against an RS5 yet? That would be the closest thing to a B8 RS4 that we have access to in the US.
Old 04-04-13, 08:42 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

I did not bother watching the videos as this RS4 is not even available in the U.S. The RS5 might be a little faster than F.
Old 04-04-13, 10:13 PM
BS ISF
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Toothdoc and I ran last fall at the track with a tune and intake only B8 S4 and he was running 12.5-.7! I believe a stasis or Apr tune. Quick with launch control cutting high 1.8 60' times. Mph was lowaround 107-09 though.
Old 07-14-13, 04:56 PM
Roffles
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Someone in my neighborhood just got a B8 S4 and they were messing with me a bit. It wasn't the time or place to race so I just figured the guy was trolling. So I get home and see what the new S4 is about and I see this video.

Decently fast but nothing special to about 70mph, but then the acceleration drops off a cliff as its crawls to 80-90-100+. I would absolutely murder one of these on a freeway in stock form. It would take a major tune and full bolt-ons to make up for its lack of decent rolling acceleration. Why was that guy messing with me?
Old 07-14-13, 06:50 PM
CometVR4
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ It appears as though he's struggling with that 335i
Old 07-14-13, 07:13 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

I drove a B8 S4 during my shopping phase before I got my ISF. Beautiful interior and solid car, but not up to par with an ISF on performance. Many people have said it's more of a competitor to the 335i, and I'd agree. Tuned S4s go about as fast as tuned 335is. The right combo of tune and bolt ons can make it faster than a stock ISF, but out of the box, it's a notch below the ISF.

Even though it is slower, the S5 is one of my favorite cars under $65k out there though.
Old 07-17-13, 06:11 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

^^^ I totally agree with you! I tested drove a beautiful S5 late in 2011, I loved the car but once you get used to the ISF performance, you don't want to go any slower. I ended up buying another ISF.

Quick Reply: Anyone "run" with a new ECU-tuned Audi S4?