IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Anyone "run" with a new ECU-tuned Audi S4?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-12, 01:02 PM
quad
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone "run" with a new ECU-tuned Audi S4?

Hi folks,

Fairly new here. I've been driving a few cars to determine what will replace my old Audi. Of course, the first thing I drove was the new, B8, S4.

I don't like the exterior (boring), but the interior is nice. Well, after driving it, I was completely underwhelmed. SC V6? Compared to the IS F, it was a snail.

I'm just curious if anyone has run with the new S4, but one that's had the ECU tune from APR or Stassis (or comparable).

Supposedly, a chipped S4 puts out 410 rwhp, and 370 rwtq. However, I can't imagine it being able to keep up with the IS F's 5.0 NA.

Anybody out there done this? I don't see any YouTube videos indicating this type of run. Just waiting a few more months to find my new ride - just want to completely eliminate the S4 from the possibilities (all else being equal, I want the faster car)...

Thanks all,

Quad
Old 05-31-12, 01:23 PM
CaptAwsm
Lead Lap

My buddy has a B8 with exhaust, tune, and pulley.. APR or AWE, I forget which brand. It definitely moves, but it really feels like a much bigger car than my ISF, not nearly as nimble. He says its a big difference. We haven't had any real good runs against each other, just a couple highway pulls that weren't too controlled of an experiment. Both of us were also on Blizzacks lol. Hopefully this summer I will have some better results for you.

However, he was just telling me about Audi has some new software scanning abilities, that just came out. Apparently they can tell if anything has ever been messed with, even if you reflash or get a new ECU.. I am not sure on the details, you better check their forums. He was pissed because its a brand new car that they might not warranty anymore. He bought the tune under the impression it will be reversible. Def a nice car tho.
Old 05-31-12, 01:26 PM
mugenh22a4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by quad

Supposedly, a chipped S4 puts out 410 rwhp, and 370 rwtq. However, I can't imagine it being able to keep up with the IS F's 5.0 NA.

Thanks all,

Quad
Seems like you're judging this purely by numbers. So why wouldn't 410 rwhp and 370 wtq not keep up (or beat) the IS-F?
Old 05-31-12, 01:43 PM
BryanLeISF
Pole Position

According to their site the Apr stage 1 ecu upgrade makes 362awhp on 93 octane so i'm not sure where 410whp came from, but I could be mistaken. I personally would go with the F based on looks, power, and reliability. It seems that looking at the Apr tune you are open to modifications..with exhaust and headers the F has plenty of power. Unfortunately I have only run a stock s4, but I did win fairly easily
Old 05-31-12, 01:53 PM
ISFSteve
Lead Lap

I know someone with an S4 and it is a nice car but the reliability is not the same as the F.
Old 05-31-12, 03:00 PM
dLad
Driver

Originally Posted by mugenh22a4
Seems like you're judging this purely by numbers. So why wouldn't 410 rwhp and 370 wtq not keep up (or beat) the IS-F?
i don't know if those numbers r correct....but i'll tell you why it may or may not keep up. i think it would not keep up with those similar hp/torque numbers due to our transmission and lightning quick shifting, in combo with our traction control. another factor could be weight, but the shifting/tranny is my answer.

on another note, my buddy has a new s4 and we went at it when he only had intake, and i blew hi outof the water(i have stock isf + iss forged quad exhaust system).....then he had it chipped/tuned with the stasis chip/tune...so we went at it again, and i was still faster by a pretty decent amount, however his car was way way way way faster with the stasis stuff done in combo with the intake.....just a week or two ago he had the exhaust done....we haven't gone at it yet, but from my research of the stasis upgrade...it's hp/torque claims are from the chip/tune in combo with the exhaust.....so im sure his car is even quicker now. I would be shocked if he was faster than my ISF, but i expect him t keep up now. I do think it's possible(but still not likely) that he might beat a stock isf with his intake, stasis chip/tune, and exhaust. Even though i haven't run with him yet, i'm positive it's faster than when we went at it with only intake and stasis work done.

hope this answers what you were asking about....
Old 05-31-12, 06:46 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a 5 sec/155 mph performer that is certain to require lots of garage time...it's German.

It's not an F, but if you like German, Den Wagon kaufen (by the car).

I can't get enough driving time in my F, and it continues to thrill.
Old 05-31-12, 08:01 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

I have driven a real Stasis S4 which means it was sold by an Audi dealer and warrantied as if coming from factory. One thing I can tell you is that it felt as fast as my F if not faster. If I am buying an S4 I will buy this variant/chip/tune. Am just not sure about how it affected the car's reliability given that it is an Audi.
Old 06-01-12, 06:13 AM
mugenh22a4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dLad
i don't know if those numbers r correct....but i'll tell you why it may or may not keep up. i think it would not keep up with those similar hp/torque numbers due to our transmission and lightning quick shifting, in combo with our traction control. another factor could be weight, but the shifting/tranny is my answer.

on another note, my buddy has a new s4 and we went at it when he only had intake, and i blew hi outof the water(i have stock isf + iss forged quad exhaust system).....then he had it chipped/tuned with the stasis chip/tune...so we went at it again, and i was still faster by a pretty decent amount, however his car was way way way way faster with the stasis stuff done in combo with the intake.....just a week or two ago he had the exhaust done....we haven't gone at it yet, but from my research of the stasis upgrade...it's hp/torque claims are from the chip/tune in combo with the exhaust.....so im sure his car is even quicker now. I would be shocked if he was faster than my ISF, but i expect him t keep up now. I do think it's possible(but still not likely) that he might beat a stock isf with his intake, stasis chip/tune, and exhaust. Even though i haven't run with him yet, i'm positive it's faster than when we went at it with only intake and stasis work done.

hope this answers what you were asking about....
Regardless of your race with your buddy and whether you're sure of the actual numbers or not, I still don't understand how you can state that an S4 with 410 whp and 370 wtq can't keep up with a stock ISF.

I guess it just bothers me that some members seem to think the ISF can walk all over anything.
Old 06-01-12, 09:12 AM
BryanLeISF
Pole Position

I definitely agree with you. based purely on those numbers the s4 should get away with a win because those are close to the specs the F makes at the crank stock. I love my F and with headers/exhaust its a beast, but its by no means unbeatable lol alot of built/boosted hondas could eat me alive. when you're talking modded cars, the sky is the limit
Old 06-01-12, 09:26 AM
Dv8tion388
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just taking a quick peak in DragTimes and theyre slower because theyre heavier.

http://www.dragtimes.com/Audi--S4-Dr...sort=year-down

I'll run a 12.2 all day long on street tires and bolt ons. I'll run 11.4 and lower all bottle& DR long with nitrous.

Its safe to say that the S4 is slower stock and modified ESPECIALLY from a rolling start when compared to the IS-F stock/mod. 60-120mph-IS-F all day long.

~Dv8
Old 06-01-12, 12:02 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BryanLeISF
I definitely agree with you. based purely on those numbers the s4 should get away with a win because those are close to the specs the F makes at the crank stock. I love my F and with headers/exhaust its a beast, but its by no means unbeatable lol alot of built/boosted hondas could eat me alive. when you're talking modded cars, the sky is the limit
The sky is not the limit, but I would bet the F outperforms the STaSIS. I agree the sky is not the limit for the F or any other car, but in its stock class, its a leader.

Read what the AUDI boys are saying about the STaSIS...http://forums.audiworld.com/showthre...ge=9&t=2791916

"Originally Posted by drrick89
I had the exact same question when I looked at their material. They seem to be Audi's somewhat fuzzy numbers to their own advantage.

For instance, they say that their ECU increases 0-60 speed from 4.9 seconds down to 4.5 seconds. But, a lot of the car mags put the acceleration numbers for the stock S4 in the 4.7 range. In fact, didn't Car & Driver quote a 4.5 second 0-60 sprint with their stock car? But, let's say the 4.7 second number is more correct.

How about hp? As far as the S4's stock hp goes, I've seen a lot of folks quoting the 370 hp figure. So let's take the 370 hp and the 4.7 second number as correct and do a little figuring here. Let's see, to get to their modified numbers of 410 hp and 0-60 speeds of 4.5 seconds we would have a 40 hp gain with a two tenths of a second quicker 0-60 sprint.

How much are they charging for this? $1495? Just under fifteen hundred dollars? I don't know about you guys, but $1500 for a 40 hp gain and several tenths of a second quicker to 60 seems a bit steep for me.

If you don't believe my numbers, look at their own video they released of stock vs. modified. Their modified car does steadily pull away from a stock car - but not very dramtically to my eye. I was *not* impressed - esp. for $1500! What do you guys think?"
Old 06-01-12, 12:36 PM
BryanLeISF
Pole Position

I definitely agree that the F is a leader in its stock class. With the OP saying "all else being equal, I want the faster car" I think he will be happy with the F. comparing a chipped s4 v stock F is a bit different. then we could go back and forth with mods such as headers/exhaust/nitrous. There's always going to be somebody out there who is faster but stock for stock I'd choose the F
Old 06-01-12, 01:05 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

I definitely agree that the F is a leader in its stock class. With the OP saying "all else being equal, I want the faster car" I think he will be happy with the F. comparing a chipped s4 v stock F is a bit different. then we could go back and forth with mods such as headers/exhaust/nitrous. There's always going to be somebody out there who is faster but stock for stock I'd choose the F
Well put...
Old 06-01-12, 02:25 PM
IS350atWOT
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, well said.

Quick Reply: Anyone "run" with a new ECU-tuned Audi S4?