IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Air Cup Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-12, 05:37 AM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Air Cup Suspension

Reading the Molded Wald Thread got me thinking.....

Is anyone else using an air cup on there coil over suspension?
Umbrella Auto, Phantom, ect..

Up here in the northeast the roads can be a little challenging at times. Boston is known for its bad roads.
I've always run my cars on coilovers but I like the idea of having the extra ride hight when needed, BUT not at the expense of performance/function.
I know that raising the car while driving will kill my alignment setting so that won't be my objective.
Is there anything negative to these kits?
Will they effect performance?
What kit has the best quality/fitment?
Are any of them variable?
(I was thinking align the car at 50% then lower when parked or lift for clearance.)
I'm probably getting ahead of my self with that last thought.
Old 05-04-12, 07:45 AM
CaptAwsm
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed my kit from Umbrella, got it back two days ago. I'm still testing it out and playing around with it before I give my review/impressions. I'll post a thread about it with photos in a week or two. After all the love KWV3s have been getting on this forum, I decided to have my kit made with those. So far the suspension feels better than stock with the KWs, though I never really had a problem with the stock suspension. I can see how people had said the KWs improve ride quality and def handle off-ramps a lot better!

As per negatives, I dont know of any, besides cost. However, Im no suspension expert. I got this kit because I wanted coilovers, but my steep driveway would make that impossible.. a 2.25 inch air lift in the front now made my dreams of coilovers possible.
Old 05-04-12, 07:56 AM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here's a member that did an umbrella cup kit install....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-wald-isf.html
Old 05-04-12, 10:14 AM
SpmMorrow
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RCB
Reading the Molded Wald Thread got me thinking.....

Is anyone else using an air cup on there coil over suspension?
Umbrella Auto, Phantom, ect..

Up here in the northeast the roads can be a little challenging at times. Boston is known for its bad roads.
I've always run my cars on coilovers but I like the idea of having the extra ride hight when needed, BUT not at the expense of performance/function.
I know that raising the car while driving will kill my alignment setting so that won't be my objective.
Is there anything negative to these kits?
Will they effect performance?
What kit has the best quality/fitment?
Are any of them variable?
(I was thinking align the car at 50% then lower when parked or lift for clearance.)
I'm probably getting ahead of my self with that last thought.
I have been speaking with Solomon @ Exotic Air, seems like a knowledgeable guy and his work looks great. I'll PM you his contact info, you may want to reach out to him for specifics.
Old 05-04-12, 04:12 PM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Looking forward to hearing your review!

Originally Posted by CaptAwsm
I just installed my kit from Umbrella, got it back two days ago. I'm still testing it out and playing around with it before I give my review/impressions. I'll post a thread about it with photos in a week or two. After all the love KWV3s have been getting on this forum, I decided to have my kit made with those. So far the suspension feels better than stock with the KWs, though I never really had a problem with the stock suspension. I can see how people had said the KWs improve ride quality and def handle off-ramps a lot better!

As per negatives, I dont know of any, besides cost. However, Im no suspension expert. I got this kit because I wanted coilovers, but my steep driveway would make that impossible.. a 2.25 inch air lift in the front now made my dreams of coilovers possible.
Old 08-20-15, 07:41 AM
liquidtek
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyMikee
Umbrella have great air cup suspension kits, but also very expensive.. I've got them from http://www.stanceparts.com/air-cup-suspension/ and it really works great!
Same system, same air cup idea...
hey mikey I see you're local. What suspension are you using the aircups on? I been wanting a cup kit but don't want to spend a small fortune on the umbrella just for the ability to go over obstacles. I'm on KWv3
Old 08-20-15, 03:41 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

I cannot find the cost anywhere.