Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Air Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-02, 10:01 AM
enginyr
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Air Suspension

I have really been thinking about getting a new suspension lately and for $1300 I can get pretty good coilovers installed. Only problem is I don't have the time to be adjusting all day. When I went to IAS, Internation Auto Salon in long beach on Saturday I saw alot of rides on an air suspension (like a regular shock with an air line running to it). THIS IS NOT HYDROLICS. No beans for me. But it comes with a generator and air tank for $2400 installed. This means fully adjustable suspension at all times. 5 way switchbox. I'm really think about getting it.
Old 04-23-02, 10:18 AM
ap0718
Lead Lap

Airbags on a Lex, I have yet to see that. It's came across my mind as well. The only thing is that I have heard that the ride get a lot more rough---a lot of bouncing and I don't know if I would like that too much on a luxury sports sedan.
Old 04-23-02, 10:38 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Air Suspension

Originally posted by enginyr
I have really been thinking about getting a new suspension lately and for $1300 I can get pretty good coilovers installed. Only problem is I don't have the time to be adjusting all day. When I went to IAS, Internation Auto Salon in long beach on Saturday I saw alot of rides on an air suspension (like a regular shock with an air line running to it). THIS IS NOT HYDROLICS. No beans for me. But it comes with a generator and air tank for $2400 installed. This means fully adjustable suspension at all times. 5 way switchbox. I'm really think about getting it.
air tank and compressor...... sounds awfully like hydraulics

I've did some research about this before......... I found some very nice air-suspension for the GS. It's like air-filled adjustable tubes (replaces springs and shocks) that are 100 times better than airbags. Adjustable height and DAMPING. Costs about $4500 USD.
Old 04-23-02, 10:43 AM
enginyr
Banned

Default Re: Re: Air Suspension

Originally posted by GlobeCLK

air tank and compressor...... sounds awfully like hydraulics

I've did some research about this before......... I found some very nice air-suspension for the GS. It's like air-filled adjustable tubes (replaces springs and shocks) that are 100 times better than airbags. Adjustable height and DAMPING. Costs about $4500 USD.
Maybe that what it use to cost. You probably were searching a while back. Prices have come down extremely.

Hydrolics use fluid.......

Air Springs versus Hydraulics

Hydraulics are essentially actuators which run liquid instead of compressed gas or air. Just imagine an Air Shock system run with hydraulic oil instead of air and you have a Hydraulic set-up. However, the design of a hydraulic cylinder is rather different from a gas or air shock cylinder. They are designed to be a lot stronger due to the nature of running liquid versus air. However, this increase in durability does not mean hydraulics ride better. In fact, the ride you get from Hydraulics is not as good as stock. With air springs, the truck rides better than stock. Hydraulics can be installed with gas shocks, but this doesn't increase the ride quality a whole lot, and decreases the speed and amount of the lift somewhat. Accumulators can be added to the hydro cylinder to increase damping and create a softer ride, but the ride is still not as good as with an Air Spring. Simply put, hydraulic cylinders are not springs, nor were they designed to be used as springs. They were originally designed for use as actuators, and (ideally) should not be installed without springs or shocks. The reason why Hydraulics don't provide a stock-like, smooth ride is because liquid cannot be compressed as easily as gas or air, and therefore the amount of damping you get from a hydraulic cylinder is minimal. But this is exactly why they are used in those "hopping" trucks. When the liquid is being injected into a hydraulic cylinder during lift, it does not undergo very much compression, and therefore lifts the truck up very fast and very high, often allowing it to leave the ground entirely, depending on the set-up. When air is injected into Air Springs or Air Shocks during lift, the air undergoes a lot of compression compared to liquid, and thus cannot raise the truck as fast, unless you have a high-end set-up with dual compressors, large-diameter air line, air valves, solenoids, and big air tanks. Upgrades such as these will allow Air Springs to lift almost as fast as hydraulics. Air is a much better damper than liquid, and that is why you get a better ride with Air Springs than with Hydraulics. Air Springs are, essentially, cylinders themselves, just like hydraulic cylinders. However, the air spring is constructed in a totally different way. They were designed to be both springs and actuators. Hydraulic cylinders use moving parts which need to be maintained. This is not so with air springs. There is no maintenance needed.
Old 04-23-02, 11:19 AM
gsnav
Lead Lap

I got a question about suspension. Don't you have to get an alignment everytime you raise or drop the height? Or with air suspension, you dont' have to? Let me know somebody.
Old 04-23-02, 11:52 AM
Wheels Boutique
Former sponsor

enginyr,

The bags/pistons are nice but definetly not for a GS here in Miami at least it is popular among ricers.... dont mean to diss I have thought about it too but the main purpose of a lexus is ride comfort and if you do the air ride you will definetly sacrifice that. also i know alot of cars with it and the car begins to get loose and rattle the suspension components take a beating and i feel that you have a nice ride and you would in a sense ruin (spelling) it..... Also if you ever think of putting a body kit especially a low one it will get all messed up and you will not be able to go as low anyways....
Old 04-23-02, 11:59 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

ok well the ones I'm talkin about are AIR suspensions. It's aluminum cylinder cans filled with air, replacing springs and shocks. They work like airbags but provides reliability and strength of coilovers.

And that set is just released a few months ago. I'm sure it's worth every penny of it. It's definitely not something that's out right now. Adjustable height AND DAMPING? You dont' get that in airbags or hydraulics
Old 04-23-02, 12:02 PM
enginyr
Banned

Originally posted by GlobeCLK
ok well the ones I'm talkin about are AIR suspensions. It's aluminum cylinder cans filled with air, replacing springs and shocks. They work like airbags but provides reliability and strength of coilovers.

And that set is just released a few months ago. I'm sure it's worth every penny of it. It's definitely not something that's out right now. Adjustable height AND DAMPING? You dont' get that in airbags or hydraulics

The way I was informed is......The higher you set your ryde at , the firmer your suspension is. Lower it is, softer your ryde is.

So you can have the best of both worlds.brb
Old 04-23-02, 12:13 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by ap0718
Airbags on a Lex, I have yet to see that. It's came across my mind as well. The only thing is that I have heard that the ride get a lot more rough---a lot of bouncing and I don't know if I would like that too much on a luxury sports sedan.
One of the ES guys has it, he lives in my state. I forgot who he is though. Might want to check out the ES forum.
Old 04-23-02, 12:17 PM
clivej
Pole Position

Hi Guys,
If i'm not mistaken does'nt the LS 400 have an air suspension available, this was an option from begining. check this out and see if it can adopted to the GS.
clive
Old 04-23-02, 01:26 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by gsnav
I got a question about suspension. Don't you have to get an alignment everytime you raise or drop the height? Or with air suspension, you dont' have to? Let me know somebody.
Yeah, I think you are right, the alignment changes when the height changes.
Old 04-23-02, 02:22 PM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

I have had airbags and Hydrolics on past cars before so if you have any questions let me know...

This is what I know about the GS, you can you air struts for a toyota that will fit for 1000.....plus 500 for lines, tanks, etc,.....problem is that that there is no spring in there anymore and if you turn to hard it can pinch the bag, split and dump your ride instantly......

No the ride is NO WHERE near coilovers, I had those before too...and you can't change the dampining.....air bags are more comfpy then hydros because they have some give in the bag...hyros are locked....zero suspension travel...yes, ZERO...can you say bumpy.....

Air bags are good but they most likely will distroy your ride....cuz you know you will be riding low ALL the time....plus your alinment is set at where you set your standard driving hieght at....and everytime you touch that switch...no more alinment....so you will be having to buy new tires often....but then again....HYDROS/BAGS are the SHIZNIT!!!!!!!!
Old 04-24-02, 04:43 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

You know, there is a point where it gets pointless...
Old 04-24-02, 05:04 AM
0260n5.7
Lexus Tuner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone have a definite response to gsnav's post about the alignment?

MAC
Old 04-24-02, 08:34 AM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by CSHFLW
....plus your alinment is set at where you set your standard driving hieght at....and everytime you touch that switch...no more alinment....so you will be having to buy new tires often

Quick Reply: Air Suspension