IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

New IS-F Owner in NYC + Aftermarket Stereo Questions. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-11, 12:12 PM
FastPaced
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation New IS-F Owner in NYC + Aftermarket Stereo Questions. HELP!

Good afternoon all!

I never intended to make an introduction thread combining it with questions as well, but I figured I have to do both so why not kill two birds with one stone?

My name is Melvin and I'm from NYC. I came from a Nissan 370Z that I traded in to purchase a used 2008 Starfire Pearl IS-F about 3 weeks ago (thank you to whoever traded that in! ) I've been loving the car since then. I have already bought and installed Joe-Z's Intake tube and exhaust. Love them both. My cousin had a Borla exhaust that I thought sounded amazing and when I heard a Borla vs JoeZ comparison on YouTube, it sounded deeper which I figured it must of sounded even better in person... IT DOES! Anyways, I have already met a couple of other IS-F owners in the city (if I haven't met you, feel free to hit me up on here! I'm always looking forward to meeting local members.)

Anyways, now on to my question, and it's regarding aftermarket stereo. I know that many forum ****'s will urge users to use the 'Search' function. Coming from another forum, believe me, I'm not new to this. I have. I have NAV and a ML system. First and foremost, what is your opinion on the ML system? Is it worth upgrading? Everyday I find myself listening to music where some sound absolutely amazing, others fall short. In my Z, I had an upgraded stereo system with some decent high-end components. It sounded amazing, even with regular mp3 music (I'm trying to transition only getting CD quality music.) I have a JBL MS-8 that I want to install but I've found from my research here on the forum that it will not function well with the NAV. Will I really lose functionality of some features such as BT, voice command, etc? Is it possible to tune this or wire it in such a way without killing these features? Does the Audison Bit One do the same or will it integrate better? I also have some Pioneer Stage 4 components, along with some Hertz HCX for the rear doors, 2 Alpine 12" Type-Rs powered by the appropriate amps for all. I also do plan on Dynamatting the vehicle as I can't stand rattle. Can anyone with experience help me out? I'm sort of an Audiophile and if it's possible to tune the existing ML system then installing most of these aftermarket components would really be a waste of money and I really wish to know if I can get the MS-8 to function without killing my NAV functions but if I have to, I will sell it and get an Audison Bit One if that works.

I do definitely want to install my subwoofers as I LOVE some painful heart-pounding bass.

I know I am asking several questions and incoherently as well, but please bare with me! lol
What are your opinions based on your experience and knowledge?

Thank you all for reading. I hope you will all welcome me to this forum. I am looking forward to becoming part of this community and learning all it has to offer. Thanks again!

Last edited by FastPaced; 11-27-11 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Corrections to spelling, grammar and punctuation.
Old 11-27-11, 01:08 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Let me know if you wanna be added to the Official Northeast ISF thread. We keep track of meets and can set up meets together there. It's a great place to link up with local F's. If your friends wanna be on the list let me know... it will be easier to get everyone out together when going to meets.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nor...sf-thread.html

To answer your question, some F owners in the Northeast have added subs to their cars while keeping the stock head unit, and when we all meet up, it is nothing but useful information among all of us. So during meets you can ask around about more mods and sound components as well.

Last edited by VtotheJ; 11-27-11 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-27-11, 01:10 PM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I don't think I've heard any ISF owner replacing the head-unit, only the speakers. That itself means to leave the head-unit alone. The head-unit itself cost $8K, so you probably want to leave it alone. Just upgrade the speakers and or subwoofer. There have been plenty of discussions on that, so do the search.
Old 11-27-11, 01:23 PM
2011ISFNY
Rookie

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree on the ML sound - the base is a bit lacking. Was looking at adding a sub to see if it'll enhace the ML unit. The aystem sounds very good, don't think you'll need a new unit unless the speaker and sub upgrade doesn't work to your liking. Keep us posted on what you end up with. From reading your post - you seem to know lots about "quality" sound. Best of luck.

Being in the NYC area too - would recommed you to sign up to thread that VtotheJ is coordinating too. We can all pick a spot for a meet on a weekend.
Old 11-28-11, 02:02 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I received your PM and just read through your post....

The Audison Bit.1 is an awesome piece and if used properly. I used it on one of my cars and love it. This was Audison's answer to JL Audio's Clean Sweep since more and more cars these days come with integrated stereo systems.

With that being said, the ML is not bad but certainly cannot beat an aftermarket system however you have to ask yourself how much budget do you want to invest. I've created some crazy nice stereo systems but in the end it's all about how much $$$ you want to invest. Competing in the IASCA PRO class I can tell you most of those guys have double in stereo what the car is worth and that is the norm.

I do know one person who has replaced the IS-F setup with an iPad2, Audison Bit.1 and some other quality audiphile components

There is way too much info to cover here on a post so my advice is to find a local car audio dealer who really knows what they are doing.

I would consider Macintosh, Focal, Audison, JL Audio, and Alpine as my top choices - but no matter what audio gear you pick, it will only be STRONGEST as it's weakest link which is the installer who puts this in your car. Labor is expensive if you get into custom fabrication and that is the ONLY way to properly get a deck into an IS-F dash. I really wanted to go this route in my IS-F but my family priorities come first so that never happened.

Since we are on opposite coasts there isn't much I can do to help here....

rick
Old 11-28-11, 04:22 PM
FastPaced
Rookie

Originally Posted by s4play
I received your PM and just read through your post....

The Audison Bit.1 is an awesome piece and if used properly. I used it on one of my cars and love it. This was Audison's answer to JL Audio's Clean Sweep since more and more cars these days come with integrated stereo systems.

With that being said, the ML is not bad but certainly cannot beat an aftermarket system however you have to ask yourself how much budget do you want to invest. I've created some crazy nice stereo systems but in the end it's all about how much $$$ you want to invest. Competing in the IASCA PRO class I can tell you most of those guys have double in stereo what the car is worth and that is the norm.

I do know one person who has replaced the IS-F setup with an iPad2, Audison Bit.1 and some other quality audiphile components

There is way too much info to cover here on a post so my advice is to find a local car audio dealer who really knows what they are doing.

I would consider Macintosh, Focal, Audison, JL Audio, and Alpine as my top choices - but no matter what audio gear you pick, it will only be STRONGEST as it's weakest link which is the installer who puts this in your car. Labor is expensive if you get into custom fabrication and that is the ONLY way to properly get a deck into an IS-F dash. I really wanted to go this route in my IS-F but my family priorities come first so that never happened.

Since we are on opposite coasts there isn't much I can do to help here....

rick
Well I don't plan to replace the HU at all. What I really want to know is whether the JBL MS-8 will work on my F without killing some NAV features as others have experienced. And if that's the case, then I will sell it, and buy the Audison Bit One if it'll work without disabling some Nav features. That is really my main concern. I'm sorry I wasn't really being too clear
Old 11-29-11, 07:24 AM
chris6878
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The jbl ms8 is shaky at best. Many installers don't like it for any system. Too much headache. The bit one is great. I went with the bit ten which is basically the same thing but cheaper. I did morel elate 3 way in the doors and a morel 12 inch sub in a sealed enclosure. I'm running it with tru technology amps.
Old 11-29-11, 08:01 AM
FastPaced
Rookie

Originally Posted by chris6878
The jbl ms8 is shaky at best. Many installers don't like it for any system. Too much headache. The bit one is great. I went with the bit ten which is basically the same thing but cheaper. I did morel elate 3 way in the doors and a morel 12 inch sub in a sealed enclosure. I'm running it with tru technology amps.
Does your Lexus have Navigation and if it does, did implementing the bit ten disable or render some Nav capabilities from functioning? This is what I'm really interested in knowing.
Old 11-29-11, 09:09 AM
chris6878
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FastPaced
Does your Lexus have Navigation and if it does, did implementing the bit ten disable or render some Nav capabilities from functioning? This is what I'm really interested in knowing.
Didn't affect it at all.
Old 11-29-11, 09:44 AM
FastPaced
Rookie

After some more extensive research, I've found someone who has installed the JBL-MS8 successfully in a ML system with Nav. So with that said, I'll be keeping it for now until I install and if I have any problems, I will report back. Thanks for all the input, guys.