IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

battery last notch

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-11, 08:46 AM
tenspeed
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
Yep, that's been my experience too. And, if the F had a darn Voltmeter in the cluster we could keep track. I added a Voltmeter and Oil Pressure gauge to my last car, a G35 Coupe, pict attached. I wish I could do it with the F Or, maybe the car should have come with those two gauges from the factory, ya think

Lou
Hey Lou, I have a easy solution to added gauges to the F or any car with a OBDII port. I bought a ScanGauge II a few years back and it's a simple one wire install. It has about a dozen gauges built in, it has full trip and fuel use functions and it scans for engine codes if your Check Engine light is on. You can even clear codes.

I have one mounted on my dash and I do look at it many times. I usually leave it on instantaneous MPG's, Tank MPG's, engine temperature and MPH. I change parameters when traveling or when the need arises. I have even programmed in a horsepower parameter. Volts, intake air temp, ignition timing, fuel pressure parameters could come in handy when sorting out problems.

http://www.scangauge.com/products/scangaugeii/

You can get a second wire for use in or scanning a second vehicle. I found that the best price is found on eBay - $160 shipped.

Another neat thing is that when you pick your car up after being serviced, you can check the trip functions for highest RPM, miles driven and highest speed. That is if the gauge was still hooked up to the OBDii port when the car left for the road test. You may want to splice in a second port.

I also noticed when checking out their site that there is a new to me Performance Monitor function. I might have to send my gauge back to get it updated.

Performance Monitor functions:
Track your quarter-mile times and speeds at the track.
Determine your vehicles 0-60 time.
Measure your vehicle’s braking performance
Save and Recall performance runs
Monitor specific Digitial Gauges

Last edited by tenspeed; 11-15-11 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-15-11, 01:17 PM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Just a suggestion......while not a permanent solution certainly this can come in handy for a quick reference......

Last edited by digger08; 01-10-12 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-15-11, 03:12 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

^^ Bingo...!!!!!

Also, you can push "Display" and tap the 2 left corners up/down 3 times.. or something

Mine reads 14.1v on cold start...

~ Joe Z
Old 11-15-11, 09:36 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,293 Posts

tenspeed, thanks for the link. I may investigate that, looks like the make a smaller model with less functions.

digger, thanks for the tip. I tried it, and yep it works. I never realized that info was there But, it's a real cumbersome way to get what could have been included so easily in the cluster. In the old days all cars had ammeters, and today a few cars have volt meters. Either way, I want a battery gauge that's always available, and it with all the modern electronics in a vehicle and all that information available anyway, why not just show it

Neither of the above solutions shows Oil Pressure.

Oh well, can't say I didn't learn something today

Thanks Again Guys!

Lou
Old 11-16-11, 08:56 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Lou, there's no oil pressure transducer. There's switch so if you lose pressure it will tell you pressure is gone, but nothing to give you an actual pressure reading.

I never pay much attention to the gauges - except the speedo - because the information they provide I'm not going to trust anyway. I have far better instruments in my toolbox if I really need to know.