IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Custom headlights in progress

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-11, 10:45 AM
tenspeed
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do like the tinted high beam reflector. It gives an aggressive look. I would choose a different color for my own use.

I have opened quite a few headlights and tail lights for modifing. I am presently working on a pair of ES350 headlights. I make sure that the light will fit in the oven. Sometime you have to move it around to get the door closed. I set the oven at 200-250*F. Let it preheat then turn it off before inserting the light. I place a piece of cardboard in the bottom to keep the light off the rack. I let it soak for ten to fifteen minutes and insert the second light while working on the first. Re-heat as necessary.

I found that the Lexus light was harder to take apart then the GM lights. The glue is stiffer - sort of like tar. Start prying on a larger area. Don't start in a sharp corner because you can snap the lens if the glue isn't soft enough. I work with a butter knife and a thick putty knife. I usually have Popsicle sticks or chop sticks handy to shove in the opening. You can use a hair dryer to warm up an area. Be careful with a heat gun, I've deformed a lens before when it got too hot.

I've never painted a light, I tend to use vinyl to add color. Vinyl gives a sharp line and can be moved into place.
Old 11-10-11, 10:48 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Awesome work! I love custom stuff like this.
Old 11-10-11, 01:10 PM
IsFast3r
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kinda paint is that black? I believe there was another member here that painted that shroud neon green, maybe he can give some tips on how to get it out... we need a DIY on this Great work!
Old 11-10-11, 01:13 PM
IsFast3r
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oops my post was too late! haha good job!
Old 11-11-11, 06:25 PM
mattcocita
Driver School Candidate

That looks pretty sweet! I bet it would look great on black.
Old 11-13-11, 10:50 AM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IsFast3r
What kinda paint is that black? I believe there was another member here that painted that shroud neon green, maybe he can give some tips on how to get it out... we need a DIY on this Great work!
I will do a DIY forsure, shouldn't be too hard.

I will also get a pic of the purple brakes, and a full angle shot of the headlights.. however I want to get my new shoes mounted up.

20x9 (R disk) front, 20x10.5 (O disk) rear Work VsXX 3 piece rims. I am going to see how they look in gold first, before powder coating a custom color.
Attached Thumbnails Custom headlights in progress-image.jpg  
Old 11-13-11, 04:19 PM
KiyomiF
Driver

Originally Posted by 4everkidd
yes, I will look into doing a DIY for the ISF. I think a video hosted on youtube would be the best bet.

headlight paint was duplicolor high heat engine enamel in low gloss black. the paint is incredibly forgiving and drys with a nice even matte finish so you cant see dust .

the purple was duplicolor metalcast which is essentially a chrome/polish tint spray in numerous colors.

a few tips:
1) take your time
2) once you remove the headlight, remove the plastic mount on the bottom (3 screws)
3) remove the 3 small screws attaching the lense to the housing
4) bake the headlight at 225 degrees F for 8 minutes
5) remove and slowly work a butter knife around the edges working the housing away from the lens and pulling up all clips along the way. its like torquing a tire. work your way around evenly
6) once the adhesive begins to firm up (and it will) put it back in the oven for 5 minutes.
7) continue this process until the lens pulls apart from the housing. it only took me twice to remove the lens
8) repeat for the other side
9) once apart there are 3 screws holding the lens to the shroud, as well as 2 screws holding both turn signal housings on. unscrew and remove.
10) paint, 3 light coats with 10 minutes between each coat. no need to sand, use adhesion promoter or clean.
11) once dry reassemble the housing, lens and shrouds
12) bake for 8 minutes and push the lens back into the housing... once again EVENLY all the way around. while still hot screw together lens and housing (3 small screws you removed)
Thanks Nice work... I like the purple!
Old 11-13-11, 06:50 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

bad*** headlights!!
Old 11-14-11, 07:46 AM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
bad*** headlights!!
thanks guys!

i've had quite a few compliments in person. Good news, not a lick of condensation inside of the headlights after driving through a snowstorm for 4 hours and then parking in my underground.
Old 08-27-12, 07:58 AM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Default Custom headlights ROUND 2!

So after several issues with a failed ballast and then motor (and associated flashing AFS light ) I picked up a used set of housings. I decided to go a different route with the headlights, and have started on round 2.

attached are some teasers! project should be done by tomorrow, good news is my "Lexus Blink" is back up and running
Attached Thumbnails Custom headlights in progress-img-20120825-00092.jpg   Custom headlights in progress-img-20120826-00094.jpg  
Old 08-27-12, 10:58 AM
Pqbrown
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Love headlight mods! Keep us updated.
Old 08-27-12, 06:39 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I like the start of this new project. A little color in the headlamp housing is a nice touch. It looks almost like a pearl that dances in the sun. Can't wait for the final product!
Old 08-27-12, 06:54 PM
daniel3ooo
Pole Position

have you ever considered changing the projector or doing some sort of color mod..much like those who have done TSX projectors on other cars? (not sure if the TSX has better output then out IS's)
Old 08-27-12, 07:12 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where did you get that paint? It looks ill as ****!
Old 08-27-12, 07:31 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another question how do you put them back together...

Quick Reply: Custom headlights in progress