IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ISF Headers for California

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-16, 10:45 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,291 Posts

^^^^Nope, I was contemplating moving back to CA, and went to four shops in the Lake Arrowhead, San Bernardino area and was told no way. The fine if the station is caught is a $35K fine and loss of license. You need to know someone.

Lou
Old 12-30-16, 03:46 PM
semnosNSX
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

There are a lot of up sides to living in Cali, but getting your car smogged is not one of them! I laugh when I see people from places like Minnesota posting about how horrible it is to live in Cali because of smog. I think, dude, you're living in a place where you can barely drive the car for 3-4 months of the year because of snow! Anyway, if you are going to live in Cali and not play by the governments smog rules, you have no choice but to be creative in getting around them. And most people resort to paying a shady shop....
The following users liked this post:
Apexsports (01-31-18)
Old 12-30-16, 03:50 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Mr Lou, if u come i'll get you pass sir
Old 12-30-16, 04:27 PM
jspecvtec
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by semnosNSX
There are a lot of up sides to living in Cali, but getting your car smogged is not one of them! I laugh when I see people from places like Minnesota posting about how horrible it is to live in Cali because of smog. I think, dude, you're living in a place where you can barely drive the car for 3-4 months of the year because of snow! Anyway, if you are going to live in Cali and not play by the governments smog rules, you have no choice but to be creative in getting around them. And most people resort to paying a shady shop....
Yeah Cali is the place be. Year round cruise and golf weather. Yeah it's expensive but there are reasons why haha
Old 01-29-18, 11:40 AM
cha7Li3
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any 2011 or older SoCal guys running just headers have any problem with smog? Since there's no sniffer, and that it's pretty hard to tell if our cars is running headers anyway, if they plug into the car and nothing is red we should pass right? I plan to keep the stock exhaust. Sorry only asking since I have to replace my starter and my shop guy tells me that my passenger side headers is damage. Thinking about just upgrading to aftermarket.
Old 01-29-18, 01:17 PM
KLexus50
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cha7Li3
Any 2011 or older SoCal guys running just headers have any problem with smog? Since there's no sniffer, and that it's pretty hard to tell if our cars is running headers anyway, if they plug into the car and nothing is red we should pass right? I plan to keep the stock exhaust. Sorry only asking since I have to replace my starter and my shop guy tells me that my passenger side headers is damage. Thinking about just upgrading to aftermarket.
That depends on if Cali has visual inspection as well.

I thought NJ phased visual inspections out as I've never run into an issue on any of my modded vehicles until this year. The attendant informed me that they are instructed to look under the car with cameras if they hear an exhaust on the car, regardless if they passed the plug-in test.
Old 01-29-18, 01:41 PM
semnosNSX
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by KLexus50
That depends on if Cali has visual inspection as well.

I thought NJ phased visual inspections out as I've never run into an issue on any of my modded vehicles until this year. The attendant informed me that they are instructed to look under the car with cameras if they hear an exhaust on the car, regardless if they passed the plug-in test.
yes, California has a visual test. However, I've never known anyone to have a problem passing the visual unless the "illegal" modification is in plain site and easily identifiable as "illegal". I'm sure it has happened, but I've never had a problem with it nor have I ever met someone who had a problem.
Old 02-01-18, 12:02 AM
Apexsports
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by semnosNSX
yes, California has a visual test. However, I've never known anyone to have a problem passing the visual unless the "illegal" modification is in plain site and easily identifiable as "illegal". I'm sure it has happened, but I've never had a problem with it nor have I ever met someone who had a problem.
True, with a car as relatively rare as an ISF they'd seldom know what to even look for. The guy I use inspects the length of my PPE headers and JoeZ exhaust using mirrors and has passed it each time.
Old 02-02-18, 01:46 PM
PiusGS
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cha7li3
any 2011 or older socal guys running just headers have any problem with smog? Since there's no sniffer, and that it's pretty hard to tell if our cars is running headers anyway, if they plug into the car and nothing is red we should pass right? I plan to keep the stock exhaust. Sorry only asking since i have to replace my starter and my shop guy tells me that my passenger side headers is damage. Thinking about just upgrading to aftermarket.
where in cali?
Old 02-02-18, 10:20 PM
cha7Li3
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PiusGS
where in cali?
SoCal, 714 area
Old 02-04-18, 03:29 PM
ModInJapan
Lexus Enthusiasts

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts

Even if you have the CARB Sticker its still up to the smog station to decide whether they will accept your car to do the smog or not. I had an older car with an intake WITH A Legal SMOG Sticker on it and 3 shops still denied me even though the car was legal.
Old 02-06-18, 03:51 PM
Magnaflow
Former Sponsor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cha7Li3
The chances are slim. If the tech doing the test for some reason didn't notice them, the header would also have to have emissions within the ECU's acceptable parameters (which on late-model cars is a narrow window) because a tuned out 02 sensor will show when they scan OBDII for the readiness test. What this means is if you do meet all these conditions, you are left with a header that makes very little power over stock anyways.

We aren't trying to rain on any parades, but in our experience, we have found that it's better to play by the rules, especially in states as strict as California.
The following users liked this post:
cha7Li3 (02-06-18)