IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ISF Headers for California

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-11, 10:08 AM
ItsanF
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think everyone wishes there were a set of carb legal headers for ANY car in cali. It would definitely make car modding and tuning easier without the worry of a fat ticket for emissions.
Old 09-11-11, 10:32 AM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ItsanF
I think everyone wishes there were a set of carb legal headers for ANY car in cali. It would definitely make car modding and tuning easier without the worry of a fat ticket for emissions.
There have been in the past. for example Callaway made a set of shorty headers for C-4 and C-5 corvettes, the problem is they produced very little gain and as a result not too many were sold so they wound up discontinuing them. The problem with headers in Ca. is that CARB does not permit the Cat. to be moved or changed.
Old 09-11-11, 01:07 PM
meade916
Lead Lap

the header on my honda civic has a carb number.
Old 09-11-11, 02:16 PM
ItsanF
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really?? I cant tell if there is a bit of sarcasm or if your headers really are carb exempt? Most headers dont have insulation in them because they are high flowing...Correct me if I am wrong, but dont most aftermarket headers contain no catalytic converters?
Old 09-11-11, 04:40 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,847 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Really?? I cant tell if there is a bit of sarcasm or if your headers really are carb exempt? Most headers dont have insulation in them because they are high flowing...Correct me if I am wrong, but dont most aftermarket headers contain no catalytic converters?
Really. There are some CARB legal headers out there - it just depends on a lot of factors, mostly how many of them will they sell to recoup the cost of bribing the CARB guys to approve the design.
Old 09-11-11, 11:15 PM
Dv8tion388
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Preventative, is how I loop through the system. I bought a junk DC Honda header, cut the carb badge off and tacked it to a set of my custom headers on my race car when it was N/A. I then had it all Jet Hot coated black. I got pulled over many times, the couple of times they wanted to see the carb number I would just point to it. They would look at it and move on. Then theres the reflective lables I had professionally printed with real intake carb numbers and a fake brand for my many intakes....

Where theres will, theres a way.

~Dv8
Old 09-12-11, 07:25 AM
meade916
Lead Lap

no sarcasm here......it really does. And yes, i still have a Honda Civic in my fleet.
Old 12-29-16, 07:09 PM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

so what are ca guys doing about the headers and exhaust on check up? we just need a good shop?
Old 12-29-16, 07:25 PM
knshro13
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Typically, the ISF is just a plug-test-and-go, kind of testing. Unless they do a visual inspection or you have a CEL, you SHOULD be ok in California.
Old 12-29-16, 08:04 PM
TranV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by i3urton
so what are ca guys doing about the headers and exhaust on check up? we just need a good shop?
Just need a good shop....
Old 12-30-16, 12:19 AM
2008ISF
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default A few questions...

What will you guys do (that have headers and live in California) when California changes the smog laws again and your car has to get the tailpipe/sniffer test?

And does anyone know California emissions laws well? What is the legality of forcing someone to only buy stock manifolds from Toyota at $1200 a piece when I can be completely tailpipe compliant with headers and a good set of carb legal catalytic converters?

After working on many of Toyotas V8s and seeing their manifolds fail at the flange...why am I forced to rebuy a stock manifold with a poorly designed flange that is prone to fail again (whether I am trying to fix an exhaust leak, or fix a P0420-insufficient cat efficiency)?

Right now I have decision to make while replacing my starter; buy headers or not. Like the poster initially said, I don't want to constantly install/remove headers every time I am due for smog.

I would like like to get some intelligent responses instead of the usual 'pay someone some extra money under the table' or 'registering my car some where else'. Anyone?

Last edited by 2008ISF; 12-30-16 at 12:55 AM.
Old 12-30-16, 12:36 AM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 2008ISF
What will you guys do (that have headers and live in California) when California changes the smog laws again and your car has to get the tailpipe/sniffer test?

And does anyone know California emissions laws well? What is the legality of forcing someone to only buy stock manifolds from Toyota at $1200 a piece when I can be completely tailpipe compliant with headers and a good set of carb legal catalytic converters?

After working on many of Toyotas V8s and seeing their manifolds fail at the flange...why am I forced to rebuy a stock manifold with a poorly designed flange that is prone to fail again (whether I am trying to fix an exhaust leak, or fix a P0420-insufficient cat efficiency?

Right now I have decision to make while replacing my starter; buy headers or not. Like the poster initially said, I don't want to constantly install/remove headers every time I am due for smog.

I would like like to get some intelligent responses instead of the usual 'pay someone some extra money under the table' or 'registering my car some where else'. Anyone?
Sorry to make it worse but every dealer I've talked to has them priced at at least double $1200 apiece. I'm glad I don't have to worry about it but I have to agree with those who say go aftermarket and pay the right person to do your testing.
Old 12-30-16, 09:08 AM
jspecvtec
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 2008ISF
What will you guys do (that have headers and live in California) when California changes the smog laws again and your car has to get the tailpipe/sniffer test? And does anyone know California emissions laws well? What is the legality of forcing someone to only buy stock manifolds from Toyota at $1200 a piece when I can be completely tailpipe compliant with headers and a good set of carb legal catalytic converters? After working on many of Toyotas V8s and seeing their manifolds fail at the flange...why am I forced to rebuy a stock manifold with a poorly designed flange that is prone to fail again (whether I am trying to fix an exhaust leak, or fix a P0420-insufficient cat efficiency)? Right now I have decision to make while replacing my starter; buy headers or not. Like the poster initially said, I don't want to constantly install/remove headers every time I am due for smog. I would like like to get some intelligent responses instead of the usual 'pay someone some extra money under the table' or 'registering my car some where else'. Anyone?
There's no other option if sniffer is required. Put back to stock or pay shady shop. Shady shops r cheaper and easier. Less time and hassle
Old 12-30-16, 09:52 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,847 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Originally Posted by jspecvtec
There's no other option if sniffer is required. Put back to stock or pay shady shop. Shady shops r cheaper and easier. Less time and hassle
Until they get busted. Many do. That's why you rarely see the same guys giving an easy pass in Cali, and just another reason I left almost 10 years ago. Zero issues with GA smog checks. Piece of cake compared to Cali.

FWIW, my Supra was put on the Test Only list without ever failing a single inspection.
Old 12-30-16, 10:14 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Mr Benjamin will do anything for you

Quick Reply: ISF Headers for California