Spark Plug replacement DIY? 2008 ISF - Page 5 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > Lexus Model Forums > IS Models > IS F (2008-2014)
Spark Plug replacement DIY?  2008 ISF >

Spark Plug replacement DIY? 2008 ISF

Notices
IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Spark Plug replacement DIY? 2008 ISF

Old 03-21-17, 07:32 AM
Joker4096
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer View Post
Spade connections. Alligator clips are going to get hit by people working on the car and snap off. There's a silver colored male spade connection pointing straight up a little toward the firewall almost in the middle of the main fuse box. I connect a battery charger to this and another connection to ground (anywhere will do, if you have a ring terminal, all the better, just remove a bolt, put the ring terminal on the bolt and reattach). I kept power on my car for two weeks while intermittently working on the valve lash inspection. It held everything just fine.
Yea I had the same thought about the alligator clips. This is good to know for when I change the plugs soon.
Old 03-23-17, 09:21 PM
flowrider
Lexus Fanatic

Finally picked up my TT plugs today and as promised here are some pics. Only external; difference I can see is the thinner center electrode mount. The welds are better on the TT plug than the eBay OEM plug. And the center electrodes seem better aligned on the TT Plug. The Gap, as listed in the spec sheet, is also smaller on the TT Plug. The more I look at them, the more I believe the eBay plugs are counterfeit. I guess buyer beware, especially on eBay.

The left plug is the eBay plug the right the authentic TT plug I got from Advance Auto.

Lou
Attached Thumbnails Spark Plug replacement DIY?  2008 ISF-plug-1s.jpg   Spark Plug replacement DIY?  2008 ISF-plug-3s.jpg   Spark Plug replacement DIY?  2008 ISF-plug-5s.jpg  

Last edited by flowrider; 03-23-17 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-24-17, 09:12 PM
tronim
Rookie

Originally Posted by flowrider View Post
^^^^Well, Advance Auto just made up my mind for me. I put 8 of the plugs in my shopping cart, and let them sit while I posted here. Then, I got an eMail from Advance offering me a special 20% discount good for the next 72 hours. Final cost now $41.54 for all 8 plugs. So, I bought 'em
Thanks for the heads up as I was able to replicate this myself a few days ago!
Sadly I picked up a set of 'OEM' plugs from eBay myself a couple of years ago for around $40...only to learn now as I will soon hit the interval to change em' that these may be 'Counterfit' ... so these new ones from Advance should put me at ease.
Old 05-16-17, 07:24 AM
ageslurkin
Driver School Candidate

For those interested in what the dealership charges, quoted cost was approximately $350 (in Minnesota). Previous owner had it done at an independent in Texas, so not sure what his cost was but dealership quoted it to me since it wasn't in their Lexus service system.
Old 06-11-17, 05:17 AM
FNSSESPORT
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mikersoft View Post
What a PITA!
Obviously, it's not a very complicated task in and of itself. It's just very tedious & time consuming to figure out some of the access for the first time with that packed engine bay. Also, it would have helped if I'd gotten the shorter plug socket with integrated swivel extension. Craftsman makes them with a 6" or 12" extension..
I echo this statement! I just did this yesterday as some of you may have noticed from my "Help!" thread. I have changed the spark plugs on my IS250 twice now, and I thought that was a PITA because you have to remove the intake manifold. The IS-F was even a BIGGER PITA solely based on working space. I found the 6" integrated swivel magnetic socket advice was key, I think it helped tremendously.
I'm 99% confident on my spark plug torque, although I'm not sure how much a swivel and an extension affects torque, but I know all the plugs will at least be the same. I'm 0% confident on my coil bolt torque, I don't know what kind of set up you would have to use to be able to torque these properly?
It took me about 5 hours to get this job done, BUT I am probably slower than most because I'll clean up engine parts along the way. If I had to do it again tomorrow I would say I could get it done in half the time. I changed them at 105K kms (65K mi.). I think they look pretty much the same as the others that have been done at this interval:

Last thing, I've seen some threads regarding spark plug price, "Where you can get cheap plugs etc.". If you're going to do this yourself, just buy the plugs from Toyota. Trust me, you won't care about the $40 you saved after you get this done knowing you don't have to worry about whether the plugs or the vendor you got them from was legit. I don't think this is a job you want to have to do again unnecessarily. There are lots of things in the engine bay that like to scratch, bite and poke at you.
-R
Old 11-07-17, 12:42 PM
allst4risf
Pole Position

https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/
seem to have the best price any one get it cheaper than? 105?
Old 11-07-17, 01:23 PM
FSUpra
Driver School Candidate

Amazon has Denso 3473's for $12.41 each from True Blue Parts with free shipping. Total $99.28
The Following User Says Thank You to FSUpra For This Useful Post:
allst4risf (11-08-17)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spark Plug replacement DIY? 2008 ISF

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: