IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Wheel pitting on 08 ISF (with solution!)

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-12, 01:09 PM
CCColtsicehockey
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I currently use SONAX on my aftermarket wheels and it works great. I haven't tried it on my factory wheels yet and they look just like JB2009 wheels did. I will have to try it and report back. However on a regular basis SONAX works great for me. This IronX stuff might be more powerful though but I don't know as I have never used it.
Old 06-26-12, 03:57 PM
Jb2009
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spddemon
After you did the wheel clean up, do you feel that either paste or spray would do the job on there own? Do you prefer one over the other?
The paste in far superior, as it clings to the surface and dwells. No over spray with the paste! Remember to let it dwell for 10 min or so and do multiple applications to remove it all.

Last edited by Jb2009; 06-26-12 at 04:36 PM.
Old 06-26-12, 04:07 PM
Jb2009
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cremaster
those photos above look like my fronts. the previous owner obviously didn't take too good care of the car. i'm ordering this product as well, as nothing else has helped to remove the pitting.
These photos are from the fronts. I bought my car last year, and the wheels and paint were terrible. Definitely get the paste for the wheels!

After I did the wheels, I had the guys from AutoLavish recondition the paint back to its formal glory. They seen my wheels before and, even they were skeptical about if they could be brought back to their original condition.. They were shocked at end result. They made some great notes on the car too: Do you have a black IsF? It turns out it has a black tinted clearcoat and paint thicknesses of 200 microns, which is not the norm for a OEM paint job.

Few more after pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/matttro...th/7310396290/
Attached Thumbnails Wheel pitting on 08 ISF (with solution!)-img_0781.jpg   Wheel pitting on 08 ISF (with solution!)-img_0775.jpg   Wheel pitting on 08 ISF (with solution!)-img_0809.jpg  

Last edited by Jb2009; 06-26-12 at 06:41 PM.
Old 06-26-12, 04:15 PM
Jb2009
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by iH8RICERZ
Interesting read... didn't know this was referred to as "pitting". My wheels have a bad case of it so its time to look into this product or others that are on the market. I remember in a different thread people recommended using the SONAX wheel cleaner... does this stuff work at all?
Sonax will not remove all of the heavy break dust shown in my before pics. Only the IronX paste removed it.(Not a product to use for every wash). But now that the wheels are back to original condition, Sonax is the best wheel cleaner I have used for a general maintenance wash that is on the market. Pick up a small boars hair brush and a EZ detail wheel brush. Cleaning wheels has never been so easy now.

Last edited by Jb2009; 06-26-12 at 06:36 PM.
Old 06-26-12, 04:18 PM
Jb2009
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by WReuroR
I currently use SONAX on my aftermarket wheels and it works great. I haven't tried it on my factory wheels yet and they look just like JB2009 wheels did. I will have to try it and report back. However on a regular basis SONAX works great for me. This IronX stuff might be more powerful though but I don't know as I have never used it.
The IronX paste is a lot more concentrated than Sonax and will remove the embedded break dust particles. You only need to use it once to correct the wheels and now I just use Sonax each wash to maintain them.
Old 06-26-12, 04:51 PM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Jb2009
These photos are from the fronts. I bought my car last year, and the wheels and paint were terrible. Definitely get the paste for the wheels!

After I did the wheels, I had the guys from AutoLavish recondition the paint back to its formal glory. They seen my wheels before and, even they were skeptical about it they could be brought back to their original condition.. They were shocked at end result. They has made some great notes on the car: Do you have a black IsF? It turns out it has a black tinted clearcoat and paint thicknesses of 200 microns, which is not the norm for a OEM paint job.

Few more after pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/matttro...th/7310396290/
damn, i need to get my obsidian F detailed! haha ordered the gel/paste and passed up on the spray. figured the gel would be easier to spot treat w/o having the product go everywhere else, like onto the calipers and wheel weights. product has been shipped so can't wait. thanks for the recommendation!
Old 06-26-12, 05:30 PM
Jb2009
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cremaster
damn, i need to get my obsidian F detailed! haha ordered the gel/paste and passed up on the spray. figured the gel would be easier to spot treat w/o having the product go everywhere else, like onto the calipers and wheel weights. product has been shipped so can't wait. thanks for the recommendation!
Nice! Can't wait for another person to try it out! I am 100% sure it will work for if your wheels are like my before pics. I am still shocked and excited that it worked, since I had tried everything humanly possible! If you do get any on the wheel weights, they will get discolored, but once you hit them up with some degreaser it will remove the oxidation.

Good luck!

Last edited by Jb2009; 06-26-12 at 05:51 PM.
Old 06-26-12, 06:27 PM
Jb2009
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IsFast3r
This thread has scared me just a bit... cleaned the rims the other day and got the same problem with brake dust a little caked in. Used some mother's wheel cleaner and it got most of it out with a toothbrush too.. Is that going to be bad for the rim?
What year is your car? The most serious issues seem to be with 2008 IsF wheels, where the brake dust is baked into the small crevices of the wheels. The product is completely safe when used properly.
Old 06-26-12, 10:37 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Great tip!! I'll be ordering some soon!
Old 08-02-12, 05:12 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can I just use the IronX gel, let it sit for 5 min, and wipe off using a microfiber towel? Or do you recommend getting a wheel brush?
Old 08-03-12, 12:51 AM
2008ISF
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Ugh.

I got the same caked on brake dust. The previous owner did not know what he was doing, and did not take car of the car very well.

Time to buy some Iron X paste and post some before and after pictures.

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 08-03-12, 11:04 AM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

i ended up using it and it works great! repeated applications were necessary for more problematic areas, but it does remove it all!
Old 08-03-12, 11:10 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^ErDoc how did you do it? Did you apply the gel, leave it for a few mins, then wipe off? Did you use a brush?
Old 08-03-12, 12:30 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
^ErDoc how did you do it? Did you apply the gel, leave it for a few mins, then wipe off? Did you use a brush?
applied the gel.... waited a few min, then scrubbed using a wheel brush then rinse.... and repeat...
Old 08-03-12, 01:44 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
i recommend just using the microfiber and don't just use any brush, make sure its a wheel brush. the bristle might actually cause more damage to your wheel.

Quick Reply: Wheel pitting on 08 ISF (with solution!)