IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Wheel pitting on 08 ISF (with solution!)

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-11, 04:15 PM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheel pitting on 08 ISF (with solution!)

Ok guys, I recently pick up a 08 ISF with 19k miles, all 4 of my wheels has pitting issue and slightly discoloration. I took it to Longo Lexus this morning and just got a call from SA saying that it is pervious owner's fault using wrong cleaner to clean the wheels that cause it. Lexus will not cover that under warrenty.If anyone here have the same issue and got your wheels replace or repair under warrenty do you mind to tell me which dealer in so cal to took your car in? Longo is not offering any help at all. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-26-11, 05:11 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...l-pitting.html

I don't think Lexus is covering it. Could be seen as wear-and-tear. My advice is to either re-finish them, or keep them clean from now on to prevent further damage.
Old 05-26-11, 05:15 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

This has been covered A LOT here. do some searching. The pitting is from the break dust that is highly corrosive. The discoloration could be from etching from a wheel cleaner. Different dealers take different lines on this. Some have replaced wheels, some have offered to refinish wheels while others have just said "No" and tell you to clean your wheels often (daily). I suspect Lexus has instructed dealers to take a hard line on the wheels and not do warranty replacement or repair. Also it will just happen all over again with the same pads in place.

My dealer offered to look at them, cleaned them with acid (without asking me) and gave the car back "clean" most of the dusty, corrosion was removed, but of course you do not want to keep washing your wheels in acid.

Best solution right now is to get them as clean as you can and switch to a brake pad (aftermarket) that does not dust so much and is not corrosive.

That is the current consensus in a nutshell.
Old 05-26-11, 05:40 PM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

No it is not brake dust that doesn't come off, it is in the paint, like paint start to bubble from underneath. I already try to get it off there are no way they are coming out.

I think Lexus should cover it at least offer to repair it under warrenty.. their product is defective I don't see why not.. If I have some 500 buck knock off wheels I can understand I get what I paid for but an ISF with 19k..? oh well.. I'm going to take it to one more dealer see what they said if they refuse to do anything I'll just powder coat them myself
Old 05-27-11, 06:29 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try wheel touch up paint.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...om-sewell.html

I have wheel pitting as well, but it's very hard to notice unless you get real close. I'm probably going to get this to touch up some curb rash as well.
Old 05-27-11, 08:12 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by splitfire
No it is not brake dust that doesn't come off, it is in the paint, like paint start to bubble from underneath. I already try to get it off there are no way they are coming out.

I think Lexus should cover it at least offer to repair it under warrenty.. their product is defective I don't see why not.. If I have some 500 buck knock off wheels I can understand I get what I paid for but an ISF with 19k..? oh well.. I'm going to take it to one more dealer see what they said if they refuse to do anything I'll just powder coat them myself
Agreed. The clearcoat on some of the '08 wheels is at fault here. I had the same problem and my dealer, at least, offered to have the wheels refinished, which I did, and there were no problems after that. The mobile refinisher was able to do all four wheels in an afternoon and they've been fine ever since. The OEM pads, even though they are horrific dust generators, weren't causing the finish to corrode and I finally went with some after-market pads to resolve the dusting issue.

You may have to get beligerent with the SA in the waiting room, thereby scaring other waiting customers into leaving the area, but causing the dealership to offer some form of resolution. It's what I had to do.
Old 05-27-11, 09:12 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeifer3

You may have to get beligerent with the SA in the waiting room, thereby scaring other waiting customers into leaving the area, but causing the dealership to offer some form of resolution. It's what I had to do.
You might just be better off asking to speak to a service or shop manager. If you don't get a response call the Lexus 800 number. The dealers HATE with you get national involved as it makes them look bad and affects their rating.
Old 05-27-11, 10:16 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok guys, I recently pick up a 08 ISF with 19k miles, all 4 of my wheels has pitting issue and slightly discoloration. I took it to Longo Lexus this morning and just got a call from SA saying that it is pervious owner's fault using wrong cleaner to clean the wheels that cause it. Lexus will not cover that under warrenty.If anyone here have the same issue and got your wheels replace or repair under warrenty do you mind to tell me which dealer in so cal to took your car in? Longo is not offering any help at all. Thanks in advance.
How bad is it? Do you have pics of the wheels?
Old 05-27-11, 03:22 PM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

The paint is not coming off yet but it is definitly noticable, my car is still at the dealer I will be picking it up after work. I also call Lexus customer service and they will get back to me in 5 days, Lets see if Lexus's corporate is as "good" as BMW North America.
Old 05-30-11, 12:07 AM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

Got my car back the dealer say the pitting is cause by acid beside that I had them fix the rattle on the dash.. when I got my car back it had 17 extra miles on it the tech must be taking it easy on those 17 miles cause gas was way lower!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Wheel pitting on 08 ISF (with solution!)-wheel-defect.jpg  
Old 05-31-11, 05:13 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Sounds like you are out of luck on that part. If the previous owner didn't take care of the car...its considered negligence unfortunately. The wheel pitting is just the nature of any kind wheel, especially if its painted.

You do realize once an issue is logged into the system, another dealership will see the notes regarding the warranty concern. They are all on a national system so your service history can be pulled up by any Lexus dealer service dept.
Old 06-02-11, 05:23 PM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by flipside909
Sounds like you are out of luck on that part. If the previous owner didn't take care of the car...its considered negligence unfortunately. The wheel pitting is just the nature of any kind wheel, especially if its painted.

You do realize once an issue is logged into the system, another dealership will see the notes regarding the warranty concern. They are all on a national system so your service history can be pulled up by any Lexus dealer service dept.
Just got a call from Lexus corporate, the lady on the phone told me that they will not cover it and it wasn't a manufacture defect. I ask her hey just google it there are other ISF owners that has the same problem. I was told that Lexus is not aware of any other ISF owner has this problem execpt me Between me and my brother we currently have 8 Lexus and we own almost every single model in Lexus line up none of our car has wheels pitting and discoloration except my ISF I'm going to post pic here tonight when I get home. I'm 100% postive this is manufacture defect.
Old 06-19-11, 09:14 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

any updates?
Old 06-20-11, 12:16 AM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

Ok here is what happen, I had another dealer look at it foreman agree it is warrentyable issue and need to get district manager approve, well they come back saying Lexus will not warrenty it but will do a one time goodwill gesture to replace one wheel as non warrentyable gesture, I was like ok 1 is better than none. But unfortunately in order to get that Lexus to replace 1 wheel I would have to buy 3 at full retail of 19xx plus tax so I would have to pay like 6500 out of pocket so get 1 wheel replace by Lexus. I was so **** after i heard that. This is clearly manufacture defect and I knew pervious owner took good care of it, no curb on all 4 wheels with original tire plenty of tread left. But lexus say their it's owner fault on this issue. Bull*****.
Old 06-20-11, 07:22 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Has anyone been given consistent instructions on how to prevent this? Wax wheels? It's abnormal. Even if Lexus would replace any wheels, it's going to happen again, no?

Quick Reply: Wheel pitting on 08 ISF (with solution!)