Water Pump leaking

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-16, 11:32 AM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Chris,

That could be a significant coolant leak on the valley plate... I would say leaking for a while and exaggerated more by the track sessions.

Did you recently have the ELF work done?? Or not yet..??

If it's leaking from the valley plate, that means it's pooling at the top of the motor and dumping out of the rear when driving...

You should be able to lean over past the battery and flash a light down the back of the motor.. From there if you see pink on the lower firewall or top of trans., that will be your confirmation..

If not, that you can have a leaking coolant line for the interior heater or other..
Those two send & return lines are also right next to the battery and enter the firewall...

Let us know..

Joe Z
Welp, this happened to me. Took the car to Longo this morning and they confirmed I have a leak at the valley plate. My car is MY2011, but it sounds like this problem can happen to any car, and isn't isolated to a specific model year.

From my observations my coolant has always been slightly under the "Low" line in the reservoir. But this past weekend I had taken my car for a drive in the morning. Nothing odd, the water temp bar was at normal operating temps during the drive. I got home, let it sit for like 3 hours, and then went out to drive again. I noticed that while the oil temp bar was all the way down, the water temp bar was still at 75% of the normal operating temp (even after the car sat for a few hours). This triggered an alarm so I decided to check the radiator, water pump, etc. for leakage but didn't see any. I then decided to let the car sit overnight and add distilled water just to see what would happen. After a test drive I checked the reservoir and noticed that the coolant temp dropped even lower subsequent to the drive. Luckily I'm only at @67.5k miles and it'll be repaired under warranty.

I suggest everyone monitor your coolant levels (and water temp gauge) and check for leakage when you go for routine maintenance, especially if your powertrain warranty is close too expiration. I couldn't see any leakage based on the instructions that Joe mentioned, but apparently it was there.

Cheers to the great info provided in this thread.
Old 06-07-16, 08:45 PM
ISFmacio
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water pump needs replaced 11 days after I purchased...

Hey gang,

Just bought a beautiful 2008 IS-F 11 days ago that had been serviced it's entire life at the Lexus Dealer and lady driven (51k miles) and I took in for a routine oil change this weekend and found out the water pump was leaking - pink buildup similar to the other folks' pics). How can this happen at such low miles? Anyways, I have an appointment at the Lexus Service Department on Monday and hopefully they will work with me. I called Lexus Corp and they couldn't do anything until I had it inspected by Lexus.

Anyone else have this experience with Lexus and have advice? I'd hate to pay $700 for this with such low miles and after just purchasing it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-07-16, 09:43 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFmacio
Hey gang,

Just bought a beautiful 2008 IS-F 11 days ago that had been serviced it's entire life at the Lexus Dealer and lady driven (51k miles) and I took in for a routine oil change this weekend and found out the water pump was leaking - pink buildup similar to the other folks' pics). How can this happen at such low miles? Anyways, I have an appointment at the Lexus Service Department on Monday and hopefully they will work with me. I called Lexus Corp and they couldn't do anything until I had it inspected by Lexus.

Anyone else have this experience with Lexus and have advice? I'd hate to pay $700 for this with such low miles and after just purchasing it.

Thanks in advance.
2008 ISF are known for water pump issue.
Old 06-07-16, 10:02 PM
ISFmacio
10th Gear

Default ?

@MWIS350 - so what do you do?
Old 06-08-16, 12:21 AM
Durrby
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFmacio
How can this happen at such low miles?
My '08 had 36k miles on it when I bought it back in October and it was already leaking. Luckily I purchased an aftermarket warranty when I bought the car so I was only responsible for the deductible when my local Lexus dealership did the work. Like others stated it's a common issue on the '08's and there's no rhyme or reason to when it'll start leaking.
Old 06-09-16, 08:53 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

My 08 started leaking and my aftermarket Carchex extended warranty covered the replacement with an aftermarket part, I spent the 80$ extra to have them upgrade to the fixed OEM part, my total cost was 180$.
Old 06-13-16, 10:47 PM
ISFmacio
10th Gear

Well my story now comes with a happy ending. I logged a complaint at Lexus Corp and my awesome service advisor was able to bet approval to replace the water pump free of charge! I highly recommend calling Lexus directly and logging a complaint and then work with your Lexus Service Advisor to get approval for a free fix. Job well done, Lexus!
Old 07-26-16, 11:56 AM
calteg
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts

Anyone know equivalent coolant to the OEM "Lexus super ultra long life coolant" that dealerships sell?
Old 07-26-16, 12:05 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Buy SLLC at Toyota. It's cheaper and it works. There are some who claim to be equivalent, but I haven't seen one that truly is at a significant price difference.
Old 01-15-18, 10:36 PM
jpisf
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thank you for this