IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS F as daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-10, 05:44 PM
Bobisf
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IS F as daily driver

Hi everyone,I'm new to this forum and this is my first post.I have been reading and following this forum.I must say that I am very impressed with everyone's knowledge and opinions.Presently I own a gs400 but want to purchase a new car.I am having a hard time deciding between the 2011 IS F,Audi S4( even though it is a V6) and M3.I have test driven all three. M3 is at the bottom of my list. So it is between S4 and IS F. The sound of the F engine is sweeeet and the handling and accel is amazing. It also feels more luxurious.
The S4 is roomier,AWD and appears more practical,
My question is for all those who own 2011 ISF... how does it drive in town,on bumps and is the suspension really hard in daily driving? What other cars did you consider and why did you end up selecting the ISF?

Thanks much for any input.
Old 12-15-10, 07:19 PM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobisf
Hi everyone,I'm new to this forum and this is my first post.I have been reading and following this forum.I must say that I am very impressed with everyone's knowledge and opinions.Presently I own a gs400 but want to purchase a new car.I am having a hard time deciding between the 2011 IS F,Audi S4( even though it is a V6) and M3.I have test driven all three. M3 is at the bottom of my list. So it is between S4 and IS F. The sound of the F engine is sweeeet and the handling and accel is amazing. It also feels more luxurious.
The S4 is roomier,AWD and appears more practical,
My question is for all those who own 2011 ISF... how does it drive in town,on bumps and is the suspension really hard in daily driving? What other cars did you consider and why did you end up selecting the ISF?

Thanks much for any input.
Hey Bobisf, I have 2011 IS-F it's my daily driver and I commute from Westchester county to NYC Mon-Fri and if you don't know roads in NYC are not the greatest. I find the ride to be firm but not harsh at all, compared to other cars I've owned with aftermarket suspension I find this one to be firm but compliant over the bumps, uneven roads, etc. And if you find your self stuck in stop and go traffic just throw it into auto and enjoy your ride, and once traffic clears put it into Manuel sport mode and hit those paddles and hang on.

Other cars I consider M3 and C63, first C63 nice car great power off line it's a beast but wasn't feeling the car just did get me excited. Next M3 love the look and handling of coupe, if I didn't need four doors I may have chosen it, and M3 sedan to me looks to much like standard 3 series with 19" rims and new hood plus the fact that you are still seeing issue with brand new M3, yes they have resolved many of problems with DCT system but they are still having issues with M3's, not as many as before and quality has inproved but for the kind of money people are paying for this car they should not be experencing these types of problem, just check any BMW forum.

Here is why I choose IS-F , looks, whether from front, side or back you will not mistake it for standard IS, power what can I say, sound fantastic, quality it's Lexus. The Is-f is also rare I have only seen two on the road in two years unlike M3 I see one everyday and in summer time two or three times day. Last Friday night on my way to pick up my wife from her company Christmas party I notice someone tail getting me so I and move to right to see what this guy is up to; and what rolls up it's a GTR now I seen 5 so far on street the guy was cool he apologizes for tail getting me but told me he had never seen IS-F on the street and wanted to check the car out so we both pull over he checked my car while I checked his GTR that car is sick, fun experience. The reaction I have received from most people that are into cars and know what IS-F is typically go's something like this "wow first time ever seeing one in person"or "this second time I've seen one, cool car" or "your car is super rare look even better in person" you get what I means it's alot fun. Well I hope this helps good luck with your choice.
Old 12-15-10, 07:32 PM
PHXF
Driver

I also daily my F...I admit it took me a little while to get used to the stiffness; now it doesn't both me at all, and it is well worth the performance it provides.
The best part of the F is the flexibility; like was said above, you can drive like a granny in auto or drive like hooligan; either way the F excels.
Old 12-15-10, 08:08 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

I believe the 2011's have a more forgiving suspension than the 08, 09 and 10's. I daily drive my 2008 but the roads where I live are fairly well maintained even during winter.
Old 12-15-10, 09:02 PM
Bobisf
Rookie

Thanks everybody esp davcrz5. This really helps.I also thought I might share this.I have read all the reports of the "fake" quad exhausts and the unjustified flak that the IS F has received.

http://lexusenthusiast.com/2007/11/0...quad-exhausts/

I will keep you posted on my decision.Plan to test drive again .
Old 12-16-10, 12:54 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 532 Likes on 281 Posts

Thanks everybody esp davcrz5. This really helps.I also thought I might share this.I have read all the reports of the "fake" quad exhausts and the unjustified flak that the IS F has received.

We've covered this many times here on CL, here's a search string of the same topic that i've answered to over the years. They are NOT connected. The article you linked above is completely wrong.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sea...archid=5864427

Here's my actual account:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/3115322-post35.html

Originally posted: 12-10-07, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by flipside909
Here's more proof they are NOT connected. I took these photos on 10/26/07 after the Press Event @ Carmel, right as they were being loaded on the transporter en route to SEMA in Las Vegas shortly there after.

See the shield with brackets holding it in place...
Old 12-16-10, 03:57 AM
KonaMan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After having danced with a few cars built in the fatherland throughout my years of driving (VW's, a 914, and an A4) I would throw my vote to the F car.... I've had my 2010 since March and have zero issues (other than the dealership can't seem to put the correct amount of oil in it during a routine oil change, but I digress). My experience suggests that German cars break often and are costly to fix.

My ISF is my third IS car... 2006 350 (carjacked/totalled), replaced by 2009 350 until dealer called and made me an offer on the F car I couldn't refuse. If you are looking for a great high performance sedan that, so far, has proven to be virtually bullet proof, that you won't seen yourself coming and going in at every intersection the F car is a no brainer.

Yeah, it rides like a street legal race car but... hell, it is a street legal race car. Sure, it gives up a few tenths of a second on the track to the BMW but who cares? You'll have a great car and if tradition holds true, you won't be on a first name basis with your service advisor. Your talking to a biased crowd here but I vote Lexus.
Old 12-16-10, 10:43 AM
SCCAForums
Driver

IS-F FTW! I've had the E90 M3, E60M5, Shelby GT500, all for DD cars... I was between the C63 & ISF... (Sorry... Audi is just COMPLETE CRAP... go to a service bay for confirmation).

ISF just does everything without the 'BLING' status that the C63 could have brought. And I like 20+MPG on an 14 mile City commute every day. Not to mention, Never visiting the dealership, makes it a no brainer.

Good luck with your decision!
Dave
Old 12-16-10, 02:31 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,879 Likes on 2,354 Posts

I DD my F and I've spent 3 weekends at the track. I've only had to deal with brake pads - no other major issues even after flogging the car. I even got 30k out of the OEM rear tires. Sure they do tend to have alignment problems from the factory, but they're easily fixed. I have no complaints with the F even as I hit my 2 year mark this week at 42k miles.
Old 12-16-10, 04:17 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,059 Likes on 586 Posts
Arrow

Than I have read all the reports of the "fake" quad exhausts and the unjustified flak that the IS F has received.

Hi Bob... Welcome!!!

Look at it this way...

The Exhaust Tips are indeed connected to the mufflers..

While the Quad Exhuast Diffusers are connected to the bumper.

Joe Z
Old 12-16-10, 05:13 PM
verals05
Lead Lap

I love my ISF. Not issues. Coming to about 53K now. I drive mine about 10

80 miles a day with my commute to work.
Old 12-16-10, 10:51 PM
KI_GSE21
Lead Lap

I have to agree that Lexus is very low maintenance and you only gotta do the brakes and oil change. Nothing else major like BMW and Mercedes. Peace of mind =)
Old 12-16-10, 11:14 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

the suspension was revised for the 2011 model, but i changed my 08 F to coilovers, and it rides smoothly now. there is driver feedback from the road, but not like the stock suspension. as far as the quad exhaust tips, i like it not because i have the car myself, but rather it's unique. though it's not the "norm," i think that's what separates the F from other high performing luxury sedans. my car's not really a daily driver, nor is it a weekend rider, but i do take her out and it's always performed well. tight corners, fast upshifts, and the well balanced overall. best of all, very little maintenance required. and definitely will not be seeing a service bay, in comparison to its counterparts.
Old 12-16-10, 11:51 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 532 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by KI_GSE21
I have to agree that Lexus is very low maintenance and you only gotta do the brakes and oil change. Nothing else major like BMW and Mercedes. Peace of mind =)
Low maintenance yes, cost of parts and materials...that's a different story. You have nearly 10 quarts to fill in the 2UR-GSE 5.0L V8 and brake pads and rotors for the F are not cheap. Those are just some factors to think of with owning an F.
Old 12-17-10, 01:52 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

The only reason anybody would ever care about the unconnected exhaust and tips is because they cared about what other people thought. I personally think you should take a trip to Lexus and take her for a spin, if you love it, then you love it.

Quick Reply: IS F as daily driver