IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Continental Extreme DW

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-10, 10:53 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks for the research, Lou! I'm beginning to think either my torque has increased or my tires are starting to wear b/c when I punch it coming out of U-turns and such, I'm getting some waggle when shifting into 2nd and 3rd. I'm guessing the tires, so your notes are great. Thanks!
Old 12-07-10, 11:12 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

^^^
okay, so it's my rear right tire. It is considerably more bald than my rear left. Dang it. Would it be okay to swap the back tires for a while, or would it screw up my alignment and handling?
Old 12-07-10, 12:46 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

^^^^Swaping rear stock tires is fine, just note that there is an inside and an outside for the stock tires. This is due to the tire's asymmetric tread design. Since you have an '08, your wheels are position specific. That is all the wheels are different from each other. The rears are both 9" wide, but have a different design from each other. Which means you could swap the wheel and tire assembly, left to right, but then your wheels would be mounted in the wrong positions. I am attaching a small PDF file that explains the differences is the wheels.

Also, are you really sure you want to be driving around on worn tires?

Lou
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
IS-F Wheels.pdf (442.7 KB, 501 views)
Old 12-07-10, 05:42 PM
melbitoast
Instructor

I didn't know it was worn until yesterday. I had not really checked them before, and I just started experiencing the fish-tailing this past weekend. I like the car too much to let it ride very long.
Old 12-17-10, 09:37 PM
Aberdeen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Tire Info

First post so apologies for any missteps!

I wore out the stock Michelins this fall and wanted to put the Continental DWS on but they would not be available until April. Although I had not put A/S tires on a car as far back as I could remember I knew I would have to drive the F in winter and we do get the odd bit of light snow here in SW Canada. (Seriously, not much)

I put on Yokohama Avid Envigor W's at the recommendation of the tire shop that has been good in the past. Due to size issues he recommended rears slightly narrower than stock. I was hesitant but went ahead. To no one's surprise I'm sure, I have had trouble getting the power down without spinning in wet weather. Went back to the shop and they will give a full refund.

Michelin PS A/S Plus are going on Monday, 245/35/19 fronts, 285/30/19 rears. I note that one person has run this set up without rubbing. The sizes look like they should work in diameter but I can't tell on the width.

If there are any known issues with this size on stock rims can you please let me know before Monday?

Providing I don't hear any negative feedback, I will have them installed and post an update after.

Thanks to all for the good info on the forum.
Old 12-18-10, 08:43 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^As my first post says, I've been running them without issue since August. IMO my F handles better and has better traction. And, looks a lot better There has been absolutely no downside with those sizes in the Continental Tire. It doesn't rain much here in AZ, but last thursday, I was unlucky enough to be caught in a downpour, my first experience with rain since I installed the Continentals, and they handled with aplomb. They longer I have 'em the more I like 'em

I have no experience with the tire you have chosen. It appears that this may be a new tire as it is not in Tire Racks overall owner's reviews yet, however I have attached some owner's reviews here:

http://www.tirerack.com/survey/Surve...irePageLocQty=

They look pretty good.

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 12-18-10 at 12:27 PM.
Old 12-18-10, 09:57 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

^^ I'm with you Lou.... I've been rocking the Conti DW's since the end of Sept.

They handle Great so far in the Dry and perform very well in the Wet as well...!!!

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 12-18-10 at 10:03 AM.
Old 12-18-10, 07:15 PM
Aberdeen
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks Guys

Lou, I had read your post, just wanted to make sure nothing had changed. Sounds all good. I'm really looking forward to the change. Unlike you, it rains here pretty steady from November to February. We need to take breaks to the desert to dry out

I too would love to get the Continental DWS but can't wait until April for delivery. I'll let you know how the Michelin's work out.

Cheers,

David
Old 12-18-10, 07:51 PM
SCCAForums
Driver

I chose the Hankook Evo 12's... almost half the price, and seem to have some rave reviews. I had a friend who did a track day on them, and they felt as good as any PS2 i've ran, which to me is the 'bench'.

Peace,
Dave
Old 12-18-10, 08:32 PM
ISFSteve
Lead Lap

I just installed Conti's Extreme DWS's in 245/35/19 and 285/30/19's and they look great. They ride a bit softer than the stock Michelins. The 285's give absolutely no hint of squeezing the tire. I had to wait for the 245's as they were on national B/O.
Old 12-20-10, 02:18 PM
Fitment Factory
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Continental Extreme Contact

Our customers love these tires.
Old 12-21-10, 09:33 PM
Aberdeen
Driver School Candidate

Would have loved the Continentals too but waiting until April kinda defeats the whole purpose of all season tires so I sprung for the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus, 245/35/19 front and 285/30/19 rear. Had them on Monday afternoon and put about 125 miiles on today. No issues whatsoever with installation or fitment and they look great. My initial feel is they are a little softer than the stock Michelins. That may be the all season factor or simply that they have more rubber on them than the ones that came off.

Thank you to all the previous posters (especially Lou) who offered information and advice on tire sizing. Very much appreciated.

David
Old 12-22-10, 07:05 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^You're welcome. I'm everything worked out well for you.

Lou
Old 12-26-10, 05:03 AM
s6 4rings
Lead Lap

My DW's on my IS made the car shimmy. put new PS2's back on, no more shimmy at low speeds.
Old 12-26-10, 10:50 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^Sounds like a balance issue not a tire problem.

Lou

Quick Reply: Continental Extreme DW