IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Narrowing Down Tires...

Old 01-12-10, 03:58 PM
verals05
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
Did the OP finally pick up some new tires? What did you go with?
245/35/19 and 275/30/19 Toyo T1r's

So far after my trip to Savannah and back... I've put a lil bit over 800 miles on the tires and they are pretty responsive!

They grip very well and there is less understeer... When I point the car in a direction it makes it there much faster and with less effort required.

I think the ideal tire size for our cars are deff these specs...
Old 02-01-10, 09:58 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

For those curious how the 245s and 275s look on the stock rims.

http://www.lexusfforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2242
Old 02-02-10, 09:48 AM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gymkata
For those curious how the 245s and 275s look on the stock rims.

http://www.lexusfforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2242
They look great on your car, thanks for the pics.
Old 02-02-10, 02:14 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

I love my Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires. Spending a lot of time on the track at Laguna Seca and Auto Club Speedway in Fontana on several track days from ISF Press Day, ISF Sneak Preview Days and the Lexus Performance Driving Schools, the PS2's speak for themselves. Yes some may think it's marketing hype, but i'm a firm believer that Michelin (and Bridgestone) spent countless hours developing tires specific to Lexus' specs. As lobuxracer pointed out previously, these tires are engineered to extrapolate the best balance of performance and comfort. I know the oem Potenza RE050A's although a great tire, are not up to par with Michelin in terms of ride and performance. I would actually overlook the Potenzas and go with a different brand. The PS2's perform well with the ISF and it's proven.

Now as far as cheaper alternatives, you will always find a good selection of tires and brands. I prefer to stick with reputable names like Toyo such. Even the Korean makes are not to miss either. Vredestein and many of these "Made in China" tires are popping up all over the place. It's evident in the last 3 SEMA's that they made a presence. Sure they may be cheaper in price, but I wouldn't trust subpar quality tires as replacements.
Old 02-02-10, 02:16 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

I forgot to mention, has anyone considered going with Ultra High Performance All Seasons like the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S?
Old 02-02-10, 02:19 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
I love my Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires. Spending a lot of time on the track at Laguna Seca and Auto Club Speedway in Fontana on several track days from ISF Press Day, ISF Sneak Preview Days and the Lexus Performance Driving Schools, the PS2's speak for themselves. Yes some may think it's marketing hype, but i'm a firm believer that Michelin (and Bridgestone) spent countless hours developing tires specific to Lexus' specs. As lobuxracer pointed out previously, these tires are engineered to extrapolate the best balance of performance and comfort. I know the oem Potenza RE050A's although a great tire, are not up to par with Michelin in terms of ride and performance. I would actually overlook the Potenzas and go with a different brand. The PS2's perform well with the ISF and it's proven.

Now as far as cheaper alternatives, you will always find a good selection of tires and brands. I prefer to stick with reputable names like Toyo such. Even the Korean makes are not to miss either. Vredestein and many of these "Made in China" tires are popping up all over the place. It's evident in the last 3 SEMA's that they made a presence. Sure they may be cheaper in price, but I wouldn't trust subpar quality tires as replacements.
i too am happy with my ps2's. the only downside, as you mentioned earlier, is the cost of replacement. i too dont trust subpar quality, especially considering the performance this car has packing. i have maybe three months before i need new tires, so for awhile now, ive been checking prices and quotes from various vendors. the ONLY alternative ive seen aside from the michelins would be the toyo T1R. the ride quality is exceptional, and definitely not loud as others have mentioned before.
Old 02-02-10, 02:32 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I forgot to mention, has anyone considered going with Ultra High Performance All Seasons like the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S?
Check out my link three posts before yours. I have Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires on my stock rims. They have served me very well so far this winter.
Old 02-02-10, 11:29 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Vredestein and many of these "Made in China" tires are popping up all over the place. It's evident in the last 3 SEMA's that they made a presence. Sure they may be cheaper in price, but I wouldn't trust subpar quality tires as replacements.
I thought Vredestein were Dutch and have been making tires for the European market for over 75 years. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vredestein

According to the above article they are manufactured in Enschede, The Netherlands

Last edited by UCrazyKid; 02-02-10 at 11:35 PM.
Old 02-03-10, 08:48 AM
verals05
Lead Lap

Vredestein is Dutch... There are many performance car's running these without any problems.

I first heard of these from the bimmer forums... They run them on their M3's and M5's... with no problems what so ever.

I'm going to jump on these next go around!
Old 02-03-10, 10:00 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,836 Likes on 2,325 Posts

Originally Posted by verals05
Vredestein is Dutch... There are many performance car's running these without any problems.

I first heard of these from the bimmer forums... They run them on their M3's and M5's... with no problems what so ever.

I'm going to jump on these next go around!
They've been known for bicycle tires for quite some time.
Old 02-03-10, 02:39 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Corvette and SRT8 forums seem to like the Vredestein as well. I pulled the trigger last year and couldn't be happier, great tire!
Old 02-05-10, 09:59 AM
maxnix
Driver

Lightbulb You Get For Which You Pay!

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
I know that Lexus and Michelin say this is the case. But, in my own mind, I find this very hard to believe. The rubber compound and all the engineering that went into the design of the PS2, really makes it difficult for me to believe that there are differences in the tires assigned to each make of automobile. I believe this is more PR by both companies.
And you would be WRONG!

Had a friend with a BMW 540i Sport that went to NTB and although they kept putting the correct size Michelin on it, it would never wear well. Young kid looked at the sidewall (how many of pesent readers read the sidewall and check dates of manufacture and plant location?) and noted it was not the specific tire Michelin designed for the 540i Sport suspension.

Replaced with OEM specified Michelin tire and all was smooth from thereon.

As Lobux noted, Vredestein is primarily a bicycle tire manufacturer. I gave up on them in the 70's because their tires were not very uniform.

Weight to balance a tire is a a good indication of it's uniformity quality. Few will spin their wheels after say 30K miiles to ensure they still meet liberal OEM specifications for lateral and radial runout and balance.

There are basically 3 Tier 1 tire manufacturers in the world: Michelin, Pirelli, and Bridgestone. For an indication of technological prowess, all one has to do is observe which manufacturers are supplying product in top international racing classifications. This is also true for wheel manufacturers also. And no, drifiting is an exhibition, not a sport.

Every other tire manufacturer is a generation or two at least behind these top three. Not saying you can't get a good cheap roller from them, just saying the top tires from the top three are technologically superior to any tire from any other non Tier 1 brand.

A lot of car owners like cheap tires to shred, like Corvette owners or autocrossers. Hence their recommendations for Kumhos, Hankooks, Falkens, etc. One has to comprehend the perspective of various users, and with what level of product they are accustomed and for which use they intend it. Track is a lot different from real world street driving.

In short, the tires are the only part of the car normally in touch with the road. Skimp here, and nothing else matters for braking, handling, or safety if you run on less than oprimal tires expecially cheaply made (some of which are still expensive!) heavy and weak wheels. Don't get me started on the extra rotational and unprung mass represented by spacers! Get the correctly sized and specified wheel (which meet minimal OEM specifications) or save until you can afford them.
Old 02-05-10, 08:20 PM
verals05
Lead Lap

I agree^^^^

I don't know if the Vredsteins are better than the PS2's, T1R's, or Bridgestones.

But what I do know is they are close. Most people are really just buying these tires because they are the best bang for their buck....

Its an economical tire compared to the Tier 1 tires... So many feel they are getting more for their money...

Our F's are made to perform on PS2's, but many people including me feel its a bit rough to shell out $1500-$1600 for a set of tires that will last us.... 20K-25K miles (aprox).

So of course we are going to go for the Vredsteins ($800-$900 pair). You might not get performance as great as the PS2's.

Many people on the forum I noticed are looking for tires for everyday street driving or for daily driving, while being reasonably priced.

Last edited by verals05; 02-05-10 at 08:23 PM.
Old 02-05-10, 09:54 PM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have done quite a bit of research on Vredstein tires, and from what I have read they have very good reviews, and I think I may go that way on my F. I have attached just a few of the reviews, take a look at some of them, you will find some good information.

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/...d.php?p=860257

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-z...out-these.html

http://www.my350z.com/forum/wheels-a...-review-5.html

http://myg37.com/forums/wheels-and-t...ock-tires.html

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268043
Old 02-06-10, 11:37 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most people (if not all) running on Vredstein tires are not in stock wheel or tire sizes, so you can't compare the custom made IS-F PS2 or Bridgestone to the Vredstein.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Narrowing Down Tires...