IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Winter storage?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-09, 02:34 AM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Winter storage?

Okay it's time to put DA BEAST away for winter hibernation... I've put it off as long as I could now. Anything special I need to do for this car?

I was just going to use up most of the existing gas, park it, and disconnect the battery... the usual fare.

I suppose I'm going to have to pop out the mechanical key cover in order to lock (and eventually unlock) the car, since obviously the smartkey won't work with the battery disconnected... Anything else to consider?

Thanks guys... I'll be longing for that V8 roar for the next 3-4 months!
Old 12-03-09, 04:59 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IceIridium
Okay it's time to put DA BEAST away for winter hibernation... I've put it off as long as I could now. Anything special I need to do for this car?

I was just going to use up most of the existing gas, park it, and disconnect the battery... the usual fare.

I suppose I'm going to have to pop out the mechanical key cover in order to lock (and eventually unlock) the car, since obviously the smartkey won't work with the battery disconnected... Anything else to consider?

Thanks guys... I'll be longing for that V8 roar for the next 3-4 months!
Actually you really want the fuel tank full to help prevent condensation from forming in the fuel tank. If this were my car I may add a bit of fuel stabilizer to it and run it for a bit before I shut it down for the winter. I would also add a battery tender style device to it if the vehicle is stored inside, this will keep the battery fully charged and prevent all the hassles associated with a dead battery come spring. One other thing I recommend to our customers whom store their cars for the winter is to get the car off the ground if possible. This has a twofold bonus, one is that you keep the tires from flat spotting from sitting in the same place for months on end, two is that you help keep them little critters from getting into the vehicle and causing some VERY expensive damage! Hope this helps...
Old 12-03-09, 08:10 AM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ming15237
Actually you really want the fuel tank full to help prevent condensation from forming in the fuel tank. If this were my car I may add a bit of fuel stabilizer to it and run it for a bit before I shut it down for the winter. I would also add a battery tender style device to it if the vehicle is stored inside, this will keep the battery fully charged and prevent all the hassles associated with a dead battery come spring. One other thing I recommend to our customers whom store their cars for the winter is to get the car off the ground if possible. This has a twofold bonus, one is that you keep the tires from flat spotting from sitting in the same place for months on end, two is that you help keep them little critters from getting into the vehicle and causing some VERY expensive damage! Hope this helps...
good advice! i always use my battery tender! also what does the fuel stablizer do? thanks in advance
Old 12-04-09, 01:25 PM
nol300
Driver School Candidate

Battery tender is a great tool I have 3 of them.
Old 12-04-09, 02:29 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 142 Likes on 73 Posts

Fuel stabilizer will keep the fuel from losing its volatile components which will make it good when you go to start it next season. I would also change the oil since you will get some chemical break down over the dormant period as well and fresh oil will be more or less ph neutral over the winter. The flat spotting advice is good as well...

Fig
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 12-07-09, 10:12 PM
AU_EE
Rookie

Fuel stabilizer is critical if storing any engine for more than maybe two months... the fuel degrades to varnish and can thicken and become gum like. This is probably the #1 problem most homeowners have with small engine stuff like mowers, chainsaws, etc. - they leave fuel in them over winter etc. For those items it's usually easier to just run them dry...
Old 12-08-09, 03:50 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Put it on blocks?

I've always stored my cars on blocks (jack stands) to keep the tyres from developing flat spots that take many miles of driving to work themselves out and prevent dry rot that can occur when rubber is in constant contact with concrete. The battery tender and a full tank of fuel with gas stabilizer are "de rigeur" as well.