IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Alignment problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-09, 12:52 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Alignment problem

ok yesterday i brought in my car for inspection cause a warning came up on the navi for the air filter and the car felt was not in balance. one side would be more bumpy then the other side and it would lean on the passenger side. i told them to check it out. the result 3 alignments and the car is still pulling right. they said they can't get the alignment right and will hold the car to find the problem and fix it. its been a day and next week i go to cali. should i take the car back or let them resolve it? also is it normal for the car to pull right?

Last edited by Evil Teo; 10-29-09 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-29-09, 01:13 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

the car is stock on stock wheels by the way.
Old 10-29-09, 01:17 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

No, it's not normal to pull right (or left). There's probably a bad tire on the car. Are the front tires the same age, or was one replaced with a new one at some time?
Old 10-29-09, 01:53 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Depending on the manufacture date of your car, there is a fox for it by replacing some caster blocks in the front suspension to alleviate a pull to the right. I had it done on my car and it fixed it right up. See the copied posts below and refer to the part numbers at the bottom when you go to the dealer again.

http://www.lexusf.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1531

Alignment problem. Dealer replacing LH/RH bracket.
Wow it's been so long since I've been on here! Just to update, I've been F-less since last Friday. I originally brought the car in that day because apparently I've had a nail in the RR tire that has been causing my air pressure in that tire to drop. It's hard to notice since the rear of the car, even at stock height, hides the tread well. It was the 2nd time the TPMS went off in 2 weeks so I figured there has to be something wrong and low and behold I lift the car and rotate the tire manually and see a nail in the tread.

While I was there, I went ahead and mentioned my alignment problem. The car always is leaning to the right. I confirmed that on many different roads. I had the alignment checked and done last month when I last visited for the "1k service". I again mentioned the alignment problem and they checked it out again. The tech tried several times to fix it and could not get it to spec. Finally, he looked online at the Lexus tech site and found in the flowchart to replace some parts with some updated versions to see if this will solve the problem. So here I am still waiting for the car tooling around in a loaner IS250. Dam I miss the F! Been spoiled by the power and features.

Anyway, once I get the car back I'll post details on what parts exactly were replaced. The parts are on backorder since they are pretty rare to make. I was just told they were LH/RH brackets. Nothing specific unfortunately. I'm hoping to have the F back by the end of the week.

No, I stayed clear away from potholes and such. It's an updated part. It's not even a TSB. My car was an earlier build. #299 to be exact. This part replacement is a last ditch effort as discussed in the troubleshoot flowchart.

Finally got my baby back today! Wow I really missed the F. First thing I did driving back home on the freeway onramp was to floor it. Oh how I missed the power. Wheel spin galore but the TC put an end to that haha.

Anyway, the tire is plugged and the updated parts are in and the car tracks straight now. The parts are listed as "Bracket Sub-Assy" 48075-53020 & 48075-53030. The job would have cost ~$350 outside of warrant

Last edited by UCrazyKid; 10-29-09 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-29-09, 01:56 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

^^not exactly. The part isn't "updated." Lexus manufactured a range of parts to allow for individual variances in build to be corrected. There are a small range of parts available to correct the issue. However, if the car just started doing this, it's not alignment, its a bad tire.
Old 10-29-09, 02:09 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

It could be a bad tire, but after 3 dealer alignments I would think they would have spotted that already. One of the very first things their alignment protocol calls for is to cross rotate the front tires and see if the pull switches sides or goes away. If it didn't I'll bet dollars for donuts it is something else. My car pulled from the very beginning but the original owner didn't even notice it, to me it was obvious, the fix I posted above took care of it immediately. When my car was in the brackets were on backorder making me think the problem is not that uncommon.
Old 10-29-09, 02:51 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
It could be a bad tire, but after 3 dealer alignments I would think they would have spotted that already. One of the very first things their alignment protocol calls for is to cross rotate the front tires and see if the pull switches sides or goes away. If it didn't I'll bet dollars for donuts it is something else. My car pulled from the very beginning but the original owner didn't even notice it, to me it was obvious, the fix I posted above took care of it immediately. When my car was in the brackets were on backorder making me think the problem is not that uncommon.
Not exactly. They were on backorder because they didn't make a lot of them. This problem has been building since 2006, and they're just getting parts in the system to address it in 2009.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 10-29-09 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-29-09, 10:10 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

wow thanx guys. there was one tire that had a nail but it was plugged right away. i dont think its the tires. everything looks good. i got it back today and it seems good but it still pulls right. i will have to check it back with the tech when i come back from cali. i'll print this out.