Ferodo Brake Pad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-09, 10:50 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Ferodo Brake Pad?

Hi Guys,
It's getting that time to change out the front brake pads on the F. I've read a lot of feedback on the Hawk pads (Ceramic, HPS) and just don't like the feel of them...I had them on my Supra and didn't like them. I like the way the stock IS-F pads feel, the initial bite, and performance. But as everyone, HATE all the brake dust. I haven't seen very much feedback about the Ferodo DS2500 pads. If anyone has these or tried these on their IS-F, please let me know how you like them. How is the initial bite and pedal feel? Also, is there less brake dust, or about the same as stock. I would rather deal with dusty wheels rather than give up the initial bite and performace. Thanks for any input...Darshana S...
Old 10-01-09, 11:16 PM
chrisburke
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmm... no feed back on those.... i can give you my feed back on the hps... on sat...
Old 10-01-09, 11:47 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Supraman16
Hi Guys,
It's getting that time to change out the front brake pads on the F. I've read a lot of feedback on the Hawk pads (Ceramic, HPS) and just don't like the feel of them...I had them on my Supra and didn't like them. I like the way the stock IS-F pads feel, the initial bite, and performance. But as everyone, HATE all the brake dust. I haven't seen very much feedback about the Ferodo DS2500 pads. If anyone has these or tried these on their IS-F, please let me know how you like them. How is the initial bite and pedal feel? Also, is there less brake dust, or about the same as stock. I would rather deal with dusty wheels rather than give up the initial bite and performace. Thanks for any input...Darshana S...
Ferodo DS2500 pads come stock on the Brembo GT kits, and I was running those pads until I switched to the Hawk HPS Ceramics a few months ago. I liked the feel of the Ferodos, but MAN do they dust. They would turn my entire car purple after a few days of driving. The Hawks are ok for daily driving - the feel is much softer than the Ferodos, correspondingly you don't get that initial bite, and I find that you do have to press harder on the brake pedal to get the same stopping power as the Ferodos.

Bottom line - if you're looking to minimize your brake dust, Ferodo DS2500 pads are definitely not for you.

Javier
Old 10-02-09, 06:24 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

I have a set of Ferodo DS2500 Pads on now and im impressed with them. Contrary to JavyLSU, the break dust has been noticeably lower than the stock pads. In fact my front pads (the Ferodo) dust less than the stock rears. The pads are great day to day and they dont squeal at all. Also, personally i like the way the feel was changed in the car. Its a bit softer but its more to my liking. Though the difference might not be noticeable to those that dont regularly drive your car. My Mom and Girlfriend cant notice the difference.

Bottom Line- If your looking for a great Daily pad that (im my experience) produces much less brake dust than the stock pads the Ferodo DS2500 pads are the way to go.
Old 10-02-09, 08:06 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

There has been feedback on the Ferodo's and it's all been positive. I will be going with the DS2500 pads when it's time.

I have used Ferodo in the past with outstanding results. Also, a member on another forum installed these pads, and his comments were:

"I fitted the pads Sunday. Great news, its easier than a pad slap on low end cars. Low end brake systems, (read) most require removal of caliper to fit pads. ISF just slip out of top after pin removal. Its actually less labor. The whole job took an hour in the garage. Of course I did clean & lube all pins & movin hardware. The pistons 6 per caliper I was able to push back with my fingers evenly till they bottom in the bore. The calipers are embossed brembo in very small LOGO on the top of the caliper. The finish is first rate. Moving along, the ferodos work nicely, after bed in intial bite is similar to stock but as I increase pressure the bite seems a bit more aggresive which I like. As for track time with these I will see in spring. The price was right & the job is easy if you know cars & brakes. Its nice to see that any work can be done at a home shop. especially if the dealer quote is 700$ Cheers & Happy New Year to all. Hope to see some of us at the track in 09"

Lou
Old 10-02-09, 08:47 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ferodo DS2500 are great pads, but as Javy said they DO dust the whole wheel!!! I'm using Hawk ceramics now and I find them quite good in terms of stopping power, as good as the stock pads without all the brake dust. I have one problem though (as explained in another thread) and Hawk is taking a look at it already, my pads don't get in contact 100% with the rotors. We'll see what Hawk has to say about it.
Old 10-02-09, 10:28 AM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im going with the ferrods when i replace mine!
Old 10-02-09, 11:36 AM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Juanca
Ferodo DS2500 are great pads, but as Javy said they DO dust the whole wheel!!! I'm using Hawk ceramics now and I find them quite good in terms of stopping power, as good as the stock pads without all the brake dust. I have one problem though (as explained in another thread) and Hawk is taking a look at it already, my pads don't get in contact 100% with the rotors. We'll see what Hawk has to say about it.
I think Hawk made an updated pad to solve the problem
Old 10-02-09, 11:38 AM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by javyLSU
Ferodo DS2500 pads come stock on the Brembo GT kits, and I was running those pads until I switched to the Hawk HPS Ceramics a few months ago. I liked the feel of the Ferodos, but MAN do they dust. They would turn my entire car purple after a few days of driving. The Hawks are ok for daily driving - the feel is much softer than the Ferodos, correspondingly you don't get that initial bite, and I find that you do have to press harder on the brake pedal to get the same stopping power as the Ferodos.

Bottom line - if you're looking to minimize your brake dust, Ferodo DS2500 pads are definitely not for you.

Javier
so are you using the Hawk ceramics or the Hps? sounds like a dumb question but usually ppl just call it Hawk hps
Old 10-02-09, 11:42 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry, I used the wrong name. I'm using the Hawk Performance Ceramic pads, not the HPS pads.

Javier
Old 10-02-09, 01:02 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

From the various reviews I've read, if you want to keep a stock like initial bite and feel, you have to go with pads that a bit more aggressive and dust significantly more. The ceramics and ferro-carbon pads (like the Hawk HPS) have significant less initial bite but much less brake dust. I guess I'm going to go with the Ferodo's until someone comes out with a brake pad that has less brake dust and stock like initial bite.
Old 10-02-09, 08:41 PM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by javyLSU
Sorry, I used the wrong name. I'm using the Hawk Performance Ceramic pads, not the HPS pads.

Javier
Yeah, I see from the forums that the Hps has a better initial bite much equivalent to the oem pads, but the ceramics dont have that initial bite like the oem pads. I just got a set of hps pads in and I dont track my car so I think even without the initial bite I should be fine. I really hate the dust on the oem pads. wheels get blackened after every 2 hours of driving.
Old 10-02-09, 09:38 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Originally Posted by IS-Fly168
Yeah, I see from the forums that the Hps has a better initial bite much equivalent to the oem pads, but the ceramics dont have that initial bite like the oem pads. I just got a set of hps pads in and I dont track my car so I think even without the initial bite I should be fine. I really hate the dust on the oem pads. wheels get blackened after every 2 hours of driving.
That very different to what I've read. I don't think ANY of the Hawk pads; ceramic or HPS, have the initial bite or feel of the OEM pads. That's the main reason I'm thinking about going with the Ferodo pads...they seem to be more comparable to the OEM pads. I have the HPS pads on my Supra and the initial bite and overall feel of the pads suck, especially when the pads are cold.
Old 10-02-09, 11:14 PM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Supraman16
That very different to what I've read. I don't think ANY of the Hawk pads; ceramic or HPS, have the initial bite or feel of the OEM pads. That's the main reason I'm thinking about going with the Ferodo pads...they seem to be more comparable to the OEM pads. I have the HPS pads on my Supra and the initial bite and overall feel of the pads suck, especially when the pads are cold.
I had Hp+ on my civic and dude, I stopped on a dime from 150+mph with them, I locked up my brakes once doing 95mph+ with the Hp+. The only downfall of those pads were the noise level they had. Btw, the initial bite of the hp+ on my civic was insane, even better than my 4 piston wilwoods that I had on my other civic.
Old 10-03-09, 06:08 AM
Supraman16
Advanced

Originally Posted by IS-Fly168
I had Hp+ on my civic and dude, I stopped on a dime from 150+mph with them, I locked up my brakes once doing 95mph+ with the Hp+. The only downfall of those pads were the noise level they had. Btw, the initial bite of the hp+ on my civic was insane, even better than my 4 piston wilwoods that I had on my other civic.
The HP+ pads are much different than the Hawk Performance Ceramic or HPS. The HP+ are a mainly a race pad. And yeah, with the race pad you get some of the main downsides of the HP+ like the noise, brake dust, and they are not too rotor friendly. Plus trying to stop a 3500+lb Lexus is a much different story than stopping a dinky Civic.

Quick Reply: Ferodo Brake Pad?