IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Blacked out door trim

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-09, 05:05 PM
afastcar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blacked out door trim

How does the chrome door trim attach to the car is it held on by clips or double sided tape? any help would be appreciated Im looking to have mine painted thanks.
Old 08-05-09, 05:57 PM
robbys3m3
Driver

im unsure how it comes off, but to the best of my knowledge my body shop just spent a lot of time and taped around it..it turned out great fwiw.
Old 08-06-09, 12:24 AM
Fsonic
Rookie

Greetings from Norcal! Just registered to respond to this thread as this was one of my first mods since getting my F.

I wanted to blk out all the factory chrome. I went with gloss black on the door trim and roof to match the factory blk side pillars and window tint. Looks really good this way. IMO, better than flat blk, which cheapens the look. Like robbys3m3, my painters also taped around the trim. It came out perfect, without having to take the doors apart.

Also had the stock wheels, front & rear badges and front grill surround painted gloss black. This is probably the cheaper way to go than purchasing the blk chrome surround and badges, which cost a grip. However, the paint from my blk grille suround is starting to chip. So I'll probably get the blk chrome one after a few 1000 more miles.
Old 08-06-09, 07:52 AM
robbys3m3
Driver

Jetblkf, Any pics of your car? I also painted my grill surround the first time and had chips within 2 weeks. What I've done now and you would never know if I did not tell you, was we wrapped the grill surround in some high quality black vinyl. It is spot on looks-wise is MUCH more durable.
Old 08-06-09, 08:14 AM
fleadog99
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I filled in my chips with a black sharpie for now until I can get it vinyl wrapped along with my roof.
Old 08-06-09, 09:59 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by JetBlkF
Greetings from Norcal! Just registered to respond to this thread as this was one of my first mods since getting my F.

I wanted to blk out all the factory chrome. I went with gloss black on the door trim and roof to match the factory blk side pillars and window tint. Looks really good this way. IMO, better than flat blk, which cheapens the look. Like robbys3m3, my painters also taped around the trim. It came out perfect, without having to take the doors apart.

Also had the stock wheels, front & rear badges and front grill surround painted gloss black. This is probably the cheaper way to go than purchasing the blk chrome surround and badges, which cost a grip. However, the paint from my blk grille suround is starting to chip. So I'll probably get the blk chrome one after a few 1000 more miles.

Welcome!!!

Pics of your F would be great...

Clear Bra on the Painted grills will solve the rock chips as well...

The Black Chrome grill will also get rock chips after time.

So if you paint your grill or re-paint it, have some clear bra installed on it after about 1-2 weeks..

Joe Z
Old 08-06-09, 10:38 AM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Welcome!!!

Pics of your F would be great...

Clear Bra on the Painted grills will solve the rock chips as well...

The Black Chrome grill will also get rock chips after time.

So if you paint your grill or re-paint it, have some clear bra installed on it after about 1-2 weeks..

Joe Z
wish they made a clearbra for the whole car! lol then i would be safe! i get chips in the crazy places!
Old 08-06-09, 12:55 PM
robbys3m3
Driver

I have 2 small rock chips underneath the passenger side back door handle..that's a first for me.
Old 08-06-09, 07:33 PM
afastcar
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info guy's, my painter got ahold of Lexus and found out they clip in and with a tool you can pop them out and reuse the clips if you dont brake them. he pulled them off today and is painting them black pearl this will be the last pieces of chrome to leave the outside of the car, now if i could just get the air bag badge on the steering wheel done?
Old 08-06-09, 07:40 PM
afastcar
Driver School Candidate

On another note if you ever need anything black chromed these guy's do great work they can even do plastic, I have used them with great results.

http://www.classiccomponents.com/index2.html
Old 08-06-09, 08:02 PM
ilocke
Lead Lap

Who is your painter? I'm in AZ as well.
Old 08-06-09, 08:47 PM
afastcar
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ilocke
Who is your painter? I'm in AZ as well.

Total Auto Pros in PHX
Old 08-06-09, 09:08 PM
ilocke
Lead Lap

Cool thanks. Post pics when you get it done.
Old 08-07-09, 01:27 AM
Fsonic
Rookie

Appreciate the welcome and all the good tips! Will post pics of the paint work soon.

Sharpie will be a good cover up on the grille surround for now. Will definitely look into clear bra-ing the whole front end (bumper, grille, new lip spoiler) once it's repainted. Rather spend the $ on other goodies for now.

Joe Z, installed your intake tube and PTS exhaust and lovin it. I think I'm one of the few up here in Norcal that has this system! Anyone in the bay who wants to hear and feel it first hand, give me a holla. It's like an exhaust symphony as you go through the gears. I love feeling the power this car has to offer,,,,enhanced.
Old 08-07-09, 01:41 AM
Fsonic
Rookie

afastcar, that is probably the best way to go, so that your painter can properly strip off the original chrome and sand the whole piece down before painting. I hear that the clips break very easily and it may be neccessary to order new ones for re-install. But if your painter/body shop is experienced, should be cake.

BTW, you'll still have some more chrome in your headlight housing and stock lugs. I haven't worked up the cajones to F with my headlights yet.

Last edited by Fsonic; 08-07-09 at 01:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Blacked out door trim