IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Paint problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-09, 09:04 PM
mocheen
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same thing happen on the hood of the GX. I waxed it 5 x with Klasse and was not able to get the stain out. Finally, I clayed, polished and waxed it using the Porter Cable orbital buffer and I was able to get most of it off. You can still see it if you use a fluorescent light and look really hard. Otherwise it is hardly noticeable. It was bothering me for weeks. I was amazed at how easily the Lexus paint stained. Now, I try to keep an eye on the paint and always have it waxed.
Old 07-17-09, 08:57 AM
ISFer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mocheen
I had the same thing happen on the hood of the GX. I waxed it 5 x with Klasse and was not able to get the stain out. Finally, I clayed, polished and waxed it using the Porter Cable orbital buffer and I was able to get most of it off. You can still see it if you use a fluorescent light and look really hard. Otherwise it is hardly noticeable. It was bothering me for weeks. I was amazed at how easily the Lexus paint stained. Now, I try to keep an eye on the paint and always have it waxed.
+1....
Black/Dark Blue is probably the most difficult to deal with, but if you get it early, you should be able to clean up most of it.
G/L Juan.

C.
Old 07-18-09, 08:11 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Colin, I wasn't tha lucky, but thanks for the good thoughts.

I went to the dealer and was told that the only way to fix it is painting the hood. Unfortunately bird poop plus heat/sun is bad for our cars (as rominl pointed out). All IS-Fs (and all Lexus) have the same clear coat, thin but there is one. What happens with black and blue cars is that they absorb more heat than any other color, so the car's surface gets hotter. Basically this problem gets worse on dark color cars.

Oh well, I'll just get it fixed at the dealer next week.

Thanks everyone for all the input provided.

Attached is a quick picture (using my phone) so you all can have an idea. There are 3 spots like that on my hood.
Attached Thumbnails Paint problem-img_0010-medium-.jpg  
Old 07-18-09, 09:28 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...-my-paint.html

Check out that thread. Give a professional detailer a call, but from that thread, its a hard fix and may just require repainting.
Old 07-18-09, 09:47 PM
JDMToyotas
Lead Lap

I get bird crap on my car all the time here in NY.....no big deal wash right off.

LMAO its funny how u make it sound so serious when its not....
Old 07-20-09, 08:43 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Hey JDMToyotas, if you read the whole thread you'll see that it's happened to other people as well. By the way, I guess the Lexus body and paint expert knows more about the subject than you do, and he concluded that I had to paint the hood because the clear coat was gone at those spots and the paint was stained. What's funny is your lame comment about this thread.

A couple of more pictures so you can see the damage, don't pay attention to how dirty the car is on these pictures.

Originally Posted by JDMToyotas
I get bird crap on my car all the time here in NY.....no big deal wash right off.

LMAO its funny how u make it sound so serious when its not....
Attached Thumbnails Paint problem-cimg0054.jpg   Paint problem-cimg0055.jpg  
Old 07-20-09, 06:46 PM
JDMToyotas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Juanca
Hey JDMToyotas, if you read the whole thread you'll see that it's happened to other people as well. By the way, I guess the Lexus body and paint expert knows more about the subject than you do, and he concluded that I had to paint the hood because the clear coat was gone at those spots and the paint was stained. What's funny is your lame comment about this thread.

A couple of more pictures so you can see the damage, don't pay attention to how dirty the car is on these pictures.
Fuc* me. That look like some serious bird **** damage. That bird has acid poop lol. Neva knew it could be that bad I get bird doo on my car all the time, I guess its a New York thing. It has neva left that kind of damage anywhere on my car.

Maybe the sun has something to do with it? Im sure if you dont wash it off after sometime and let the car sit in the sun it will cause this kinda of damage.
Old 08-05-09, 12:35 PM
LexFather

Henry linked this in the GS forum. My G/F had some newborn baby birds with a nest on her front porch. So if I left the GS outside the birds made sexy poop time with it.

I am still disgusted how it ate through the black paint My car was spotless!!
Old 08-05-09, 12:45 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

^^^ Damn that sucks...

The natural acid found in their poop, will Damage just about any paint finish..
Old 08-05-09, 01:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Henry linked this in the GS forum. My G/F had some newborn baby birds with a nest on her front porch. So if I left the GS outside the birds made sexy poop time with it.

I am still disgusted how it ate through the black paint My car was spotless!!
ah damn that's messed up... try to clean them up asap mike, your car is obsidian too, the paint is no fun to play with
Old 08-05-09, 07:58 PM
ArticKnght
Advanced

Received 169 Likes on 78 Posts

I know that a lot of members have commented on the lack of durability in the paint Lexus is using. If it is a way for them to be more "green", they can take there crappy paint back.

I found this video of a new Ford Taurus Vs Lexus LS 460 paint test. Pretty interesting and I am sure Lexus would not like this. Just another reason why a clear bra is ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL on a new Lexus!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO10w...eature=related
Old 08-06-09, 12:44 AM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

try a clay bar, then polish it, then wax it. before you spend too much to fix it
Old 08-06-09, 03:53 AM
Civic Si-r
Lead Lap

Even when I owned the 1st gen IS300, the clear coat and paint were very weak, many owners complained about excessive paint chips, more than their previous vehicles. Some have summised that Lexus uses water base paints and clear coat. Not all clear coat are the same, and from what I found out online, there are sturdier clear coats that blockout UV-rays as well.

My current ride to use as an example, I was pleasantly surprised to see how durable the paint and clear coat Nissan put on their G35's. Yes, after 5 years of ownership and as my everyday drive, I have some small paint chips, insignificant by comparison to the IS300. The other nice feature that I like about the paint, any slight scuff. scratches and minor door dings, I am able to easily buff them out using Groits polish and Zaino Bros wax. That combo works great on my paint job, and to this day the rest of the paint looks great. Today Inifinti is marketing their vehicles with "self-healing paint", but they have been using this blend of clearcoat and paint for years, and I have been able to bring back a defect to normal , where you can't even tell. To say the least, I was quite impressed.

Looking at the OP's pics, that type of damage is severe and it appears the dropping was left on for a time and baked thru the clear coat and paint. If that were me the most I would spend is 5 mins with Groit and zaino, if that didn't work to some degree of acceptance, then the decision is to live with it or wait till there is further damage to the hood and repaint it. I would goto a repair shop talk with their supervisor and ask if they use a better quality/durable clearcoat over the new paint.

Goodluck
Old 08-06-09, 06:15 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Trust me, I'd think the same thing if I see the pictures without knowing the whole story, but it's actually my car and those bird drops were there for less than a day. I parked my car at night under a tree, early next morning I found some nasty drops when going to the office, at noon I decided to pass by a car wash and see if that helped, it didn't, so after work (afternoon) I went to a hand car wash and got the car washed and waxed. I was told by those guys that the clear coat was ruined and the paint stained. That same weekend I went to the local Lexus dealer and complained about the paint, they said that it's not covered under warranty, and that would happened to any dark color car (black, dark blue, etc.) At this point I decided to live with it and wait until my car needs a whole paint job, at that time I'll make sure to take it to the best place in town and get as many clearcoat layers as possible.

Originally Posted by Civic Si-r
Looking at the OP's pics, that type of damage is severe and it appears the dropping was left on for a time and baked thru the clear coat and paint. If that were me the most I would spend is 5 mins with Groit and zaino, if that didn't work to some degree of acceptance, then the decision is to live with it or wait till there is further damage to the hood and repaint it. I would goto a repair shop talk with their supervisor and ask if they use a better quality/durable clearcoat over the new paint.

Goodluck
Old 12-25-17, 02:26 PM
Rhosalina
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Juanca
Hey Colin, I wasn't tha lucky, but thanks for the good thoughts.

I went to the dealer and was told that the only way to fix it is painting the hood. Unfortunately bird poop plus heat/sun is bad for our cars (as rominl pointed out). All IS-Fs (and all Lexus) have the same clear coat, thin but there is one. What happens with black and blue cars is that they absorb more heat than any other color, so the car's surface gets hotter. Basically this problem gets worse on dark color cars.

Oh well, I'll just get it fixed at the dealer next week.

Thanks everyone for all the input provided.

Attached is a quick picture (using my phone) so you all can have an idea. There are 3 spots like that on my hood.
OMGosh! That is horrible! I am so sorry! I am. having scratch issues with my2014 black LS460L! If you look at it, it scratches to the primer! The Lexus paint totally sucks! I may not buy another due to this. Are they cutting back on extra layers of paint or just crappy paint? Either way I'm pissed!

Quick Reply: Paint problem