IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Red VS Pink Coolant (or other)

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-21, 06:43 PM
BertoISF
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Red VS Pink Coolant (or other)

Alright guys, as a new ISF owner I've about driven myself crazy trying to figure out what coolant I want/should be running in my ISF. I don't want to clutter the various Valley plate leak threads since they are focused more on the repair. Feels like I've read just about every thread/source on this topic and I'm seeing there is a lot of anecdotal evidence but struggling to find real substance behind it. Nothing wrong with anecdotal evidence as sometimes is can lead you to a very real cause.

I think there is pretty good consensus that once you repair your valley plate, and use the correct FIPG as outlined in the service manual, the pink coolant should be perfectly safe to use.

The next question which I don't think I've seen an answer to is, what FIPG does the factory use to seal up the valley plate? It looks like most have a gray FIPG (some have black). The theory is that the plant erroneously used the same FIPG for all sealing surfaces which are normally oil sealing, except for the valley plate cover, with the issue being that the FIPG is being dissolved by the Coolant. Seems like the logical process for trying to identify what that grey FIPG is and determine if its compatible with the pink SLLC from Toyota.

I know many folks seem to think this is an operator/assembly error, where the plant physically does not put enough FIPG at the joint. The reason I struggle with that theory is that you'd think Toyota (which prides itself in quality) would have addressed that by now. But it seems like the issue still persists in newer versions of the engine?

Maybe its a combination of both a minimal amount of FIPG with a non-compatible coolant?

Another avenue I'd like to see if any folks have experience with, have you checked the acidity of your antifreeze when the seal started leaking? The factory fill on the SLLC coolant goes 10 yrs or 100k miles? But subsequent fills are 5 years? What if the coolant is going acidic earlier than expected and eating up the FIPG? I think we've all seen the threads about the transmission fluid being a lifetime fill but in reality its probably a marketing/environmental target driving it. When I look at my new-to-me ISF's records the coolant flush has never been done, and I'd venture to say its probably one of the most neglected systems on cars in general. So what if the SLLC coolant is actually ok, but the life for the initial fill is way past due? I've personally not measured coolant acidity before but I'd be willing to give it a shot with my coolant.

Reason I'm asking all this is my ISF does not have the valley plate leak (that I know of). I'm about to take on the water pump as preventative care and plan to flush the coolant out completely. So it has me debating red vs pink. The short life of the red coolant doesn't scare me.

https://garagedreams.net/products/to...hich-is-better

I know there is some information on FB posts but those get lost in the shuffle. I think it'd be good to try and consolidate the discussion in here for searchability/posterity.
Old 06-04-21, 01:06 PM
ALexusF
Pole Position

Received 164 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by BertoISF
Alright guys, as a new ISF owner I've about driven myself crazy trying to figure out what coolant I want/should be running in my ISF. I don't want to clutter the various Valley plate leak threads since they are focused more on the repair. Feels like I've read just about every thread/source on this topic and I'm seeing there is a lot of anecdotal evidence but struggling to find real substance behind it. Nothing wrong with anecdotal evidence as sometimes is can lead you to a very real cause.

I think there is pretty good consensus that once you repair your valley plate, and use the correct FIPG as outlined in the service manual, the pink coolant should be perfectly safe to use.

The next question which I don't think I've seen an answer to is, what FIPG does the factory use to seal up the valley plate? It looks like most have a gray FIPG (some have black). The theory is that the plant erroneously used the same FIPG for all sealing surfaces which are normally oil sealing, except for the valley plate cover, with the issue being that the FIPG is being dissolved by the Coolant. Seems like the logical process for trying to identify what that grey FIPG is and determine if its compatible with the pink SLLC from Toyota.

I know many folks seem to think this is an operator/assembly error, where the plant physically does not put enough FIPG at the joint. The reason I struggle with that theory is that you'd think Toyota (which prides itself in quality) would have addressed that by now. But it seems like the issue still persists in newer versions of the engine?

Maybe its a combination of both a minimal amount of FIPG with a non-compatible coolant?

Another avenue I'd like to see if any folks have experience with, have you checked the acidity of your antifreeze when the seal started leaking? The factory fill on the SLLC coolant goes 10 yrs or 100k miles? But subsequent fills are 5 years? What if the coolant is going acidic earlier than expected and eating up the FIPG? I think we've all seen the threads about the transmission fluid being a lifetime fill but in reality its probably a marketing/environmental target driving it. When I look at my new-to-me ISF's records the coolant flush has never been done, and I'd venture to say its probably one of the most neglected systems on cars in general. So what if the SLLC coolant is actually ok, but the life for the initial fill is way past due? I've personally not measured coolant acidity before but I'd be willing to give it a shot with my coolant.

Reason I'm asking all this is my ISF does not have the valley plate leak (that I know of). I'm about to take on the water pump as preventative care and plan to flush the coolant out completely. So it has me debating red vs pink. The short life of the red coolant doesn't scare me.

https://garagedreams.net/products/to...hich-is-better

I know there is some information on FB posts but those get lost in the shuffle. I think it'd be good to try and consolidate the discussion in here for searchability/posterity.

You've obviously read through alot of the information in the other VP threads, good on you. I had my valley plate resealed at lexus January of 2020. They used the black fipg vs the gray stuff from the factory. I am also still running pink coolant. I also filed a complaint through corporate lexus about the vp leak while it was getting repaired and ended up paying $500 out of pocket vs the original $1500 that I was quoted.

That being said I plan to continue using the pink as I dont want to give Lexus any room to deny me a possible goodwill fix should the valleyplate leak again. I think either one is safe as long as you keep up with general maintenance. Im unsure of the change interval for coolant in our cars. My coolants fresh from replacing the radiator and water pumper last october lol.
Old 06-04-21, 08:49 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Piece of news here. The specified sealant is black, same as the 103 sealant. They are indistinguishable on disassembly without a chemical analysis. Or more accurately, this is my experience with an 07/08 production IS F.

I have gray sealant on the rest of my engine. No idea why, but the valley plate sealant was black when I removed it, so those posts showing indiscriminate use of the same sealant all over the engine did not apply to my car.

I paid the stupid expensive price for the specified sealant. It's just as black as the general purpose 103 sealant, so you'll never be able to tell after the parts are installed and sealed.

Only Toyota knows why they developed a special, insanely expensive, sealant for their SLLC. Only Toyota knows if they use this special sealant at the factory.
Old 06-06-21, 08:00 PM
BertoISF
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Piece of news here. The specified sealant is black, same as the 103 sealant. They are indistinguishable on disassembly without a chemical analysis. Or more accurately, this is my experience with an 07/08 production IS F.

I have gray sealant on the rest of my engine. No idea why, but the valley plate sealant was black when I removed it, so those posts showing indiscriminate use of the same sealant all over the engine did not apply to my car.

I paid the stupid expensive price for the specified sealant. It's just as black as the general purpose 103 sealant, so you'll never be able to tell after the parts are installed and sealed.

Only Toyota knows why they developed a special, insanely expensive, sealant for their SLLC. Only Toyota knows if they use this special sealant at the factory.
I thought I saw several (most) photos of the valley plates with original sealant as the gray type? Maybe I was mistaken?
Old 06-06-21, 11:46 PM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 151 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by BertoISF
I thought I saw several (most) photos of the valley plates with original sealant as the gray type? Maybe I was mistaken?
mine was black from factory. pics: who has had coolant leak around valley plate? - Page 12 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion
Old 06-15-21, 11:27 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Hi Lance, it’s been a while! I was under the impression your 08 IS F never had The valley plate leak? Or was it during a different repair/ service you had to remove that portion of the engine out?
Old 06-16-21, 10:14 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I checked it with a borescope and found a small amount of dried coolant, so I did the repair. Nothing even remotely like some of the ones we've seen here. Maybe a few ounces in total over more than 180k miles.
The following users liked this post:
SoulFreak (06-20-21)
Old 06-17-21, 08:59 AM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

I checked it with a borescope and found a small amount of dried coolant, so I did the repair. Nothing even remotely like some of the ones we've seen here. Maybe a few ounces in total over more than 180k miles.
Surprisingly I'm in the same boat, 08 with about 166k on the clock and i haven't had the leak either. I just got the car serviced at the dealership and asked specifically if it was showing signs and they were even shocked it wasn't and I haven't been losing coolant outside of the normal for a car in Vegas in 191 degree summers
Old 06-17-21, 09:49 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Here are the pics of mine. You can see it's nothing big at all.

The following users liked this post:
SoulFreak (06-20-21)
Old 06-20-21, 11:28 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Thank you very much.

Here are the pics of mine. You can see it's nothing big at all.

You definitely caught it early in the process.
Old 01-14-22, 11:08 AM
MMI
Pit Crew

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

So what's the verdict on pink vs red? As OP mentioned, there's some anecdotal evidence floating around in some Toyota forums that the pink coolant has been known to cause issues for seals and water pumps in newer model vehicles. I'm about to replace my coolant in a couple days and want to know which to go with. Thanks!
Old 01-14-22, 11:50 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Flip a coin. No one has access to the kind of data you need to make a decision like this except Toyota. All we can provide is additional anecdotal information. FWIW, I did not use the Toyota pink coolant, I used Peak's Asian automobile coolant instead. It's been in the car for a couple of years now without issue, but that's one installation by one owner. A dot doesn't make a trend. Once your warranty is over, what you use doesn't make a lot of difference. Also, I didn't choose to run Peak for price, I chose to run it because I wasn't going to get the Toyota stuff where I was in any short order. I don't have any reference point to say Peak is good, bad, or neutral. It's in my car and it's working. That's about all I can say.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 01-14-22 at 11:56 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
lorenr (01-16-22), MileHIFcar (01-15-22), Positron (01-14-22)
Old 04-28-23, 12:36 PM
krzych002
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Has anyone switched from pink to red? What are your thoughts - was it worth it?
Is there anyone (in the world) with VP leak after switching to red?
Old 04-29-23, 06:16 AM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by krzych002
Has anyone switched from pink to red? What are your thoughts - was it worth it?
Is there anyone (in the world) with VP leak after switching to red?
Valley plate leak will eventually occur on the Toyota V8's. VP leak could develop anywhere from 40k - 180k miles, which seems to be "normal."
Switching to the Toyota red coolant won't prevent the VP leak, if that's what anyone is looking for.....
Might as well stay with the recommended pink coolant.