IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Earl's Solo-Bleed for IS-F

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-19, 11:05 AM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Alright so calipers went back on this morning and gave these bleeders a go. 3 out of 4 were fine, the last one wouldn’t do **** until unscrewed damn near all the way out.

Even still they were so inconstant that I’d have to find the sweet spot of how far to back them off before they would bleed which required a second person.

I’d have been better off buying an adapter for this vehicle to use my pressure bleeder and just stuck with the stock valves. As is in order to bleed that 4th one I had to install the stock valve.

Pedal feel doesn’t feel the same so am likely going to pressure bleed and will throw the stock valves back in. Figures.
Old 06-08-19, 01:07 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

I back mine off one turn and I've never had a problem with any of them on all five of the cars I've had using Solobleeders. I am not a fan of pressure bleeding because it tends to dissolve gas into the fluid, and the gas shows up when the fluid gets hot. I learned this road racing motorcycles. Never again pressure to bleed.
Old 06-08-19, 05:12 PM
FFM
Racer

They are about as simple as can be for a check valve, so baffled as to why these were so finicky. I assumed the same that as soon as you backed it off from their seat that fluid should pass when under pressure.

Like i said 3 of them worked just fine, just that they weren’t consistent as to how far they required to be backed off to actually function. The 4th I don’t know what the malfunction is.

This is our grocery getter so not overly worried about using a pressure bleeder. Same one I used back when I was a tech 10 years ago and never did me wrong.
Old 06-08-19, 06:38 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by FFM
They are about as simple as can be for a check valve, so baffled as to why these were so finicky. I assumed the same that as soon as you backed it off from their seat that fluid should pass when under pressure...
I back them off a full turn to prevent cavitation. If the seat is close, the fluid will cavitate and it will look like there is still air in your fluid when there isn't. You're right about them being as simple a check valve as you can imagine. There is another brand called Speedbleeders that uses a ball point pen spring and a steel ball (think ball bearing) inside the bleeder body. I've never really liked them because I had friends who told me they'd had the ball corrode in place and stop working. I didn't personally experience this, and I've never bought Speedbleeders, so take it with a grain of salt. Some guys love them to death and have never had an issue with them.
Old 06-09-19, 08:46 AM
FFM
Racer

Bled them again last night. Seemed to have done the trick. Didn’t put that 4th one back in but might later.