IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

I got my ass handed to me in my IS-F

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-08, 10:45 PM
ISFjimmy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by btwanky
blah blah blah.. no one gives a *****... to be honest with you.. you buy a BMW if you dont know much about cars.. or are to stubborn to buy another car...

There not reliable... have looked the same for 20 years... less technology, in some cases less performance...

So if you wanna keep arguing how good your car is.. thats fine.. but your on the wrong forum to do it... go back to the Bimmerforums and post that nonsense there.

by the way.. why didnt you just get the M3.. its supposedly the ultimate driving machine
ouch.... Burn.
Old 09-18-08, 10:49 PM
ISFjimmy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 335i Beast
and do you think your STOCK clutch will hold up with a aftermarket twin turbo system, LOL...........
i hope he doesnt think the IS-F comes with a manual transmission...
Old 09-18-08, 11:11 PM
DavE713
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PachecoGS4
i hope he doesnt think the IS-F comes with a manual transmission...
it is a 6mt awd car!
Old 09-19-08, 05:29 AM
gs400tx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
I'll start with an apology to the moderators.

That out of the way, who are these BMW loving idiots who think the 335 is the end all and be all of the sports sedan? If I had wanted a piece of crap that spent more time in the shop than on the road, with service techs that think they are doing you a favor by working on your car at outrageous prices, I would have picked a 335. They are not even in the same universe as far as luxury (iDrive...are you kidding me?) and all around quality. (My family has owned 3 BMW's so I am first hand familiar with their garbage).

If you want to talk stock against stock our IS F's will smoke you're ****ty 335. How is the 335 even in this conversation? I'm guessing that most IS F owners would have been shopping M3's, C63 AMG's or CTS-V's in the same segment. The M3 is a different conversation, and at least one worth having, as opposed to the 335.

What a joke this 335i Beast is!
EACH individual elects to make the decision on their car for THEIR reasons - not what you deem obvious or important.

If you had a little smaller chip on your shoulder an apology would not be needed. Your as bad as ANY BMW owner - learn some tact or at least when to hold your tounge/keyboard and all will be much more pleasant.

And before you get all hungup on a stock lexus vs a modded 335, there are MB-W211s (Supercharged E55s) that have trouble with modded 335s and they dont make rationalize it away bc the MB was not modded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LubdzwkG5nE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVmuWyknjQ8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ8Rk61t4uo

Last edited by gs400tx; 09-19-08 at 06:14 AM.
Old 09-19-08, 06:14 AM
nuttybar08
Driver

Originally Posted by gs400tx
Well, the jurys still out on the longevity of modded (or unmodded N54s which are now being used in all kinds of BMW products). You can say I told you so when they begin to blow like some thermonuclear device - until then we have to assume that BMW did the appropriate development to make them durable/survive - they are the experts and we have to conclude that experience provides them the ability to make durable drivetrains.

Yes, some owners do need a little ego stroking to reassure themselves that the 335 was the obvious choice over a M3. But, they have other insecurities than just the obvious ones.
If for some reason the extended service does not cover the visits for repair, I have no qualms about spending 1.95$ for a forsale sign and bidding fairwell to the BMW 335.

PS, mine was an MY07 335 built in Aug - pretty early I would say, and again, its never had an overheat condition (or even close) - even before the Oil cooler was installed.

Take care
Fair enough. Ultimately I think we agree more than disagree because neither of us are brand *****s.

Best Regards.
Old 09-19-08, 08:07 AM
houstonT
Lead Lap

Wow, lots of angry people here! Let me tell you my story as I think it's atleast semi-relavent to this topic. I sold my modded 08 335i to buy the IS-F. When I say modded I mean my 335i had the SSTT mod done to it. I documented very carefully the stock rwhp vs. the modded rwhp using the same dyno, in the same conditions, same gas station, etc... I picked up 49.6 rwhp and 52.0 rwtq with my mod. I ran at TX2K8 with this mod and was able to run a 12.7@108 (consistently) with a high trap (before heat soak) at 110.8.

Ironically, there was an IS-F at TX2K8 and while his best et was 12.8 he did MPH in the 112 range... At that point I knew that the IS-F was the FASTER car (faster than my modded 335i). I won't get into reliability details as I had minor issues with my 335i (I sold it with 6k miles) and at the end of the day, when my Lexus dealer called telling me about an IS-F they had in stock, I jumped on it and bought it (and sold the 335i).

I have run a few modded 335i's and have not lost yet but have yet to run into a highly modded 335i or 135i. Anyhow, I will take my IS-F back to the track soon and think I can run 112-113 in the cooler weather.

Peter
Old 09-19-08, 08:34 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EACH individual elects to make the decision on their car for THEIR reasons - not what you deem obvious or important.

If you had a little smaller chip on your shoulder an apology would not be needed. Your as bad as ANY BMW owner - learn some tact or at least when to hold your tounge/keyboard and all will be much more pleasant.

And before you get all hungup on a stock lexus vs a modded 335, there are MB-W211s (Supercharged E55s) that have trouble with modded 335s and they dont make rationalize it away bc the MB was not modded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LubdzwkG5nE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVmuWyknjQ8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ8Rk61t4uo
If you read my earlier post, that is precisely my point. Everyone has their own reasons for purchasing a vehicle.

As to this BMW owner, he continues to slag the IS F and other posters on this forum and I am tired of it. Big frickin deal if his modded 335 is faster than a stock IS F. The majority of us didn't buy them to street race, we bought them as daily drivers that we can enjoy AND take to the track once in a while to have some fun. There will always be somebody faster, but very few will have the complete luxury/performance/reliablity, that our IS F's provide.
Old 09-19-08, 08:36 AM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

the 335i's are in the 11's with all bolt ons!!!!!!!!!
The only ones venturing in the 11s that I know of are running drag tires and are running race gas. Let's not exaggerate please. And quit making us BMW guys look like asses....the ISF is one hell of a car. Like others have said, it should be compared to the M3.

As far as the N54's engine...my opinion is that the actual motor is strong, it's the secondary stuff that will break: turbos, clutch, tranny, etc.
Old 09-19-08, 08:48 AM
SilverBull
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are no "REAL" 335's running in the 11 second range. I say real since they would have to strip weight and run drag race tires, etc... I have been a part of clublexus because of the maturity of this board. However, there are still members on here who rival the dumb comments I read on Bimmerpost.com. I had a Lexus IS350 and my wife drives an RX350 still so I am a fan of their cars. However, if someone on here drives a 335i coupe I think they would enjoy it quite a bit. I think the IS-F should be compared to an M3. In straight ahead speed you will see comparisons of Dinan 335s and such since it costs $2k(or less) to make the car 12 seconds fast. I don't know any car that can do upgrades like this car. That was its selling point to me. Plus, 421 lb*ft of torque is fun as hell to drive around with. Trust me
Old 09-19-08, 09:00 AM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well: From BMS:
"Looking for maximum horsepower? 402rwhp / 454rwtq using the JB2+X, Ultimate Racing downpipes, and the BMS filter. This was made through the stock exhaust and stock secondary cats! This map propelled our development 335i to 1/4 mile times of 11.89 @ 114.9mph, currently the worlds quickest! 0-60 as been timed at 3.5 seconds."

+1 on the modding potential for the 335i/535i/135i...easy to add power and a great selling point.
Old 09-19-08, 09:40 AM
SilverBull
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still don't think that is very easy to obtain. An 11.89 is very fast but he must have a very great engine to start with. 402 rwhp on a 335i is about the max these will hold but for how long. 350 rwhp is more realistic without destorying the car. Those are good stats though. 454 rwtq is a lot of torque.
Old 09-19-08, 09:43 AM
gs400tx
Lead Lap

If you read my earlier post, that is precisely my point. Everyone has their own reasons for purchasing a vehicle.
My bad
I was a little late to the party and Im sure strong personalities can get passionate about things. Whats most important is that we take pride in each choice we have made and not be too critical of those others have made. They all have their advantages over some lessor engineered vehicles that will be nameless.

Which kind of concerns me about the CTSV (oh damn, there I did it).

But now that I spilled the beans, anybody know how well the current gen CTSV is regarding reliability?
Old 09-19-08, 09:52 AM
vrferrari
Pole Position

My bad
I was a little late to the party and Im sure strong personalities can get passionate about things. Whats most important is that we take pride in each choice we have made and not be too critical of those others have made. They all have their advantages over some lessor engineered vehicles that will be nameless.

Which kind of concerns me about the CTSV (oh damn, there I did it).

But now that I spilled the beans, anybody know how well the current gen CTSV is regarding reliability?
You mean the new S/C 6.2 cars ? If so, nobody knows yet but one of the engineers for the LS9 powered ZR1 stated that if/when tuners start playing around with that engine, they are going to have to pay serious attention to the thermal aspects of that package as well.
559 HP is way up there. You realise that under the old 2006 SAE ratings the numbers that this engine (in the CTS V chassis) would have been rated at would be around 575+ HP !!!!!
Old 09-19-08, 10:35 AM
nuttybar08
Driver

GM took great pains to correct the flaws of the previous generation (most significantly the differential-destroying rear axle hop). Overall I would expect a fairly reliable vehicle, with the essential drivetrain components all beefed up.
Old 09-19-08, 11:22 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,138 Likes on 1,303 Posts

Is this a joke everyone knows overall BMW is greater than Lexus.........hands down.......

Instead of talking about a DRAG race, why don't we take it to the autocross course LOL.........than its not even close.......BMW wins out everytime
Funny, go look at dragtimes, you FOOL!!!
Ill challenge ANY IS-F to a race, anyone in NY or long island want to learn a lesson first hand??
By the way, the IS-F looks like the biggest girls car out there especially with the exhaust pipes right on top of each other, instead of your B*tch *** only having two holes to get ****ed in, now you have four of them.........have fun spending 15-20K on a twin turbo kit that you will not be able to drive as a daily driver and do you think your STOCK clutch will hold up with a aftermarket twin turbo system, LOL...........

Originally Posted by nuttybar08
He couldn't afford an M3. That's why he and his buddies troll m3post chirping about their "bang for the buck". Yes, they get laughed at there too.
I'll start with an apology to the moderators.

That out of the way, who are these BMW loving idiots who think the 335 is the end all and be all of the sports sedan? If I had wanted a piece of crap that spent more time in the shop than on the road, with service techs that think they are doing you a favor by working on your car at outrageous prices, I would have picked a 335. They are not even in the same universe as far as luxury (iDrive...are you kidding me?) and all around quality. (My family has owned 3 BMW's so I am first hand familiar with their garbage).

If you want to talk stock against stock our IS F's will smoke you're ****ty 335. How is the 335 even in this conversation? I'm guessing that most IS F owners would have been shopping M3's, C63 AMG's or CTS-V's in the same segment. The M3 is a different conversation, and at least one worth having, as opposed to the 335.

What a joke this 335i Beast is!

Guys, this type of behavior is not conducive to maintaining membership on our forum. Please don't continue it in other threads. Disagreement is fine, but do it in a mature and productive manner.

if you see obvious trolls who are here simply to flame, not participate in the community - use the report a post feature for a moderator to come and review please