IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Need help isf or q50s

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-16, 03:43 PM
Kingex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help isf or q50s

I know this is a Lexus forum but in need help from someone that's actually had a isf n tried the q50s . I'm getting a car soon and was thinking about a 2012 or 2011 Lexus isf under 50k miles or a brand new 2016 -2017 infinity q50s rw drive ???
Old 12-31-16, 03:46 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Since this is a lexus forum it will be biased towards IS-F. Q50S TTV6 ECU has already been cracked and tuners are offering options so if your plan was to do power mods you can get and surpass the power of the IS-F. I say test drive both.
Old 12-31-16, 03:53 PM
Kingex
Driver School Candidate

Yea was gonna test drive both after the holidays but was just stuck I will eventually mod but I'm not that hands on and educated with mods . Lexus was my dream car but the q50 is growing on me maybe just throw a turbo and exhaust n some minor mods but nothing crazy . And they are both in the same price range . ones new and ones under 50k miles so that's a bummer too
Old 12-31-16, 05:09 PM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

These newer turbo cars like the q50s with mods will easily be quicker than an F in a straight line at least. I personally prefer the great handling, nice brakes and the sound of a great V8 that the F delivers on. They're all great cars, you just have to drive them and find what makes you want to take one home, the thought of being the only owner from brand new and having a full warranty is appealing.
Old 12-31-16, 06:14 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

A friend of mine has the Q50s, and what he likes most about it is the luxury feel inside the cabin. Aside from the 400 HP it produces, he opted for the interior accent lighting and driver aid options (BSM, front and rear sonar with object detection). From a luxury standpoint, I will say it was quite a nice feel and ambiance set by Infiniti, many of which are customizable and helps gives the driver more options to tinker. From a performance perspective, 400 HP/350 TQ is what Infiniti states from the factory. Beyond numbers, we did switch cars for a little bit of time, and I honestly have to admit....Sport+ on the Infiniti feels like NORMAL mode in the IS F. Shifts were not nearly as fluid or direct with my IS F, and even my friend mentioned that. There seemed to be maybe a millisecond more of a delay in its upshifts, whereas the IS F was instantaneous in his feeling with the paddle shifters. Its Direct Adaptive dampening system did a very nice job minimizing imperfections in the road, which, when compared to a stock IS F, especially the early years, would have been very well received had Lexus implemented something of the sort; I do have coilovers with higher spring rates to provide a better driving feel for myself, so I found this Infiniti's version to be more for luxury barges where it's all about comfort and sacrificing performance and feedback as a result (something I don't think it was aiming for).

Another thing we discussed was the options on the car. I did mention the interior ambiance with the lighting change, something Lexus didn't offer for the F. Heated front seats are not standard on the Q50s, which is the opposite for the Lexus (though I really wish we had cooled seats instead here in So Cal, despite it raining and being pretty cold here currently). My friend opted for the illuminated scuff plates, which the IS F did not have standard either; both were around $450 MSRP or so. Infiniti's Tech Package includes what 08-10 IS F owners have with the AFS system. And lastly, what my friend didn't opt for was the Cargo Package, which includes carpet for the trunk, a first aid kit, and trunk net, all of which were standard on the IS F.

Without getting to the nickels and dimes, his negotiated price before TTL was pretty darn spot on with what I paid for my IS F back in 2008. He likes his new car with the latest tech goodies and rather still new car smell. I prefer my IS F which may not have all the tech stuff he has, but it has a nice raw/unrefined approach to tackling the road

To the OP- go with your gut....after you test drive both cars. Finding a really good deal on either will be hard, as neither are easy to get a deep negotiable price discount. But drive both and get a feel for the cars. Despite it being a Lexus forum, I can still see the growth and merit in other cars and competitors at that, though when my friend told me that the IS350 F-sport, not the IS F, was one of the mentionable competitors that the salespeople over at Infiniti were comparing the cars with, my first thought was my friend really thought my IS F had a 3.5L engine and that would've enraged me. And from online publications and magazines, I've seen the Q50s square off with the BMW 340i X-Drive or MB C450 AMG, holding its own very well....until you get to slaloms or anything too curvy or winding. You can't really go wrong in the end. Just enjoy your ride! Best of luck, my friend!
The following users liked this post:
21ce (01-02-17)
Old 12-31-16, 10:14 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

From the reviews, it seems the steering system isn't stellar, not sure about the chassis. From another review I saw on YouTube, the gearbox doesn't seem to be the greatest piece of work either.

Sure you can upgrade it with ECU, down-pipe (been there, done that) and a fuel pump. You can also upgrade the IS-F.

Putting my IS-F ownership aside, the first thing that stands out is the interior in the Q50. Looks very similar to the CTS-V, doesn't strike me they tried to make the top tier model any different than the other models. The gauge cluster is the same, no quad exhaust of any kind, no body modifications, paint brake calipers. It doesn't stand out from the pack as far as I can tell. (could be a good thing sometimes)

I did a quick Google search and most of the ECU tuning is directed towards the 2.0L turbo and the 3.0L turbo engines, haven't seen anything for the 400 hp TT engine as of yet.

If you're planning to go that route, I would highly recommend getting an ECU upgrade from a reputable company like Cobb Tuning and getting the car custom tuned on the dyno by someone who knows what they are doing.

Back to the IS-F. The car has been out from 2008 to 2014, went through a few upgrades in 2011. The engine is proven, the gearbox is proven. There are noticeable differences in the body cosmetics as opposed to the IS 250 / IS 350 (aside from some people mistakenly thinking your car is an F-sport), Lexus put some thought behind the IS-F to let you and the world know (although most people still don't know anything about this car, just ask the Mercedes Benz CLK-550 who wondered how I walked away from him one day) you're in something different.

Aside from the car being very reliable, it also sounds great. Can't beat the V8 growl it makes.

Bottom line, the Q50 isn't a GTR. How good is it, time will tell.

Go test drive both, see which car appeals to you.
Old 01-01-17, 10:58 AM
Eedo123
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd have a hard time picking an Q50s over an IS-F, despite the fact that the Infiniti is still a great and fast sports car. It's just, after living with the IS-F for a year and a half now, I cant imagine living without the feeling and experience you get when you go wide open throttle and take that glorious screaming V8 to redline. The way the throttle reacts to your foot, the way the suspension flexes when the torque comes in, and the monstrous sound, it all makes for a superb motorsport/driving experience.
The following users liked this post:
ImportISF (01-02-17)
Old 01-01-17, 04:48 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Eedo123
I'd have a hard time picking an Q50s over an IS-F, despite the fact that the Infiniti is still a great and fast sports car. It's just, after living with the IS-F for a year and a half now, I cant imagine living without the feeling and experience you get when you go wide open throttle and take that glorious screaming V8 to redline. The way the throttle reacts to your foot, the way the suspension flexes when the torque comes in, and the monstrous sound, it all makes for a superb motorsport/driving experience.
Man!!! You're dead in with your description!!! You're making me want to pull the F out of the garage and go for a ride!! Lol.
Don't even mention if you have one of the many quality aftermarket exhaust systems for the F.....Extreme music to everyone's ears!!
Think I'm going to tinker with headers this year....See what they do for me power/sound wise.

V.
Old 01-01-17, 05:56 PM
cjblair
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
I did a quick Google search and most of the ECU tuning is directed towards the 2.0L turbo and the 3.0L turbo engines, haven't seen anything for the 400 hp TT engine as of yet.

Bottom line, the Q50 isn't a GTR. How good is it, time will tell.

Go test drive both, see which car appeals to you.
I agree with most of your points.

Just an FYI though the 400hp engine is the 3.0t (well, obviously it's a tt, but it says 3.0t on the side)
Old 01-01-17, 09:16 PM
Kingex
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the help guys damn some sad news they just bought the isf 2012 and now I can't test drive it I knew it wasn't going to be in the market long these cars are very rare . so now I'm looking at 2010 isf the only thing with that is it has 59k miles for 34k and it's in another state so I can't test drive it bummer ! So now I'm thinking ... did some research and is350 fsport runs about 45-50k and so does the q50s not going for the red sport 400 just the rw 3.0t sport . I'm going to test drive this wren and see how it goes . So what do you guys think about that isf is that a good price and any problems with the isf I should worry about because it is a used car . I'll get back once I test drive both 2016-17 350 n q50 and let me know if I should lean towards the isf still
Old 01-02-17, 04:32 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Tremendous step backwards if you were shopping ISFs but now shopping for is350s. Just because something cost more or the same doesn't mean you're getting the same or more performance.

V.
Old 01-02-17, 06:55 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingex
Thanks for all the help guys damn some sad news they just bought the isf 2012 and now I can't test drive it

I won't say that we told you so......but yes, these cars get snagged very fast.

If you were aiming for a 2012, why not find another one?

Just logged into AutoTrader, there are a whole bunch of 2012's, 2013's and even 1 2014 that I saw. Some rare colors too, USB and NGP.

Last edited by 2URGSE; 01-02-17 at 06:59 AM.
Old 01-02-17, 07:02 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 260 Likes on 158 Posts

Q50S red sport is quicker than ISF, but more muted as well. I would test drive both models with DAS and without as I prefer without the DAS system. The RS is pretty underrated as well, 400HP dynoing at 385whp is no joke, and with the downpipes and catback they are getting 420-430whp without a tune even out yet. I'd go for a 17 Q50RS as they added red calipers, improved seats/stereo, and black headliner or a 16 if you can still find one on lots for a discount, I know they were offering nearly $7k off in October..But can't beat the sound of an NA V8.

Last edited by LexusfanVA; 01-02-17 at 07:48 AM.
Old 01-02-17, 07:42 AM
geero
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

i went from a 3IS Fsport to an 08 ISF and couldnt be happier. 3IS Fsports are a dime a dozen on the streets and the ISF are like unicorns. and the performance difference is night and day. n/a lexus v8 will soon be extinct so i would grab one if you want to join their exclusive club. good luck
Old 01-02-17, 09:50 AM
Jmt1011
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by geero
i went from a 3IS Fsport to an 08 ISF and couldnt be happier. 3IS Fsports are a dime a dozen on the streets and the ISF are like unicorns. and the performance difference is night and day. n/a lexus v8 will soon be extinct so i would grab one if you want to join their exclusive club. good luck
+1. I did the same

Quick Reply: Need help isf or q50s