IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Is-F...Part 2? Trade-in?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-08, 12:38 PM
k_dizzle
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since your 16 keep the 350......in a few yrs there will be alot of bettter and faster cars out.....mod the 350...dont waste your parents hard earn money....be wise...
Old 04-03-08, 04:36 PM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

I'm 26 now. But I know what's it's like to have parents who can or will buy you anything you want. If I had asked, it'd have been provided. The thing is, though, at about 13, I started feeling guilty about it. I hated the feeling of being given something amazing without having to work for it. From that point on, I stopped asking for things. I was still given things now and then, but not as much as if I had flat-out asked.

I bet I could ask my dad, even at this age, for an ISF, and he'd help me get it no problem. He's a Vice-President for Verizon... it's pocket change to him. But I'd never enjoy the car. I'd always feel pathetic and worthless while driving it... like I didn't deserve how nice it was.

So, IS250 it is.

One day, maybe when I'm in my 30's, I'll try to attempt getting into a car that's $50k and up. But I can't afford one now, and I don't want it to be given to me for no reason.
Old 04-03-08, 05:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Reyngel
I'm 26 now. But I know what's it's like to have parents who can or will buy you anything you want. If I had asked, it'd have been provided. The thing is, though, at about 13, I started feeling guilty about it. I hated the feeling of being given something amazing without having to work for it. From that point on, I stopped asking for things. I was still given things now and then, but not as much as if I had flat-out asked.

I bet I could ask my dad, even at this age, for an ISF, and he'd help me get it no problem. He's a Vice-President for Verizon... it's pocket change to him. But I'd never enjoy the car. I'd always feel pathetic and worthless while driving it... like I didn't deserve how nice it was.

So, IS250 it is.

One day, maybe when I'm in my 30's, I'll try to attempt getting into a car that's $50k and up. But I can't afford one now, and I don't want it to be given to me for no reason.
much respect given here. nothing tastes "sweeter" than the stuff you afford yourself.
Old 04-03-08, 05:32 PM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
much respect given here. nothing tastes "sweeter" than the stuff you afford yourself.

so true. ive been buying my own stuff far back as i remember. shoot.. i pay for my parents ulitlity bills and half the mortgage to thank them for raising me.

on topic... i think the isf will get you in more trouble but if your folks want to buy it and they think its a rational decision....sure.

IMO, id make my kid go get a job that pays enough for one.
Old 04-03-08, 05:37 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Like what many people here say, I recommend against getting it.

I am about to turn 20, and working (intern) through companies as Sun Microsoft, Siemens etc on part time earning very good salaries for people my age (lets just say I can almost match some college graduate's salary with my part time job), I can just barely afford to cover the car payment of 920 a month and insurance and gas on my awd 250.

Now you are still in highschool, and BR dont pay real well lol, when you are in college, you will have a even busier schedule! Provide if you balance your social and school well lol...

So point being, its very hard to make the money to cover your car's payment unless you plan on working your *** off nonstop and have no social life (like me right now, I havent been out of my house other than school and work for almost 3 months now ), you should just stick with your 350

Work hard in school, do well, get a good future, one day you can buy cars like ISF in one payment with cash
Old 04-03-08, 06:01 PM
fasteddy91
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say keep the is350. 306 horsepower is plenty for your age or 95% of the people out there. Plus take it from someone who's been there and please don't this the wrong way, but what your parents did by buying you a brand new is350 and now wanting to trade it in for something else would be a slap in the face to your parents. I know you mentioned your parents would do it and it's to make you to happy, that's what most parents want to do. My parents didn't have money and they helped buy my brother a 2 year old 4x4truck which still costed alot of money and my dad had to work a little longer and not retire when he wanted to because of that. I have always paid for my own cars all on my own, my Dad did co-sign, but I never asked a for a penny to help me out with my payments. I just purchased my new is350 straight up after saving for years and had been driving a car I had for 13 years with 140 horsepower. Even when my dad offered to buy me a newer car when he was alive, but I didn't accept because paying for my own stuff means alot to me. maybe it's just me. A car only lasts so long, have them pay for your education instead. That, I would of accepted money for from my parents, cause education and degrees will be with you forever and then you can buy any car you want.
Old 04-03-08, 07:06 PM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Heres two option you may want to consider Leasing or doing a baloon payment. With a baloon you only finace part of the car for 2-4 years after its up you can trade in just like you owned i or you can pay the baloon in one lump sum or refinance it. Just a thought for your consideration.
Old 04-03-08, 08:51 PM
Tommy350
Lead Lap

Once again thanks for all your inputs, comments, and thoughts

first... someone quoted me about myself not asking my parents to pay me, while working for them(during free time) but asking for a upgrade... well a month ago when i first tired...i was actually just joking with my mom about it and 10 minutes later after getting off the phone with my dad she said if its a good deal then she'll do it(which ended up not being so to her) so i'm not asking her or my dad to buy it for em because i really like it, it started off as a joke

second...i want to say i have alot of respect for Reyngel, alot of people would milk up pops if he was VP of Verizon

third... i'm not in high school anymore...i'm class of 07'... i'm currently at a community college(i'm not a super Asian kid hahaha....just a regular joe in school), hoping to transfer(save money etc.) to a UC to state college

...i just started to contact some dealers to see what can be worked out...me paying, and or parents... basicly shop around... if deals don;t look good to my parents i'll see what i can do... i'm also looking for a better job & interenships also...

once again thanks for yoru input, comments, and thoughts....i'll keep you guys posted
Old 04-04-08, 12:40 AM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

if your 18 and already got 3 speeding tickets you are clearly way too immature and irresponcible to be driving a 416hp vehicle.
first of all if you continue on the path your on the insurance company your with will drop you from the policy and you will end up getting a high risk policy that you may not be able to afford on top of the car payment.
at your age if you have 1600 bucks a month to blow you would be far better off to invest some of that income into a peice of property especially in todays market where you can get a nice home for dirt cheap. if you can put off your desire to get the F now if you wait till next year or 2 you can very likely sell the house and pay a good deal of the F in cash, combined with the fact who knows whats next? for all we know the gen 3 IS-f may be worth waiting for and how cool will you be if you just happen to be in a perfect position to get one?
Old 04-04-08, 08:19 AM
Supershyguy
Pole Position

wow lucky guy, my first car is a corolla and I still had to pay for it myself

hey if my parents can "EASILY" afford all that, why not
Old 04-04-08, 11:26 AM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

wow i am 19 and i just ordered my is-f myself i am also Viet and Chinese. Paid it all off myself and damm proud of it. I am also currently a junior at the University of Washington. Going to med school in a year here. So i think it feels way better and enjoy the car more if you got it yourself. You are lucky to have a 350 and you will be paying out of your *** for it on a min wage job. You would have to work full time plus overtime if they allow you to. Just for the payments.
Old 04-04-08, 12:34 PM
chums
Lead Lap

+1 to reyngel. all the way with that one
Old 04-04-08, 01:35 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

to the OP: let's put aside the issue of how you're going to pay for the IS-F, and just assume for one logically-blinding moment that you do end up w/ an IS-F.

you do know that you have to carry full coverage for a new vehicle in the state of california, right? you know what will make your insurance premium go through the roof? two things: the IS-F itself, and your driving record. insurance companies are not going to line up around the block to want to insure you - and that's assuming IF they will.

simply put:

young, high-risk driver
+ sketchy driving record
+ high-horsepower vehicle
+ required full coverage
---------------------------------------------------------
= insurance companies reconsidering their coverage of YOU + IS-F.

and regarding your driving habits: i guarantee you that once you get that IS-F your current driving habits - good and bad - will be magnified. you drive fast in your is350? you'll be going faster w/ the IS-F. you drive w/ reckless abandon, take turns at unnecessarily high speeds in the is350? you'll be even more reckless in the IS-F. point is, the more powerful/faster the car is, the more your driving habits are magnified. now, you can have a million reasons why you will be a better, safer, slower, etc., driver, but ultimately when you get behind that wheel you're not going to remember your reasons. rather, you'll default to your usual behavior.

this isn't to deter you from trying to become an IS-F owner; this is something that you might not have considered. if your parents have the means to get you the IS-F, and you do end up getting one, then i enviously congratulate you. but don't make the mistake of getting the IS-F simply because you have the means to; do it because you can be - and maybe, just maybe, will be - a responsible driver and owner.
Old 04-04-08, 11:23 PM
Tommy350
Lead Lap

^ this morning i was eating and my mom asked me to find out how much it was going to be to insure a is-f.... she told me thats the main reason why we didn't do the trade...because she didn't want me to waste my time paying 10 grand a year just to have a nice car

also... just because i have 3 speeding tickets doesn't mean i have a lead foot or i'm a reckless drive(but i do once in a while...its a great car) i'm just as careful as any other person... my first was the second week of owning the 350, i was not used to the feel of the car(felt like i was going 60 when i was hitting 85-90(going 40 but felt like 20 etc.) i was going 95 in a 65....my second was going 46 in a 45 in the rain..third was in a lexus loaner car i was blasting the music(because i usually don't and i didn't care it was a loaner) and wasn't really paying attention

i been in our business for 9 years now(as long as we own it) and i understand how hard my parents work( theirs been days my dad or mom took off and i took their place because they were over stressed or tired)

once again thanks for you input...it really helps...i honestly probulley wont get the is-f but it doesn't hurt to try....again thanks guys
Old 04-05-08, 01:36 AM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

... make alot of money...we own something very close to Noahs Bagels(21 of them in the Bay Area, 2 of which we own our selfs, the rest is all family own, aunts, cousins, uncles, etc) ........................................ move up here from L.A. ............................................... hhaha kinda weird that were veit/ chinese and we own a bagel shop...
Sorry but it is my nature to think more when people talk like this.

You mean "we're veit/chinese, and we own (two) bagle shops (like businesses)"

I think I konw which chain you are in. A few stores are doing bad, and I personally prefer to go to traditional shops because the everything taste better there and cheaper also.

There were noodle house legends that once had its great time in past but still fell in years, so don't rely too much with family business and baby what you have now.

My car was ugly when I was 16, but I took care of it no less than any F owners here to their cars. You bet I am trying hard eveyday, to give my son (if I will have one) an isF-like car when he's 16, but I won't.

If you are not bluffing, get it... get the F. It is a better car than what you have now. I am sure it won't be a problem for your family; at least it's not a problem for now. I hope you will not regret what you said here when you get older.

Oops, I talk too much again!
Joseph

Quick Reply: Is-F...Part 2? Trade-in?