IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Gt-r V Is-f

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-07, 06:38 AM
iameric
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the GT-R has got to be the most innovative car to debut this year, even considering the new M3 and the IS-F, the times listed on the GT-R are ridiculous. And for the lightweight GT-R V-Spec of the skyline it starts at a fair $69k, this also comes with what has to be the most innovative computer information system, this car has both design and functionality. it was clocked doing the ring in 7 minutes and 35 seconds.

The only transmission that will be available in the GT-R is a GR6 dual-clutch six-speed. The GT-R's powertrain is reportedly good for a zero to 60 time of 3.5 seconds, a quarter mile time of only 11.7 seconds and a top speed of 192 mph.

In addition, recent reports indicate the GT-R lapped the Nurburgring's Nordschleife in 7 min 35 seconds — placing it in some pretty elite company. That time trails the Pagani Zonda F by two seconds and the Koenigsegg CCR by one, but the GT-R lapped the track faster than a Mercedes SLR McLaren (7 min 40 sec), Porsche 911 Turbo (7 min 40 sec) and the Corvette Z06 (7 min 42 sec).
- leftlane news

more pictures here

Last edited by iameric; 11-16-07 at 07:25 AM.
Old 11-16-07, 06:46 AM
aco
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
EXACTLY right! I was about to make the point that the GTR and the IS-F are entirely different cars that are being marketed to customers whose automotive ambitions are not similar. Without being too specific in terms of age demographic, there's a cut-off point where someone would look ridiculous driving a GTR. Not that the GTR is a lesser or greater car than the IS-F, but that it's a car that's better suited to a younger person. I believe that many individuals who could afford the GTR will purchase something along the line of the IS-F, RS4, or M3/5 instead, because of their age and/or profession. The reason that so few GTRs are being targeted for sale in the U.S. is, in part, due to this fact.
The demographic for the GT-R may not be the same as the IS-F, M3, RS4 and the C63. This demographic is looking for a sporty luxury car.

The more likely target for the GT-R are male drivers over 30 who are looking for performance above luxury and have the means to buy and maintain the vehicle. I think a lot of the GT-R owners will cross shop with the ZO6 and 911. This is a different market.

There are couple of reasons why there are so few slated for the US. First is that the production numbers are very low. Only 40/month. Second, the GT-R legend has a much broader following outside of the US. However, of the 4800/year 1598 are slated for North America. So Nissan apparently sees a market in the US.
Old 11-16-07, 06:59 AM
aco
Rookie

Originally Posted by iameric
the GT-R has got to be the most innovative car to debut this year, even considering the new M3 and the IS-F, the times listed on the GT-R are ridiculous. And for the lightweight GT-R V-Spec of the skyline it starts at a fair $69k, this also comes with what has to be the most innovative computer information system, this car has both design and functionality. it was clocked doing the ring in 7 minutes and 35 seconds.
Let me correct a couple of statements. The 2009 GT-R coming in June 2008 is not a lightweight Spec V model. There is a base and a premium, $69,850 and $71,900 respectively. The rumored Spec V will probably not show up until late 2009 as a 2010 model. The 7:35 number that has been making the forum rounds is unverified. The number Nissan released is 7:38.
Old 11-16-07, 07:30 AM
iameric
Driver

Here's the 7:38 video around the Nurburgring. Yes and thanks for clearing that up the V-Spec will probably be released a good time after the GT-R hits the market.
Old 11-16-07, 07:15 PM
GlockMan9c
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kan-O-Z
What do you all think about this:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=123431

GT-R priced at $69,850!

This will be a serious price threat to IS-F, M3, RS4, C63!!

With 480hp twin turbo and all wheel drive, the GT-R will be above and beyond all 4 mentioned above.

Of course the only thing missing will be the premium badge but then again the GT-R name is premium enough.

What do you think, would any of you consider the GT-R knowing it's only a few more thousand than the IS-F?

Kan-O-Z
You can not even compare a GTR to an ISF. Its like comparing an M3 to a ES.
Old 11-16-07, 09:38 PM
Kan-O-Z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GlockMan9c
You can not even compare a GTR to an ISF. Its like comparing an M3 to a ES.
While I understand what you are saying, I don't think you can say the GT-R is to an IS-F as what the M3 is to an ES. An M3 and an ES have completely different purposes. The GT-R, IS-F, M3, RS4, C63 have a very similar purpose. They are all very high performance, refined cars that can be driven everyday and actually have a bit of utility with a usable trunk space and tiny rear seats. The GT-R has a bit less luxury and a LOT more performance. The others have more luxury and less performance. It all depends on what you are looking for ultimately.

Unfortunately buyers of these cars are often into image and status more than anything else. This is what will give the M3, RS4, C63 the edge unfortunately.
Old 11-16-07, 10:35 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

7:38 was the time for a partially wet track. Imagine if it was dry.
Old 11-16-07, 11:29 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kan-O-Z
While I understand what you are saying, I don't think you can say the GT-R is to an IS-F as what the M3 is to an ES. An M3 and an ES have completely different purposes. The GT-R, IS-F, M3, RS4, C63 have a very similar purpose. They are all very high performance, refined cars that can be driven everyday and actually have a bit of utility with a usable trunk space and tiny rear seats. The GT-R has a bit less luxury and a LOT more performance. The others have more luxury and less performance. It all depends on what you are looking for ultimately.

Unfortunately buyers of these cars are often into image and status more than anything else. This is what will give the M3, RS4, C63 the edge unfortunately.
I think all Nissan has to do is to make a plush luxo Infiniti version of the GT-R and it'll be game over for all the others.
Old 11-17-07, 12:19 AM
n8236
Pole Position

People have to keep in mind of the brands' demographics.

Lexus caters to those in their late 20s and early 30s while Inifniti caters heavily on those most early 20s and 30s. The same principle applies to their cars, the IS-F is for the more practical minded while the GTR wants those who dun mind a bit more sport over luxury and doors.

People who say the GTR is a full blown track car is misinformed. I think the z06/porsche cars fit more in that category since they are w/o backseats and isn't exactly a touring car of any type.

I think it's great the GTR is finally here, I'm sick of those S4s and M3s all the time. Time for a new face!
Old 11-17-07, 12:24 AM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ba-b4
I think all Nissan has to do is to make a plush luxo Infiniti version of the GT-R and it'll be game over for all the others.
good joke.
Old 11-17-07, 08:40 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by iameric
Here's the 7:38 video around the Nurburgring. Yes and thanks for clearing that up the V-Spec will probably be released a good time after the GT-R hits the market.
Not street tires. It was revealed they were cut slicks.
Old 11-17-07, 02:16 PM
GlockMan9c
Rookie

Well I finally saw the IS-F in person today. I really really wanted to like it. I don't. Just looks like a IS250 with big wheels and a spoiler kit to me.

I would rather have a loaded G37S for $42K.

I love my GS350, but I just do not see $60K worth of car in the IS-F. I think they really blew it with the GS460 not being 400+hp That would have been the car for $60K ish

You can buy a used 500hp M5 for that.

BMW is coming out with a 4 door M3.

The BMW 335i is pumping out 400+ hp with simple upgrades.

Of course the GT-R is just out of its league.
Old 11-17-07, 02:17 PM
GlockMan9c
Rookie

Originally Posted by n8236
People have to keep in mind of the brands' demographics.

Lexus caters to those in their late 20s and early 30s while Inifniti caters heavily on those most early 20s and 30s.
Lexus caters to those in their late 20s? Is that a joke?

Old 11-17-07, 08:46 PM
Kan-O-Z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GlockMan9c
The BMW 335i is pumping out 400+ hp with simple upgrades.
Imagine simple upgrades on the GT-R. Like the 335i and Supra/300ZX/3000GT/RX-7, turbo cars are easy to mod. I also read somewhere that Nissan engineered all aspects of the GT-R to fully handle up to 700hp reliably!

Kan-O-Z
Old 11-17-07, 10:49 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Not street tires. It was revealed they were cut slicks.
really? where was this revealed? i thought i saw photos of the car and the tires and they were bridgstone street tires.

Quick Reply: Gt-r V Is-f