IS C Discussion about the convertible IS C model

Top won't go up - again

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-18, 08:56 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts
Default Top won't go up - again

I have a 2010 IS250C. Two years ago about this time the top would go down and not come up. When I pressed the button to close it, a long tone sounded. The dealer replaced a bad microswitch for $2200 and the top worked fine.

This past weekend the weather was nice enough to put the top down. This was not the first time this year. Parked the car in the garage with the top down and Monday morning when the wife got in the car to go to work, she tried to put the top up. Nothing happened, not even the error tone. When she told me this, I felt an immediate, excruciating pain in my wallet.

I went out to the car and opened the trunk and proceed to pound on anything and everything I could. I grabbed the sections of the top and wiggled them from side to side. Then I tried to raise the top. When I pressed the button, the top went up. This kind of thing scares me.

Since the weather has cooled down, I haven't put the top down again. I am somewhat afraid to do that, but this weekend will be warm again, so...
Old 03-20-18, 09:05 PM
Cronus1995
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

This is one of those things that really irks me about this car. A micro switch should never in a million years cost $2,200. I really want to put some kind of database together of how to retrofit a different micro switch or how to desolder a broken micro switch on to an otherwise good board.
Old 03-21-18, 09:23 AM
Mike246
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I'll echo that.

I am an electronics engineer by profession. As a generality microswitches come in a range of standard sizes, actions and terminals and produced by a finite number of manufacturers. For any given industry-standard microswitch there will be more than one source of supply. It is inconceivable that Lexus have had a part custom-made for them to fit on the IS-C back window.

I understand that this is a Panasonic-made part. Not the most common maker of microswitches but OK. Does anyone have any details of the part so that we members can help each other if in need? Maybe a Panasonic or Lexus part number, where and how it is fitted, a photo, schematic or anything similar.

Previous posts on this forum and others indicate that if this part fails Lexus instruct their dealer workshops to replace a much larger item, maybe the window itself which includes the offending part. In general a microswitch costs a few bucks, in most circumstances would not fail and in competent hands can be replaced.

Let's get to work!
Old 03-22-18, 02:23 AM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

I agree with you, Mike. I created a thread the last time with some photos of the assembly. The assembly has a short wire harness that is approximately 12 inches (30 cm) with 2 microswitches on it. If Lexus would make that wire harness available, the cost would be much less.

But this time the problem was/is something different as I did not get the error beep.

My thread from the last time:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...p-problem.html