IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

14 IS350 Brake pads - car lift adapters

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-21, 01:06 PM
richj11
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 14 IS350 Brake pads - car lift adapters

So, I have the luxury of a 10K 2 post lift in my garage. In the 10 years since I built my garage, I've never had an issue lifting any vehicle. The IS350 is new to me since October and I knew it needed brake pads, at least in the front. After reading here I ordered a full set of Akebono pads. They arrived, I pulled my IS in the stall and quickly found out it would be risky to lift the car with the standard lift pads I've been using for the last 10 years. The lift points (weld, pinch, whatever you want to call them) are easily accessible, but on the IS, there is little clearance to the sides of the pinch point and the standard rubber lined lift pads on my lift are about 4" across. It's probably always safer to use the proper adapter on the pinch points anyway to prevent doing something dumb and potentially folding them over. Anyway, a little research and soon a set of 4 pinch weld adapters were getting Amazon'd to my house. Success! I ordered the adapters with magnets in them. Stuck each one on the pinch weld, then easily lined up the lift arms and we're on our way. Glad I did this, the front brake pads had little lining left. The rears looked good, but I wanted a complete set of the Akebonos all the way around.

Pictures for those who like that stuff:

Yeah, I know it's dirty, I live down a gravel road

Pinch weld adapter

MUCH easier than lying on the ground

Definitely due for new brake pads

Obligatory underbody shot

Hard to see, but pinch adapter installed
The following 2 users liked this post by richj11:
arentz07 (12-15-21), kj07xk (12-15-21)
Old 12-15-21, 03:31 PM
kj07xk
Instructor

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts

Daaamn, nice lift, wish I had the overhead clearance for one.
Old 06-18-23, 12:16 AM
albertcado
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by richj11
So, I have the luxury of a 10K 2 post lift in my garage. In the 10 years since I built my garage, I've never had an issue lifting any vehicle. The IS350 is new to me since October and I knew it needed brake pads, at least in the front. After reading here I ordered a full set of Akebono pads. They arrived, I pulled my IS in the stall and quickly found out it would be risky to lift the car with the standard lift pads I've been using for the last 10 years. The lift points (weld, pinch, whatever you want to call them) are easily accessible, but on the IS, there is little clearance to the sides of the pinch point and the standard rubber lined lift pads on my lift are about 4" across. It's probably always safer to use the proper adapter on the pinch points anyway to prevent doing something dumb and potentially folding them over. Anyway, a little research and soon a set of 4 pinch weld adapters were getting Amazon'd to my house. Success! I ordered the adapters with magnets in them. Stuck each one on the pinch weld, then easily lined up the lift arms and we're on our way. Glad I did this, the front brake pads had little lining left. The rears looked good, but I wanted a complete set of the Akebonos all the way around.

Pictures for those who like that stuff:

Yeah, I know it's dirty, I live down a gravel road

Pinch weld adapter

MUCH easier than lying on the ground

Definitely due for new brake pads

Obligatory underbody shot

Hard to see, but pinch adapter installed
do those adapters stay put on the lift pads?