IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

TPMS woes

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-21, 09:02 AM
right360
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default TPMS woes

After waiting for the Michelin Pilot 4 Sports to finally arrive, I had them mounted at Costco.

Driving back, I noticed that the pressures were showing up as dashes, without the TPMS light being illuminated. I went through the reset process - no dice. After driving for a while, and a few start-stop cycles, the pressures showed up on the screen right after starting the car again.

Next day - same story. Went back to Costco, and they confirmed that all sensors are fine. They used four different scan tools to reprogram, and I was still getting no pressures on the dash. Then they asked to stop/start the car, and the pressures appeared.

Next day - same story. After driving for a couple of hours, the pressures showed up on the dash after the third or fourth ignition cycle.

What is going on? I never had issues with TPMS before the last tire swap, and I’ve gone through 4 sets of tires on this car.

Thanks!
Old 10-25-21, 04:51 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Based on what you've described, two ideas come to mind as to what is happening.
1. One or more of the TPMS sensor batteries are reaching the end of their service life. The batteries are supposed to last approx. 10 years, but others have reported them needing replacement after 7-8 years. The battery is not replaceable...you need to change to entire sensor.
2. One or more of the TPMS sensors were damaged during the tire replacement and replaced by an aftermarket sensor. Aftermarket sensors are notorious for not consistently showing the pressure.

Since the pressures are showing up at some point, that means the sensor ID codes are programmed into the vehicle...so that eliminates that being an issue.
Can they check the sensor voltage with their scan tools?
Old 10-25-21, 06:40 PM
right360
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
I was also thinking that maybe they messed up a sensor during the install and swapped for a universal one. No clue, and no mention of it in the write-up. When they checked the sensors at each wheel, all the voltages come back as OK. No actual voltage value, though.

But given that everything was working before the tire change, I'm inclined to think that the sensors are fine (unless they were damaged in the process).
Old 10-26-21, 05:50 AM
truu
Pit Crew

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

I have the same issue where at some start ups it would have the pressures, some start ups it would display the double dash. Personally, I just dealt with it since during the summer I have aftermarket wheels with no TPMS.

Based on what you've described, two ideas come to mind as to what is happening.
1. One or more of the TPMS sensor batteries are reaching the end of their service life. The batteries are supposed to last approx. 10 years, but others have reported them needing replacement after 7-8 years. The battery is not replaceable...you need to change to entire sensor.
2. One or more of the TPMS sensors were damaged during the tire replacement and replaced by an aftermarket sensor. Aftermarket sensors are notorious for not consistently showing the pressure.

Since the pressures are showing up at some point, that means the sensor ID codes are programmed into the vehicle...so that eliminates that being an issue.
Great points above which might explain my issue. I have the TPMS swapped other to another set of wheels once and I have a 2014 MY.
Old 10-27-21, 10:57 AM
syed4gr
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Are you me? Lol I had the same tires installed at Costco last month and had the same issue. Went through the ringer but basically ended up resetting the TPMS (press button for 3 seconds with ignition on) at cold pressure and driving like 50 miles in one go. That seems to have fixed my issue.
Old 10-27-21, 11:25 AM
right360
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by syed4gr
Are you me? Lol I had the same tires installed at Costco last month and had the same issue.
Wow, this gives me hope. Thanks!!
Old 10-27-21, 11:45 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by syed4gr
Are you me? Lol I had the same tires installed at Costco last month and had the same issue. Went through the ringer but basically ended up resetting the TPMS (press button for 3 seconds with ignition on) at cold pressure and driving like 50 miles in one go. That seems to have fixed my issue.
It certainly worth a shot...however that shouldn't have really changed anything.

The Reset button for the TPMS resets the threshold pressure.
For example...if you pump all the tires up to 36PSI and press the reset button for 3 seconds with ignition on, that tells the ECU that's your starting threshold. If the pressures drop a fixed value below 36 PSI, let's say to 6PSI (making the tires 30PSI), the ECU will turn on the warning light.
However, if after setting the threshold pressure at 36PSI you decide to increase them all to 40PSI, but not press the reset button, then even if the tires drop 6PSI to 34PSI, the warning light will not come on...the tires would have to still drop to 30PSI (10PSI less) because the threshold pressure is still 36PSI.
So, resetting the TPMS with the button shouldn't effect the fact of the display even showing you the pressure.
Old 10-27-21, 11:56 AM
ShrinkDoc
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Same issue. Discovered that when they changed the tires, they put each wheel on in a different side than the original. Took the computer about a week (20 starts) to figure out which wheel was where. Thereafter, no issues.
Old 10-30-21, 01:54 PM
right360
Driver School Candidate

After ten days of dashes instead of pressures, I took it to America’s Tire and they got me on my way in two minutes. So odd that Costco couldn’t get it right.

I gave the tech a six-pack for helping out. Awesome place.
Old 10-30-21, 03:22 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by right360
After ten days of dashes instead of pressures, I took it to America’s Tire and they got me on my way in two minutes. So odd that Costco couldn’t get it right.

I gave the tech a six-pack for helping out. Awesome place.
Did they say what the issue was? Or how they fixed it?
Old 10-30-21, 05:06 PM
right360
Driver School Candidate

Did they say what the issue was? Or how they fixed it?
I spoke too soon. Just got back in the car and the dashes are back ;(
Old 10-30-21, 08:42 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

I spoke too soon. Just got back in the car and the dashes are back ;(
For the dashes to appear during the first few minutes of driving is not uncommon...anything after 20 minutes and there is still something wrong.
Old 11-02-21, 10:36 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,374 Likes on 1,708 Posts

For the dashes to appear during the first few minutes of driving is not uncommon...anything after 20 minutes and there is still something wrong.
I thought the dashes always appear at startup until you start driving at which point the system updates?
Old 11-02-21, 10:42 AM
right360
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I thought the dashes always appear at startup until you start driving at which point the system updates?
At cold start, the dashes usually appear for less than a minute. When the car was recently driven, I'll usually get pressure readings right away.

At least that was the case before that fateful tire swap at Costco two weeks ago.

Old 11-02-21, 11:43 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Correct.
At cold start, the dashes usually appear for less than a minute. When the car was recently driven, I'll usually get pressure readings right away.

At least that was the case before that fateful tire swap at Costco two weeks ago.
Has anyone tried erasing the TPMS sensor codes from the vehicle and reprogramming them? I sure they have, but thought I'd ask.

Quick Reply: TPMS woes