IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Cluster swap with F sport

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-21, 10:01 AM
Huyxxj
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cluster swap with F sport

Since the Lexus dealer installs after market intakes, exhausts, and mods.. Is it possible for them to swap the base model cluster with an F sport one-if I bought one?
Old 06-07-21, 10:12 AM
pngo
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

I’m not sure, but ID suggest you try DIY. It’s a 30 minute job with basic tools
Old 06-07-21, 10:22 AM
Huyxxj
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pngo
I’m not sure, but ID suggest you try DIY. It’s a 30 minute job with basic tools
have you tried this before? If so we’re there any warning lights on the clusters popping up afterwards? I don’t want to void my warranty if anything goes wrong-which is why I was wondering if a dealer could do it
Old 06-07-21, 10:29 AM
sqlboy2000
Advanced

Received 399 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by Huyxxj
have you tried this before? If so we’re there any warning lights on the clusters popping up afterwards? I don’t want to void my warranty if anything goes wrong-which is why I was wondering if a dealer could do it
The dealer can do anything, it's just always a question of how much they will charge you for it. My guess is a lot.
The following users liked this post:
Huyxxj (06-07-21)
Old 06-07-21, 10:30 AM
swaangin
Racer

Received 376 Likes on 285 Posts

There was someone on the forum and on eBay selling pre-programmed clusters for around a couple hundred bucks. He made sure it was compatible with your car model to avoid any warning lights. Dealer going to charge an arm and a leg for it
Huyxxj (06-07-21)
Old 06-07-21, 10:39 AM
Huyxxj
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by swaangin
There was someone on the forum and on eBay selling pre-programmed clusters for around a couple hundred bucks. He made sure it was compatible with your car model to avoid any warning lights. Dealer going to charge an arm and a leg for it
i would definitely install myself, but I have no experience messing with the interior stuff. I couldn’t find any guide or video for the 3rd gen IS. If there is I might do it myself.
Old 06-07-21, 10:55 AM
sqlboy2000
Advanced

i would definitely install myself, but I have no experience messing with the interior stuff. I couldn’t find any guide or video for the 3rd gen IS. If there is I might do it myself.
So this guy has an RC-F, but it should be the same process. He cracks me up, I swear he takes apart his dashboard in half his videos.
Should give you somewhat of an idea what's involved at least getting to the cluster. (skip ahead to like 3:35 to get to the dash removal)

Huyxxj (06-07-21)
Old 06-07-21, 10:59 AM
Huyxxj
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sqlboy2000
So this guy has an RC-F, but it should be the same process. He cracks me up, I swear he takes apart his dashboard in half his videos.
Should give you somewhat of an idea what's involved at least getting to the cluster. (skip ahead to like 3:35 to get to the dash removal)

https://youtu.be/ohqDSpuOk7E?t=218
that seems easy enough! I should probably find a seller who programs mileage on the cluster.
Old 06-07-21, 11:05 AM
whoismiked
Advanced

Received 286 Likes on 193 Posts

You need to be absolutely sure that ther cluster you buy came from the same year model of your car, and if it does or does not have navigation. If the year and that option match, it should be plug and play

It's funny you bring this topic up, I'm actually doing this swap myself, today lol. My cluster is being delivered today, I'll let you know how it goes.

Last edited by whoismiked; 06-09-21 at 08:25 AM.
Old 06-07-21, 11:07 AM
sqlboy2000
Advanced

Originally Posted by whoismiked
You need to be absolutely sure that ther cluster you buy came from the same year model of your car, and if it does or does not have navigation. If the year and that option match, it should be plug and play with no lights.

It's funny you bring this topic up, I'm actually doing this swap myself, today lol. My cluster is being delivered today, I'll let you know how it goes.
OOC - How do you handle preserving the mileage on the car? Or does the cluster just display the mileage and the actual value is stored elsewhere?
Old 06-07-21, 11:09 AM
Huyxxj
Driver School Candidate

You need to be absolutely sure that ther cluster you buy came from the same year model of your car, and if it does or does not have navigation. If the year and that option match, it should be plug and play with no lights.

Send photos of the before and after!! Also since the Lexus IS 200t is the same as the IS 300 i guess it should be no problem. Haven’t been able to find a cluster for my 2018 IS 300 yet
Old 06-07-21, 11:14 AM
whoismiked
Advanced

Originally Posted by sqlboy2000
OOC - How do you handle preserving the mileage on the car? Or does the cluster just display the mileage and the actual value is stored elsewhere?
The milage is stored on the cluster, after I install it and confirm everything is working properly I will take it back out and send it in for a milage and vin correction service, like this one, or similar: https://www.taninautoelectronix.com/...ge-correction/

Send photos of the before and after!! Also since the Lexus IS 200t is the same as the IS 300 i guess it should be no problem. Haven’t been able to find a cluster for my 2018 IS 300 yet
Will do!
yeah it's a pain to find a cluster that matches your year and option, especially since a lot of the ebay sellers list it as fitting 2014-16, when, at least in the base to f-sport swap scenario, it is not plug and play unless it's same year, so you have to find a seller that lists the donor vehicle specs
sqlboy2000 (06-07-21)
Old 06-07-21, 11:19 AM
Huyxxj
Driver School Candidate

The milage is stored on the cluster, after I install it and confirm everything is working properly I will take it back out and send it in for a milage and vin correction service, like this one, or similar: https://www.taninautoelectronix.com/...ge-correction/

Will do!
yeah it's a pain to find a cluster that matches your year and option, especially since a lot of the ebay sellers list it as fitting 2014-16, when, at least in the base to f-sport swap scenario, it is not plug and play unless it's same year, so you have to find a seller that lists the donor vehicle specs
probably just gonna go with this one. It’s a year previous than mine-but the closest one I can find. I think I might bring it in to the dealer if they can do it for around 200, I should have free service with the dealer still. https://www.ebay.com/itm/25494986545...IaAk6JEALw_wcB
Old 06-07-21, 11:20 AM
whoismiked
Advanced

Also, I seriously doubt a dealership will do this for you unless you are cool with a tech or service manager.

The part # on the F-Sport cluster will not say it's compatible with the base model, even though it is (if same year), in their computer. At least my dealership, idk about others, will refuse to install anything that their computer tells them is a not a correct matching part #.

Also, a dealer only orders new parts, so unless you are driving a semi new IS, I doubt they could even order, lets say a 2014 new model cluster.

Luckily removing the cluster in our car is a 10 min job
Old 06-07-21, 11:22 AM
whoismiked
Advanced

probably just gonna go with this one. It’s a year previous than mine-but the closest one I can find. I think I might bring it in to the dealer if they can do it for around 200, I should have free service with the dealer still. https://www.ebay.com/itm/25494986545...IaAk6JEALw_wcB
Talk to your service dept before making this purchase, I am betting they wont provide this service for you But that doesn't matter much since it's a 10 min DIY job.

BUT you will likely get dash lights and things not working since it's not the same year... or even model. Even though the plugs are the same, the pins are in different locations from year to year and model to model to model. Closest you can find is not gonna work with this swap. Keep looking. Do not buy this.

Last edited by whoismiked; 06-07-21 at 11:43 AM.

Quick Reply: Cluster swap with F sport