IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Android and Apple Carplay - Is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-21, 10:21 AM
Zerotec
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
So you don’t see an option to update zlink in the app setting? Yeah this is weird not able to use iPhone with hotspot something isn’t right.
Well, in the app, I have an option to update in which I’ve clicked before but it says it’s already up to date. There’s nothing to update at all.
Old 06-20-21, 11:30 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Zerotec
Well, in the app, I have an option to update in which I’ve clicked before but it says it’s already up to date. There’s nothing to update at all.
Then you have latest version. For CarPlay automatic start you may have to check setting in Android system instead of zlink app setting. Every Android unit has its own different setup depending on the skin they used.
Old 06-20-21, 12:36 PM
Zerotec
Driver

Then you have latest version. For CarPlay automatic start you may have to check setting in Android system instead of zlink app setting. Every Android unit has its own different setup depending on the skin they used.
Are you talking about a system update for the Android unit itself? Or are you talking about a setting in the unit that allows me to open z-link automatically? I feel like I have looked everywhere for an automatic start up.
Old 06-20-21, 12:45 PM
Jazzrock
Advanced

Received 192 Likes on 152 Posts

Are you talking about a system update for the Android unit itself? Or are you talking about a setting in the unit that allows me to open z-link automatically? I feel like I have looked everywhere for an automatic start up.
In my Lexion unit there is a Settings app where there is a box to check to connect automatically.
Sad it's so difficult to do the same in yours. Hopefully the seller or manufacturer can answer this.
The following users liked this post:
Zerotec (06-20-21)
Old 06-20-21, 01:31 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

There is a separate setting for Android system there might be an option to start CarPlay automatically. If not then you probably don’t have this option.
Old 06-20-21, 01:59 PM
Zerotec
Driver

There is a separate setting for Android system there might be an option to start CarPlay automatically. If not then you probably don’t have this option.
I do have settings where it says “open by default” but I’m not able to click on anything at all. There’s no box to check or tap. Maybe it comes down to what version of Z-Link a person has?

Old 06-20-21, 04:51 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

I do have settings where it says “open by default” but I’m not able to click on anything at all. There’s no box to check or tap. Maybe it comes down to what version of Z-Link a person has?
This isn’t the setting for CarPlay automatic start it will look something like a toggle button. Maybe @Jazzrock can provide the pic of this setting, I’m not using zlink app on my unit. I’m using external dongle for wireless CarPlay made by Carlinkit and it’s different app called Autokit. I’ll take a screenshot of my setting.
Zerotec (06-20-21)
Old 06-20-21, 07:00 PM
Jazzrock
Advanced

This isn’t the setting for CarPlay automatic start it will look something like a toggle button. Maybe @Jazzrock can provide the pic of this setting, I’m not using zlink app on my unit. I’m using external dongle for wireless CarPlay made by Carlinkit and it’s different app called Autokit. I’ll take a screenshot of my setting.
I hope these pictures help. The first one is showing CarPlay automatically connecting. The last picture shows an app in CarPlay that says Car underneath the Lexus logo. That
is where I go to get into the Lexion menu, the second photo. That second photo also has Aux at the far right end as well, which is just by way of explanation, not needed here. I click on the Setting and it goes to settings, of course.
The next photo shows the settings. I click on the drop down arrow on the right where it says CarPlay, which takes me to the next photo. You can see the setting for
Wireless Auto Connection is on. It's a toggle, as Dojoman said. It was off when I first got it from the shop. I'm wondering about Carplay Keeps The Foreground, and if
I need this to be on for any reason? Sorry these photos are a bit out of order. I hope this does help the situation.

Old 06-20-21, 09:05 PM
Zerotec
Driver

Originally Posted by Jazzrock
I hope these pictures help. The first one is showing CarPlay automatically connecting. The last picture shows an app in CarPlay that says Car underneath the Lexus logo. That
is where I go to get into the Lexion menu, the second photo. That second photo also has Aux at the far right end as well, which is just by way of explanation, not needed here. I click on the Setting and it goes to settings, of course.
The next photo shows the settings. I click on the drop down arrow on the right where it says CarPlay, which takes me to the next photo. You can see the setting for
Wireless Auto Connection is on. It's a toggle, as Dojoman said. It was off when I first got it from the shop. I'm wondering about Carplay Keeps The Foreground, and if
I need this to be on for any reason? Sorry these photos are a bit out of order. I hope this does help the situation.

I appreciate the pictures! Yeah, I’m not seeing any sort of setting as far as “CarPlay” on my unit. I’m going to double check right now. What the confusing part is, is that another individual who has this unit says his starts up automatically. Maybe this is because his hotspot automatically starts up which allows the CarPlay to connect?
Jazzrock (06-20-21)
Old 06-20-21, 09:18 PM
Zerotec
Driver

I’ll take any pictures I can get! Maybe it will look simile to mine.
Jazzrock (06-20-21)
Old 06-20-21, 09:53 PM
Zerotec
Driver

Alright so, I ended up resetting all Bluetooth and network services on the unit. I connected to the Bluetooth and when I went to click Z-Link, the hotspot had started up automatically. Sadly, after getting back into my car a couple of hours later, Bluetooth isn't wanting to connect automatically but the hotspot now will whenever Z-Link is opened. I am still trying to figure out how to get Z-Link opened up automatically when I start my car but so far no luck. I am not seeing any sort of setting for it anywhere on this unit.
Old 06-20-21, 10:17 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

I think I know why it’s not automatically connecting. It’s the hotspot because it connects to Android unit via WiFi and it disconnects wireless CarPlay that’s likely why it won’t automatically start. The way wireless CarPlay works is first it connects to your phone with Bluetooth and once it’s connected it uses WiFi connection in your phone to project CarPlay from your phone. Bluetooth does not have enough bandwidth for data. You should turn off hotspot on your iPhone it’s not needed for CarPlay.

Also try to connect iPhone with usb cable to your Android unit to see CarPlay start up automatically. And then turn off your car wait a few min with phone plugged in and start the car again to see CarPlay comes on.

Last edited by dojoman; 06-20-21 at 10:25 PM.
Jazzrock (06-20-21)
Old 06-20-21, 10:21 PM
Jazzrock
Advanced

I think I know why it’s not automatically connecting. It’s the hotspot because it connects to Android unit via WiFi and it disconnects wireless CarPlay that’s likely why it won’t automatically start. The way wireless CarPlay works is first it connects to your phone with Bluetooth and once it’s connected it uses WiFi connection in your phone to project CarPlay from your phone. Bluetooth does not have enough bandwidth for data. You should turn off hotspot on your iPhone.
Yes, I don't use a hotspot on my phone.
dojoman (06-20-21)
Old 06-20-21, 10:28 PM
Zerotec
Driver

I think I know why it’s not automatically connecting. It’s the hotspot because it connects to Android unit via WiFi and it disconnects wireless CarPlay that’s likely why it won’t automatically start. The way wireless CarPlay works is first it connects to your phone with Bluetooth and once it’s connected it uses WiFi connection in your phone to project CarPlay from your phone. Bluetooth does not have enough bandwidth for data. You should turn off hotspot on your iPhone.
I don't use hotspot on my phone either. When I refer to hotspot, I am referring to the android units hotspot. So that means my phone is connecting to it giving me the WiFi. I get what you mean though. My unit connects to Bluetooth, when it connects to Bluetooth it initiates z-link. From there, your phone is connected to a WiFi connection which gives you CarPlay.

I am going to test out the USB cable and see if it starts up automatically. Someone else had suggested me that as well.
Jazzrock (06-20-21)
Old 06-20-21, 10:35 PM
Jazzrock
Advanced

What does "carplay keeps the foreground" mean and is it something I want to turn on?

Quick Reply: Android and Apple Carplay - Is it possible?