IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

what's going to break on my car next??

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-20, 09:22 AM
TLeexus
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
Default what's going to break on my car next??

fellow mouth breathers,

i have a 200t with about 40k miles ..... i know this is bit of a *****y question for a newer toyota, but ,,,, what's going to break on my car first? what's likely going to be my first major maint cost?
excluding brakes

and which service intervals are the most critical ones?

[before you yell at me, i'm also doing research on CL ... but wanted to start dialog here]

Last edited by TLeexus; 07-09-20 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-09-20, 09:35 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

just start parting out your car now and save yourself the future headache...
The following 2 users liked this post by davyjordi:
Jazzrock (07-09-20), MobileMike (07-09-20)
Old 07-09-20, 09:58 AM
TLeexus
Pit Crew

sorry, i'm old .... what does "parting out" mean
Old 07-09-20, 10:20 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,579 Posts

Probably water pump
turbo pressure regulator
LED DRL
brake pads
tires

potential later on: carbon deposits

maintenance like any other car. all oils and fluids and filters.
The following users liked this post:
TLeexus (07-09-20)
Old 07-09-20, 10:24 AM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 171 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Probably water pump
turbo pressure regulator
LED DRL
brake pads
tires

potential later on: carbon deposits

maintenance like any other car. all oils and fluids and filters.
Are the drl led known to be a weak point on 3is?
Old 07-09-20, 10:29 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by TLeexus
fellow mouth breathers,

i have a 200t with about 40k miles ..... i know this is bit of a *****y question for a newer toyota, but ,,,, what's going to break on my car first? what's likely going to be my first major maint cost?
excluding brakes

and which service intervals are the most critical ones?

[before you yell at me, i'm also doing research on CL ... but wanted to start dialog here]
I feel like maybe your initial post wasn't read completely by some of the responses.

First to go will likely be the pressure regulator...TSB to cover that.
Potentially next carbon deposits in the motor...which isn't really anything breaking, just seems to happen on the NX with the same motor...of course I suspect vehicle usage plays a factor.
Maybe the waterpump next...a couple have failed...but really not the end of the world.

Wear and tear items I don't really count...brakes (like you mentioned) and tires...they are designed to wear out, so shouldn't "break" per say

As it's a turbo motor, keep up with engine oil changes diligently.
Other fluids can be replaced as needed...most notably: tranny, diff, and coolant
Spark plugs...definitely want to keep on top of those with regular replacement intervals...as per owners manual if not sooner.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sasnuke:
Jazzrock (07-09-20), TLeexus (07-09-20)
Old 07-09-20, 11:14 AM
TLeexus
Pit Crew

dude, thank you for the reply

dumb question .... what does one do for carbon deposits?? is that just a service item as well?
Old 07-09-20, 11:26 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TLeexus
dude, thank you for the reply

dumb question .... what does one do for carbon deposits?? is that just a service item as well?
Some ways to mitigate the carbon deposits:
  • adding an oil catch can
  • Seafoam product for cleaning the intake and valves
  • In-tank fuel injector cleaner
  • Using Premium fuel diligently
Really using good gas and driving the car like it's meant to be driven should be good enough.
The following users liked this post:
TLeexus (07-09-20)
Old 07-09-20, 11:38 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

I had 2IS for 5 yrs and now 3IS for 7 yrs knock on wood nothing major items have broken. The only thing was battery drain issue on 3IS aside from that it's pretty much bullet proof.
I only hope the radio and F-sport gauge will not break next 2-3yrs these items are going out for lots of 2014 owners.
Old 07-09-20, 12:08 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah the LED DRLs are known to fail. And so are the amps for the radio, sometimes the blend door actuators for the AC.

Carbon deposits as I said would require a top end rebuild. Short of changing your oil and filter frequently, not much else you can do to mitigate it. It's up to the design of the powertrain at that point.

There was a post on this forum from a Lexus tech who tore down and photographed two turbo-4 lexus engines which were replaced under warranty for carbon deposits causing misfires. the reality of direct injection. Both engines had around 60k on them.
Old 07-09-20, 12:19 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by E46CT
Yeah the LED DRLs are known to fail. And so are the amps for the radio, sometimes the blend door actuators for the AC.

Carbon deposits as I said would require a top end rebuild. Short of changing your oil and filter frequently, not much else you can do to mitigate it. It's up to the design of the powertrain at that point.

There was a post on this forum from a Lexus tech who tore down and photographed two turbo-4 lexus engines which were replaced under warranty for carbon deposits causing misfires. the reality of direct injection. Both engines had around 60k on them.
Yeeaaah...let's dispel some myths right now.

LEDs - a handful have failed and it appears to be earlier years...OP has a 200t, so either 2016 or 2017
Amps - issue with 2014 models for sure...once again, OP has a 200t, so either 2016 or 2017
Blend doors - there has been a number of cases of this, but mostly earlier models
Carbon deposits as I said would require a top end rebuild - what are you rebuilding exactly? There's are options before you start to pull the cylinder head off...and once again, this is an issue on the NX, not the IS, even though it's the same engine. There may be reasons that this is happening on the NX that are beyond the fact it's the same engine

There was a post on this forum from a Lexus tech who tore down and photographed two turbo-4 lexus engines which were replaced under warranty for carbon deposits causing misfires. the reality of direct injection. Both engines had around 60k on them. - True, and both engines were from an NX if I remember correctly.
The following 4 users liked this post by Sasnuke:
blueless (07-09-20), davyjordi (07-11-20), dteskmo (07-09-20), Jazzrock (07-09-20)
Old 07-09-20, 01:44 PM
GaryJG
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 66 Posts

You need spark plugs at 40,000 miles.
Old 07-09-20, 02:02 PM
pngo
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
There was a post on this forum from a Lexus tech who tore down and photographed two turbo-4 lexus engines which were replaced under warranty for carbon deposits causing misfires. the reality of direct injection. Both engines had around 60k on them. - True, and both engines were from an NX if I remember correctly.
He didn’t specify if they were both an NX or not, only that he was posting in the NX forum specifically instead of the IS/RC forums. But yeah nonetheless it seems like nothing has come outside of those two cases so far.
Old 07-09-20, 02:13 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Don't worry...its a Lexus. I would do an Italian tune up daily and just enjoy the car. I had my IS350 for 5 years, almost 60K and not a single thing went wrong with it. Sold it to family and they put a ton of miles and still, nothing wrong with it.
Old 07-09-20, 02:52 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Most college students/ young people/ young executives, etc. don't go to enthusiast forums to report problems. There's a Lexus tech on Reddit who says they are seeing quite a few Lexus 4-turbos come in with misfire codes due to clogged valves/valve seats due to carbon deposits. Sort of an insider's look at what's going on. Food for thought.

Quick Reply: what's going to break on my car next??