IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Engine Ground Kit info - 2014+ specific info

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-20, 02:11 AM
GR3Y5H3ART
Lead Lap

Received 102 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Engine Ground Kit info - 2014+ specific info

so i did a Search and found only a few Threads even with the mention of a Engine Grounding Kit

i search for 2IS and found a bunch of great info and even a fellow Lexus owner who made his own

i would assume our 3IS is going to be different from a 2IS engine layout so a ground wire may be longer here and shorter somewhere else?

such an easy thing to do and i've done this in the past and for the price...$20-30 (DIY) to Teck Grounding Kit for 2IS ($70-80) to something like HKS Circle Earth System ($100-200)....well worth it

i've done DIY and bought pre-made but its such an easy thing to do and from the positive reviews i've read from 2IS Members, i want to do this very soon

any info specific to the 2014+ to current Gen. Engine Grounding Kits installed will be very much appreciated!
Old 02-15-20, 02:48 AM
GR3Y5H3ART
Lead Lap

For reference:

HKS Circle Earth terminal holder + gold terminals + HKS Purple ground wires ($100-200):...for some reason this looks too cluttered for the 3IS

Engine Ground Kit info - 2014+ specific info-gbivgll.jpg

i think something more like this:

Engine Ground Kit info - 2014+ specific info-tr1ytau.jpg

F Sport Blue:

Engine Ground Kit info - 2014+ specific info-w75ndyv.jpg

Rail holder:

Engine Ground Kit info - 2014+ specific info-j6sudmu.jpg

The following users liked this post:
whoismiked (02-15-20)
Old 02-15-20, 03:39 PM
ex00
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Is there a need for a grounding kit on these cars? I was looking into it previously but didn't really see all the expected benefits except more wires in the engine bay. As terminals get corroded over time wouldn't it be beneficial to freshen them up?
Old 02-16-20, 05:27 AM
GR3Y5H3ART
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ex00
Is there a need for a grounding kit on these cars? I was looking into it previously but didn't really see all the expected benefits except more wires in the engine bay. As terminals get corroded over time wouldn't it be beneficial to freshen them up?

i'm going to keep gather info on it...i.e. the ground points for the 2IS should be similar to 3IS

i agree about adding more wires but if it were black or F Sport Blue, i think it could even look good

the 2IS Members on here posted POSITIVE benefits and this has always been one of the first things i do because it can be DIY'd
Old 02-16-20, 06:06 PM
GR3Y5H3ART
Lead Lap

i didn't see this info when i Searched 2IS Sub-forums for (grounding kit) or (ground kits) but there was some helpful info

straight from our 2014+ specific Shop/Service Manuals:

GROUND POINTS

Engine Ground Kit info - 2014+ specific info-uy5rbhq.jpg

CHARGING SYSTEM since Alternator should def. be Grounded

Engine Ground Kit info - 2014+ specific info-loxnr41.jpg

Engine Ground Kit info - 2014+ specific info-wox3x8g.jpg

Engine Ground Kit info - 2014+ specific info-dmzfyyz.jpg
Old 02-18-20, 08:16 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,089 Likes on 1,578 Posts

I'd swear by it too if I spent $90 on a bunch of neon green wires.

This was all the rage when I was 19 I remember.

Engineers know best. Manufacturers have something these ebay/ricer companies don't: multi-million dollar super computers performing billions of calculations per second using proprietary secret inside data on all their powertrains, electrical systems, and sub-systems. Imagine that, thousands of degree'd professional engineers doing the hard work. They are able to tell exactly what each component is doing at any given RPM under a variety of scenarios and determine exactly what the car needs to function. For something as basic as grounding, you've bet they've got this covered.

Guys look hard to spend leftover change for an upgrade on their rides, but you have to look no further cause all the engineers did the hard work for you. All you have to do is enjoy the ride.
athanato (02-19-20)
Old 02-18-20, 12:42 PM
whoismiked
Advanced

Received 286 Likes on 193 Posts

I'd have to agree with E46CT on this one, I don't see a grounding kit benefiting a modern Lexus in any way whatsoever.

Grounding kits are a good idea in a motor swapped or custom built car, and maybe even just really old cars that wires/connections have degraded over time, but this will not provide anything of any real benefit to modern Lexus components, imo.

Last edited by whoismiked; 02-18-20 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-18-20, 01:58 PM
GR3Y5H3ART
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by E46CT
I'd swear by it too if I spent $90 on a bunch of neon green wires.

This was all the rage when I was 19 I remember.

Engineers know best. Manufacturers have something these ebay/ricer companies don't: multi-million dollar super computers performing billions of calculations per second using proprietary secret inside data on all their powertrains, electrical systems, and sub-systems. Imagine that, thousands of degree'd professional engineers doing the hard work. They are able to tell exactly what each component is doing at any given RPM under a variety of scenarios and determine exactly what the car needs to function. For something as basic as grounding, you've bet they've got this covered.

Guys look hard to spend leftover change for an upgrade on their rides, but you have to look no further cause all the engineers did the hard work for you. All you have to do is enjoy the ride.

i hear ya and do agree but i mean with certain things, they don't account for BETTER aftermarket parts like Audio equipment

basically the consensus on MY.IS is its worth it, even if you DIY:

https://www.my.is/threads/diy-ground...nstall.347905/

most of the 2IS Members on ClubLexus disagree its necessity and even Members who have it, say its more visual eye candy

i plan on upgrading my Audio System eventually and i've always started with an Engine Grounding Kit. It may not be REQUIRED but if its like $40-80 bucks, i mean why not?

my main thing is i want it to look like it came from the factory so either Black or F Sport blue wiring

i know HP gains is minimal if any but if it makes my aftermarket audio system hit harder or more cleanly, i think i will be the guinea pig so to speak...
Old 02-18-20, 02:04 PM
GR3Y5H3ART
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by whoismiked
I'd have to agree with E46CT on this one, I don't see a grounding kit benefiting a modern Lexus in any way whatsoever.

Grounding kits are a good idea in a motor swapped or custom built car, and maybe even just really old cars that wires/connections have degraded over time, but this will not provide anything of any real benefit to modern Lexus components, imo.

at the very least, i don't see no other reason not to at least do the Big 3. here's a long read from Kicker:

Power Wire And The Big 3 Upgrade
https://www.kicker.com/app/misc/supp...ig3Upgrade.pdf
whoismiked (02-18-20)
Old 02-18-20, 03:01 PM
whoismiked
Advanced

Originally Posted by GR3Y5H3ART
It may not be REQUIRED but if its like $40-80 bucks, i mean why not?
at the very least, i don't see no other reason not to at least do the Big 3.
Yeah can't argue with "why not" , I am not saying don't do it, just that you don't need to.

I've been running a pretty powerful (900W RMS) audio system in my 3IS for quite a while now and the only thing I did was upgrade my battery and haven't had any issues so far.

If you are planning to run some insane competition audio system that ripples the earth then I could totally see justifying an upgraded alternator and grounding kit.

But as you said, and I agree, there is no harm in doing this relatively cheap mod to your car if you want to
GR3Y5H3ART (02-18-20)
Old 02-18-20, 08:55 PM
GR3Y5H3ART
Lead Lap

i don't mind playing guinea pig as i didn't see much info for it specific to 3IS

do you have a Capacitor for your system?

i've ran some big systems but wayyy too old to be listening to music that loud...i think biggest was 3x 15's during college for about a week

if even the Big 3 improves on some thin ground wire and makes the engine a bit more "eye candy" i be okay with it
whoismiked (02-19-20)
Old 02-19-20, 04:25 AM
whoismiked
Advanced

Originally Posted by GR3Y5H3ART
i don't mind playing guinea pig as i didn't see much info for it specific to 3IS

do you have a Capacitor for your system?

i've ran some big systems but wayyy too old to be listening to music that loud...i think biggest was 3x 15's during college for about a week

if even the Big 3 improves on some thin ground wire and makes the engine a bit more "eye candy" i be okay with it
Right on, show some pics after you do it. And I agree, blue or black wires would look best.

Nope, I don't run a cap in my current system, I figured I'd might need to add one, but after installing my current setup I've have had zero issues, I'm still getting consistent voltage to everything, no lights dimming, ect, everything seems to be working great
Old 03-25-20, 08:27 PM
GR3Y5H3ART
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by whoismiked
Right on, show some pics after you do it. And I agree, blue or black wires would look best.

Nope, I don't run a cap in my current system, I figured I'd might need to add one, but after installing my current setup I've have had zero issues, I'm still getting consistent voltage to everything, no lights dimming, ect, everything seems to be working great

good to hear. this has been put on hold with the Covid-19. Will try to get this one done once we find a cure and/or the flattening in USA starts