IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Thud sound when going from P to R/R to D/R to P

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-19, 07:00 AM
kaushala
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thud sound when going from P to R/R to D/R to P

Hi guys I just got my 2016 is350F awd (automatic) recently at 25K miles. I have been noticing a clunk/thud noise in the car whenever I shift gears from park to reverse or reverse to drive and vice versa. Once I am driving, no sound whatsoever and everything is smooth.

It’s sometimes happens when I am reversing to park in the driveway or putting the car in D to get out of the driveway. And it only happens as I am changing the gear itself for a maybe split second or two.

The car has been serviced relatively every six/eight months since it’s release in 2016. Also, I just got it serviced last month, and dealer said everything checks out fine.

Is this sound normal or do I need to make a trip to the dealer again to fix/prevent from further damage? Has other people noticed the same noise?

Thanks,
KA
The following users liked this post:
momak (03-27-20)
Old 06-02-19, 07:39 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,700 Likes on 1,786 Posts

I have a 2017 IS350 AWD (F Sport) and I don't have that "thump" you describe...When it happens, is your car leveled or on an inclined driveway/parking spot?

Now if your dealer is nearby, it is always wise to have them take a look at it just to have your mind at ease, or take another IS (used) and try to see if it does the same. What appears normal to one may seem abnormal to another and that is the problem with trying to diagnose a problem through a forum.

My 2 cents - Keep us posted and CONGRATS on your new to you IS - It is a great car! What color combo did you get?
Old 06-02-19, 09:26 AM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

Congrats on the purchase!

Youll prolly have to try and record the sound for us to make an opinion of it.

My vehicle makes a "thud" noise when going anywhere along the PRND range. To me, its normal, and kind of a reassuring feeling that the gear is properly engaged. Had my vehicle since 26k miles, and now at 43k.
Old 06-02-19, 10:43 AM
logix1229
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I recently bought a 2014 IS 350 and mine does the same thing. There was another thread on here recently of someone saying the same thing and everyone said it was a common thing. We were all experiencing it.
Old 06-02-19, 10:59 PM
kaushala
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wthrman2
I have a 2017 IS350 AWD (F Sport) and I don't have that "thump" you describe...When it happens, is your car leveled or on an inclined driveway/parking spot?

Now if your dealer is nearby, it is always wise to have them take a look at it just to have your mind at ease, or take another IS (used) and try to see if it does the same. What appears normal to one may seem abnormal to another and that is the problem with trying to diagnose a problem through a forum.

My 2 cents - Keep us posted and CONGRATS on your new to you IS - It is a great car! What color combo did you get?
no, the parking spot is leveled, so not sure. I did some research and learned that that may happen if you change gears too fast or while. So, i think i may have been guilty of doing that for all the times the noise occurred. Today, i was careful and waited bit to change gears and no noise whatsoever. i'll keep an eye on it continually though to see if anything changes, but for now i'll wait before going back to the dealer.

And its Ultra white with red interior! Love everything about it so far!
Old 06-02-19, 11:05 PM
kaushala
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RageRacerM
Congrats on the purchase!

Youll prolly have to try and record the sound for us to make an opinion of it.

My vehicle makes a "thud" noise when going anywhere along the PRND range. To me, its normal, and kind of a reassuring feeling that the gear is properly engaged. Had my vehicle since 26k miles, and now at 43k.
thank you. its an awesome car. love it alot.

I'll try to record it. but i think it may happen due to changing gears too fast and sometimes my late-***-to-everything often tends to do that, so i'll just have to be little more careful moving on and see if the noise goes away.
Old 06-02-19, 11:14 PM
kaushala
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by logix1229
I recently bought a 2014 IS 350 and mine does the same thing. There was another thread on here recently of someone saying the same thing and everyone said it was a common thing. We were all experiencing it.
oh ok good, phew. that is assuring. thanks.
The following users liked this post:
momak (03-27-20)