2015 IS250 F Sport Extended Warranty Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-19, 05:37 AM
lpandroc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 IS250 F Sport Extended Warranty Question

Hi all

Just want to get some feedback as to what I should do here and also your thoughts on cost please.

Looking at an extended warranty for my wifes 2015 IS250 F Sport. Currently has 35,000 miles on it and plan tot keep it another 3- 4 years. Factory warranty ends on 9/6/19 and I live in Florida

Should I look at getting the Gold or Platinum level?

Any chance I can get a better price here based on what I was quoted or is there room for negotiation with dealer?

Gold - $1725.00
Plat - $2125

Thanks for your help
Old 05-25-19, 08:02 AM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 171 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by lpandroc
Hi all

Just want to get some feedback as to what I should do here and also your thoughts on cost please.

Looking at an extended warranty for my wifes 2015 IS250 F Sport. Currently has 35,000 miles on it and plan tot keep it another 3- 4 years. Factory warranty ends on 9/6/19 and I live in Florida

Should I look at getting the Gold or Platinum level?

Any chance I can get a better price here based on what I was quoted or is there room for negotiation with dealer?

Gold - $1725.00
Plat - $2125

Thanks for your help
I bought a used 2015 is350 6 months ago, 1 week before the factory 4 year bumper to bumper warranty expired I bought the Lexus Platmium Warranty. I called every Lexus dealer in Canada (almost) to compare prices and see who would have best price. Because car was already bought I couldn’t negotiate more than 500$ off the price of the warranty. I eventually got the 8 year/140,000km warranty for around 2700$.... should be cheaper in the USA as prices in Canada are sky high for everything. Dealer told me had I bought the car from them and added warranty at time of purchase they could have given me warranty for 50% off.
so basically you should be able to negotiate at least $500 off the price, possibly more. There’s threads on ClubLexus of specific Toyota/Lexus dealers in particular states that sell them for crazy prices.
search Lexus extended warranty on clublexus.
Old 05-27-19, 04:42 PM
ShrinkDoc
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

There have been several threads on this over the years, my sense is that the consensus (>80%) is that the warranties are not worth it. If the car was a European car, absolutely yes, but for Toyota made cars with exceptional reliability, it might be better to bank the money. Nick, I think you got a great deal. I looked around for a similar warranty and was quoted in the $3500 range.
Old 05-27-19, 05:05 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Originally Posted by ShrinkDoc
There have been several threads on this over the years, my sense is that the consensus (>80%) is that the warranties are not worth it. If the car was a European car, absolutely yes, but for Toyota made cars with exceptional reliability, it might be better to bank the money. Nick, I think you got a great deal. I looked around for a similar warranty and was quoted in the $3500 range.
It’s my 6th car, first warranty I’ve bought. I figure just the radio/nav unit is around 3k to replace so even if just that breaks I’d be up. Plus the peace of mind is sooo comforting. The prices are kinda fixed, each dealer is within a few hundred of each other, they all give you the same “we can’t lower the price speech” but after calling almost every Lexus dealership in Canada I found a few that were willing to play ball. In the USA prices are way lower and dealerships appear more willing to negotiate.
Old 05-27-19, 05:13 PM
ShrinkDoc
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by NickCaesar
It’s my 6th car, first warranty I’ve bought. I figure just the radio/nav unit is around 3k to replace so even if just that breaks I’d be up. Plus the peace of mind is sooo comforting. The prices are kinda fixed, each dealer is within a few hundred of each other, they all give you the same “we can’t lower the price speech” but after calling almost every Lexus dealership in Canada I found a few that were willing to play ball. In the USA prices are way lower and dealerships appear more willing to negotiate.
Agreed. Our cars are basically computers on wheels. The electronics are severely pricey. I one bought an ECU for a 69 VW fastback. It was $800 in the 1990's--equivalent to $1500 today. I bought my car from a Ford dealer who offered various plans. After much hand=wringing, i decided against it--now I have limited peice of mind, but 3K in the bank just in case. It's a no win it seems.
Old 05-28-19, 07:34 AM
JNP1227
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by NickCaesar
+ 1 on this.

I am happy i got the extended warranty. Although the engine and transmission are rock solid, the electronics and other random things make the warranty worth it in my opinion.

I had my Radio unit replaced twice due to "black screen", drivers heated seat, struts, front diff inner seal (random). If you add the cost up of those including labor- it exceeds well over the 1700$ i spent on the extended warranty.
Old 05-31-19, 04:09 AM
lpandroc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks everyone, much appreciated...went with 8 yr platinum with Troy

Originally Posted by JNP1227
+ 1 on this.

I am happy i got the extended warranty. Although the engine and transmission are rock solid, the electronics and other random things make the warranty worth it in my opinion.

I had my Radio unit replaced twice due to "black screen", drivers heated seat, struts, front diff inner seal (random). If you add the cost up of those including labor- it exceeds well over the 1700$ i spent on the extended warranty.

Thanks everyone, much appreciated...went with 8 yr platinum with troy
Old 06-26-19, 03:56 PM
btanchors
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lpandroc
Thanks everyone, much appreciated...went with 8 yr platinum with troy
Who is Troy, what is his contact information, and can he sell the extended warranties for Toyota models as well as Lexus models?
Old 07-01-19, 08:33 AM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Originally Posted by btanchors
Who is Troy, what is his contact information, and can he sell the extended warranties for Toyota models as well as Lexus models?
Troy Dietrich or something like that
Old 07-03-19, 08:05 PM
enkrypt3d
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a somewhat related question - how much is the labor to replace the water pump? Mine is making this noise but it's not that loud yet.... it only has 39K miles on it and it's only 3 years old so I'm hoping to get ahead of this. It's still under warranty so would this be covered? Thanks